9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

289 posts in this topic

The 9€ for 90 days ticket is available soon (actually 9€ for 30/31 or 27€ for 92).

I shall buy one but I think the trains will be unpleasantly full as they get near Berlin (or Leipzig, Koeln, Mainhattan, Muenchen), could be disagreeable and dangerous.

Good chance to get local buses to interesting places maybe, just check the timetable to avoid missing the last bus home.

Is it the same price for kids 6+ and dogs, as they are normally 1/2 price here?  Bodensee region is sure to be very full too.

11 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Is it the same price for kids 6+ and dogs, as they are normally 1/2 price here?

Ooh, now we're getting somewhere. Hehe.

Don't know if we'll get to use it much for long distance, but I'll get at least the one for June and take the tram around. I have taken public transport in this city maybe fewer than 50 times in 9 years (mostly cycle or walk, but sometimes drive), so I might not use it that much, but still more than 3 single tickets worth :)

• '6-14-Jährige benötigen eine eigene Fahrkarte bzw. ein eigenes 9-Euro-Ticket, sie können nicht kostenfrei mitgenommen werden'.

- that was from the DB website. Seems amazing that the under 6 will still be free, really.

Dogs seem more complex:

'Für Hunde kann grundsätzlich kein 9-Euro-Ticket erworben werden.

Hunde können aber, wie sonst üblich, gemäß der regulären Tarifbestimmungen, je nach Verbund ggf. mit einem separaten Ticket, mitgenommen werden. Dies gilt auch für Blinden- und Assistenzhunde, hier gelten, die bestehenden Regelungen weiter.'

Available from 23rd May. Yay! 

They are valid for the RE sections of a longer journey:

...im Vor- und Nachlauf zu einem Fernverkehrszug ist das 9-Euro-Ticket mit einem Fernverkehrsticket kombinierbar. Allerdings ist für die Strecke im Fernverkehr dann immer ein separates Ticket notwendig.

36 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

The 9€ for 90 days ticket is available soon (actually 9€ for 30/31 or 27€ for 92).

I shall buy one but I think the trains will be unpleasantly full as they get near Berlin (or Leipzig, Koeln, Mainhattan, Muenchen), could be disagreeable and dangerous.

Good chance to get local buses to interesting places maybe, just check the timetable to avoid missing the last bus home.

I would doubt that. I am one of the few persons on this forum (if not the only one) who used Nahverkehr to as far as Rostock (from Nuremberg). I loved it, but I don't think this is something many people would like to do just because you pay 9 euro instead of 40.

Rather, this ticket will be used by people who are buying Länder Tickets every weekend anyway. I also don't expect anyone to stop driving because of this. It's not money that motivates people to drive, it's lack of trains and buses. 

I deem it a bad idea. That money should rather be used to improve public transport in rural areas.

Someone sitting on a train can not be driving, might discourage them for a bit😉

What with dogs and cycles and journies using Fernzuege/express trains as well as local trains, it could get very complicated. The dog might have to pay more than her keeper.

As someone said, the politicians do not travel by train much, although Bundestagsabgeordnete do get free train travel.

Plenty of trains are unpleasantly full already, Berlin to Stralsund is interesting, the route via Demmin is closed so even 9€ pilgrims will (try to?) go via Anklam.

I have sussed it, planning a couple train trips in the last week of May, then I shall stay at home and take a few local bus trips.

Motor fuel prices are being artificially kept down too, how crazy is that? And who pays in the end? We do: "no: New Taxes!"

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Is it the same price for kids 6+ and dogs, as they are normally 1/2 price here?  Bodensee region is sure to be very full too.

Children 6 plus need their own ticket.  But 9 Euro for the whole month... so like 2,25 per week.  Unlimited travel on Nahrverkehr.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I see it as a promotion to get people using trains and liking it who normally wouldn't.

Well yes.  But of course it will also get people who would normally not get out and about much, getting out and about more. Which is not bad.    We had free weekend city transport for a few weeks recently,  Survey showed it encouraged a lot of people who normally walk or cycle to hop on, rather than not drive.  But the dynamics are different.  Small area.   Some concern about unwashed Berlin plebs rocking up to the snobby Ostee towns at the weekend. And similar to Sylt from Hamburg.

Edit.  I meant I think it is try and lure people away from using their cars, sorry if unclear.

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Some concern about unwashed Berlin plebs rocking up to the snobby Ostee towns at the weekend. And similar to Sylt from Hamburg.

Their money is no good there or what?

It does make travelling between federal states a bit simpler. I wanted to go to Vorpommern, one rail clerk told me I should have to get off at Nechlin, and wait two hours for the next train😉

Mind, another rail person said that was rubbish, dunno who to believe🚂

People are advised not to take cycles, you can hire one at the destination. Same for dogs maybe, can I hire one at Westerland/Sylt?

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Their money is no good there or what?

I think the worry is they will rock up with a cheap crate of beer and some sarnies.  And not contribute.  Ha.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Rather, this ticket will be used by people who are buying Länder Tickets every weekend anyway.

We live sans 🚗.  This is a 🎁 for us.  I walk and bike all over too, but we still spend 9+€ per month on 🚍 and 🚂.  I spent 13€ yesterday to take the dog b/f to the groomer (20 min. 🚂 ride).  We just can’t lose.

I also don't expect anyone to stop driving because of this. It's not money that motivates people to drive, it's lack of trains and buses. 

Our German friends don’t seem to like public transport as much as we do.  😂

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

it's lack of trains and buses.

Or that they don't go to where you want to go...

2 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

We live sans 🚗.  This is a 🎁 for us.  I walk and bike all over too, but we still spend 9+€ per month on 🚍 and 🚂.  I spent 13€ yesterday to take the dog b/f to the groomer (20 min. 🚂 ride).  We just can’t lose.

Our German friends don’t seem to like public transport as much as we do.  😂

We also have not had a car.  3 children.  Jobticket, plus cheap Stadtmobile carshare, which is flexible, so can get something big for IKEA.  Or whatever.  And wonderful not having to worry about repairs, insurance, or even gas.  The car comes with a credit card you use to fill the tank.   There are calculations you can get on this, and how many miles you have to drive to make having your own car cheaper.  We come nowhere near the limit.  Also, the lack of worrying about all normal stuff, servicing, etc.  Great service.   Obviously we live near a city, in a big metropolitan area, with other cities well connected.

7 minutes ago, HEM said:

Or that they don't go to where you want to go...

I know people who have no idea about the Ruftaxi they can use here.  Obviously they are not everywhere, but even when they are available they do not use them.

It does not cost anything extra for most cardholders.  I found it amazing.  Lots of people I know do not use it, though they could.  Not sure why.