9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

370 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Do you think the sneaky bastards might designate more RE trains as IC to prevent people from using them for free?

Nope. IC/ICE are operated by DB Fernverkehr, RE/RB are operated by DB Regio (and a bunch of private railway companies), these are separate companies, and their business model is also different: DB Regio relies on subsidies from the local governments to keep the prices low, DB Fernverkehr is a for-profit company.  

Now, it works like this: DB Regio will get a bigger subsidy from the local governments, and the latter will get compensated by the federal government. For rail operators nothing will change, for the local governments, it will be a big bureaucratic pain. 

21 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You´ll find (if it´s anything like the train to Stuttgart from here) that some of the trains with the exact same route are not IC merely RE,I think a lot of it depends on where the final destination is.

The Stuttgart to Zurich train along the Gäubahn is one that's IC and also RE, but you'd probably expect that to be an IC train and the RE classification is there to make it sort of look like a regional train, and some regional tickets are apparently valid (but not the €9 ticket) - all very confusing. There are RB and RE trains to Rottweil and Singen respectively, but not very many of them so that could be a PITA if you're stuck waiting for the one train you can use. 

Half the problem is it's a single line thanks to the French occupying forces nicking one set of tracks after the war.

In the VBB* some of the IC/ICEs can normally be used by Nahvehrkehrsticket holders. The yellow departure posters at the stations show TWO train numbers: ICE... and RE....

* rules may be different elsewhere.

This is useful because some of the REs only run every two hours.

I think 9€ tickets are not valid on these IC/ICEs, but they are valid before 9:00 unlike normal off-peak tickets.

One is advised to avoid traveling at busy times, fortunately there are some trains at attractive times, I fancy the 03:56 from Frankfurt/Oder to Magdeburg, it runs every day😉

17 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

This is useful because some of the REs only run every two hours.

That´s why the tickets are only €9.

I think the DB site tends to show the fastest connections, which may often include IC, and I couldn't get it to change preference.  Looking at the same destination on the Öffi app which I mostly use, came up straight away with only regional trains, and not a huge time difference.

I find Öffi very good for journey planning, except for unexpected platform changes, for which the DB app is more up to the minute.

37 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

I think the DB site tends to show the fastest connections, which may often include IC, and I couldn't get it to change preference.  Looking at the same destination on the Öffi app which I mostly use, came up straight away with only regional trains, and not a huge time difference.

I find Öffi very good for journey planning, except for unexpected platform changes, for which the DB app is more up to the minute.

It may default to fastest options, but if you click just above the "Search" button, the next screeen has 2 tabs.  The options one gives a huge choice including only regional trains.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Yep, filling up trains that nobody uses.

The Nuremberg - Munich RE is one of the fewest, if not the only regional train using the fast ICE track. Yes, it is once every 2 hours because otherwise this track is used by ICEs. This is not the only way to get between the cities, but the fastest one: it takes 2 hours. Alternative trains use "normal" tracks, the travel time is 3 hours.

Of course, ICE is only 1 hour, but you pay much more for that privilege, unless you are lucky to get some discounted tickets.

This train was always full, and I don't think this will change for worse. It will be the same.

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

It may default to fastest options, but if you click just above the "Search" button, the next screeen has 2 tabs.  The options one gives a huge choice including only regional trains.

Thank you, will look next time!

I am  off to the Harz moutains on June 1st. Thanks for pointing out there may be packed trains . I will catch an early train just to be sure of getting a seat,

1 hour ago, colincostello said:

I am  off to the Harz moutains on June 1st. Thanks for pointing out there may be packed trains . I will catch an early train just to be sure of getting a seat,

Probably what most of the people standing on your train will have thought ;-)

Could be that so many people try to travel back in the evening that the police have to clear some out of the train, not sure I fancy spending the night on the platform at Halberstadt, even in summer.

Still, you can get the lightly-loaded 03:29 train to Magdeburg the next morning😉

12 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Is this 9 euros for all 3 months ? Or every month?

Please see page 1 first post.

9€ per calendar month or part thereof, or 27€ for 3 months/92 days.

If you buy one on 29.6 it is only valid two days. Still absurdly cheap😉

Train travel can be agreeable, bus travel is usually not pleasant. A warning for those who have not used transit for some years: nearly all vehicles have air-conditioning, usually set to 30°, and the windows can not be opened😕

On 25.5.2022 13:00:29, kaffeemitmilch said:

Got it. Perdon.

Do you think the sneaky bastards might designate more RE trains as IC to prevent people from using them for free?

I think it only works the the other way round, IC/ICE can be RE too but RE can not be IC/ICE.

Typically German: complicated, smells of work😉

Yesterday, a simple rule was announced:“The ticket is valid in all trains, which are not white.“

50 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yesterday, a simple rule was announced:“The ticket is valid in all trains, which are not white.“

I do not believe that😉

Some of the ODEG double-decker RE trains are white (and yellow).

But if I see a dirty grey ICE, may I use my 9€ ticket on that?😅😜

On 26/05/2022, 12:05:06, Fietsrad said:

9€ per calendar month or part thereof, or 27€ for 3 months/92 days.

If you buy one on 29.6 it is only valid two days. Still absurdly cheap😉

Train travel can be agreeable, bus travel is usually not pleasant. A warning for those who have not used transit for some years: nearly all vehicles have air-conditioning, usually set to 30°, and the windows can not be opened😕

Hahaha I loved the air conditioning set to 30 sentence. I can only speak for the SBahn and some regional bahnen in my area but fully agree. Especially with the heat in the Rhein main region i usually get to work sweaty despite showering beforehand. In the winter they heat the bahn a little too much as well and I end up with a sweaty face too with the ffp2 mask.