9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

370 posts in this topic

I would like to go to Dortmund soon , but going by regional train , as required by my 9 euro ticket , takes at least 7 hours. But what is this flixtrain thing which comes up in my searches? Is my 9 euor ticket valid on this?

2 minutes ago, colincostello said:

I would like to go to Dortmund soon , but going by regional train , as required by my 9 euro ticket , takes at least 7 hours.

Well, it costs 9 EUR a month unlimited use ... of course it won't be super fast.

2 minutes ago, colincostello said:

But what is this flixtrain thing which comes up in my searches? Is my 9 euor ticket valid on this?

Flixtrain belongs to Flix, the same company with buses.  So, no, not valid there.  

I bought an ICE ticket to the Netherlands. By regional trains it would take me forever from Munich. Probably changing 4 times and waiting periods as well 👻.

Took my first 9€ trip today, it would have cost 20€ plus normally. Trains seemed a bit busier than usual.

Might I mention a wise saying by Donald J Trump: "people like cheap stuff, but they do not trust free stuff". Seems to apply here😉

I did the same. I bought an ICE ticket to the destination and used the 9 euro to navigate around town, using the bus Ubahn, SBahn etc...

Well worth having for sure. I hope it stays.

28 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Well worth having for sure. I hope it stays.

Funny, I was thinking that the other day, as the monthly price is the same as I would normally pay for a day ticket.

I think it will and has encouraged many more people to use the trains.

However, it seems they are more likely to put up the prices after the 3 months to compensate.

The monthly ticket in Munich inner zone is 60 Euros, to the first outer zone 95, with a huge 225 Euros for the entire network.

A ticket for the entire german train network, which is what this 9 Euros ticket is, is akin to the dbahn100 card, some 4144 Euros!!!! or 345 Euros a month.

Looking to Germany's neighbour, Austria. Vienna has an annual 365 Euro ticket ( 30 Euros a month) which seemed to cover everywhere within the city and a 1095 Euro annual (90 Euros/month) countrywide 'climate' ticket.

BC100 used to be available for one-time purchase for a month €319. I bought one, made sure the month had 31 days.

In Oesterreich 365€ is for one Bundesland, 730€ for two, €1095 for all.

Lots of building work round Berlin, trains to the Ostsee are interrupted between Berlin and Oranienburg & between Berlin and Bernau (bei Berlin), people are advised to go elsewhere (where?).

I am scared of being told to leave an overfull train and being stranded at Kratzeburg or Nechlin😕

Used my 9€ ticket today to travel on a 'chauffeur-driven Mercedes' (bus), only me and the driver on board. I have not used buses much, but with the 9€ ticket they are quite convenient, it is great not to have to buy a ticket (puzzle out which ticket, single, return, rover, exact fare?)

There are enough buses in my rural area, not just at school times.

That was not my last trip in a chauffeur-driven Mercedes😃

I have been using my 9€ ticket quite a bit over the last 5 days, had a nice ride down to Lenggries today  but sad to see that there is a significant minority of passengers who are not wearing masks and even more who only put them on when boarding the train even in the underground Ubahn stations. There appears to be no enforcement other than on the buses where one driver told a group of unmasked people, over the microphone, to put on masks or get off and would not drive on till they did! I wish the authorities would either enforce the mask wearing rules or scrap them.

Used mine to get to Bremen Airport and back, Wednesday midday was calm and clear, Saturday was hectic and full, but that was very much to be expected :)

So for me a necessary journey with a big saving. All good. 

Kid#3's commute on week 1 in June became a nightmare with so many extra passengers, but this week it was fine again - somewhat of a relief.

Just to work and back home. But oh man the Frankfurt Hbf has been such a crap show with many trains going toward Weinheim being cancelled last minute.

Planned to get the RE3 towards Stralsund today Monday. It was already so full and standing, upstairs and downstairs, I did not get on. I might have been able to get to my destination, standing in a crowd of strangers for two hours, but the train back might have been even busier, I might have not been allowed on and been stranded far from home. Sometimes you can get home on an IC or ICE instead, might cost 30-40€.

I recommend having at least 100€, in case you have to stay in a hotel. But what if all the trains the next day are packed? I do not suppose that Tuesdays are much less popular than Mondays.

Went to a couple of interesting places by bus instead😉 my fourth trip so the price per trip is €2,25.

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Planned to get the RE3 towards Stralsund today Monday. It was already so full and standing, upstairs and downstairs, I did not get on.

You did not think that perhaps you might not be the only one planning a trip to a seaside town and main link to the resort island of Rugen on a hot sunny day?

I figured: Monday, surely lots of people have to work😉

I was smart enough not to try to travel. I wonder what happens to the toilets if the trains are overloaded and twice as many people use them, the tanks soon get full. The disabled toilet was already out of use

Standing would be bad enough, but I usually have a picnic on the train, that would have been very ungemuetlich today.

I have read that wheelchair users are having a difficult time on the overcrowded routes.  So maybe keep a look out and ask if someone needs help find enough  space.  

On 13.6.2022, 22:34:21, Fietsrad said:

I was smart enough not to try to travel. I wonder what happens to the toilets if the trains are overloaded and twice as many people use them, the tanks soon get full. The disabled toilet was already out of use

Disabled also saying this is a problem.  When my sons were young I did carry an empty wide-necked bottle on long journeys, after a less than optimal experience.    For girls and women it is tricker, a she-pee would have helped.  

4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I have read that wheelchair users are having a difficult time on the overcrowded routes.  So maybe keep a look out and ask if someone needs help find enough  space.  

Truth is, wheelchair users may well not be able to travel, or even worse, unable to travel back home in the evening. Perhaps some Bahnsicherheits-People could eject some able-bodied passengers to make space.

Some trains (2-3 coaches) only have one toilet, if that is out of use (full, or flushing tank is empty), you can imagine what might happen.

I am still hoping to make the trip to MV, maybe the trains will not be quite so full in a few weeks.

Took chauffeur-driven Mercedes again today, got several more bus trips planned. Cheap is great and unburocratic is even better, I might never have visited these places otherwise.

Had an "interesting" bus trip today, a trainee driver was at the wheel, his mate sat behind him.

"Do I turn right here?"

'No, straight ahead, you @#€!'

Driver had to issue a tick€t, very rare that, took a few seconds, and the bus was 1-2 minutes late. "Schneller fahren!" (drive faster!) said his mate😣

On the way home I thought a connecting bus had gone, but it turned up fifteen minutes late. I bought the timetable book, that was a good idea. Some of the routes are only served a couple times a day, no buses Saturday or Sunday.

One strange observation: many telephone boxes are still in place, without telephones. They now serve as little free libraries😃

Had six trips so far in June for 9€, planning a couple more at least.

I think I can justify investing 9€ for a ticket for July, still plenty of places I want to visit. Still hoping to squeeze onto a train going towards the Baltic😉