9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

275 posts in this topic

Thousands? Millions! The taz had a good article a while ago about Sylt, the fine people there fear an invasion of working-class people who live in cellar flats in Hamburg-Barmbeck, and who bring their own crates of astra beer, the very thought of it😉

I fear that the 9€ ticket will lead to chaos. I plan to travel very little by train this summer, fortunately I do not have to travel.

22 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Kid#4 was travelling home by train today and it all went wrong, starting with a platform change he didn't get information about - he bought various tickets to cover the new möglichkeiten he needed to use to right his mistake, but ended up on a train going the wrong way. Train dude told him to get off and wait for one coming back-a-ways, which he did, but then new train dude decided he was a chancer and fined him 60€. He gets a chance to phone tomorrow and plead his case. We will see.

Phoning is one thing.  But if get brushed off on phone, try writing.  Backed up with photocopies of all the tickets he bought, plus times of trains, and maybe proof of his journey (ie from school to home).    

53 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Humpf. If they don't carry an ID card for fear of losing it, I guess they don't have their bank card on them  when they are out and about either.

I am talking about not carrying around an official ID, such as a passport. I carry around my Führerschein and a copy of my passport. 

2 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I am talking about not carrying around an official ID, such as a passport. I carry around my Führerschein and a copy of my passport. 

Where I go on holiday, I need proper ID to book in.  Witnessed a big group with young children being turned away. On an island, nowhere else to stay.  The children were already cranky,  facing a long journey home.  They were German and have no idea why not one of the adults had an Ausweiss with them.  So up to you, but I would not bother risking it. 

19 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Locally this is rarely going to be a problem.  Proving ID locally is easy.  Police here stopped my husband, turned right on red on his bike, and he had no ID.  But they had access to the local system, and could confirm the name and address.

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

This is the problem with countries with ID Cards.If you come from that country then carrying a card around is not a problem but if you´re a foreigner then carrying an acceptable form of ID ie passport is a real pain in the arse because renewing a passport is a pita but reporting and replacing a lost passport is an even bigger pita.

Why is an ID card an official and acceptable form of ID but a driving licence is not?

Passports, Keleth! I used to go to Spain a lot in the 1980s and 1990s ( Spanish wife ). And stay in pensiones. You had to show your passport at reception and, often , some old dear ( the mother in charge ) would take your passport, slowly grab a pen and write down your details.

My passport said in English " United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

The old dear , not being an Oxford Professor of linguistics, would try to make head or tail of it.

Now, because of the pecularities of Spanish grammar , would usually misinterpret my passport and write down ( under nationality ): Irlanda der Norte.

Köstlich!

45 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Why is an ID card an official and acceptable form of ID but a driving licence is not?

Because it was not issued by an Ausweisbehörde.

And just think, up till recently, you kept your initial Führerschein forever.

--> there you are at age 80 with a Führerschein that has a photo of you at age 18. Why, that could be anybody ;-)

And this will still be the case for the older generation, for example, anyone born before 1953 has up the 2033 to exchange his Führerschein --> they will be over 80: https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/suche/faq-fuehrerschein-umtausch-1842574

All the "amtliche Bildausweise" are replaced every 10 years at the least.

--> always a photo that actually looks like you do now.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Locally this is rarely going to be a problem.  Proving ID locally is easy.  Police here stopped my husband, turned right on red on his bike, and he had no ID.  But they had access to the local system, and could confirm the name and address.

I should probably clarify that I am talking about locally. I don’t plan on using the 9 Euro card very much for overnight trips (no travel plans this summer as I am busy with a move to Leipzig). I always bring my passport if it is an overnight trip. 

My mind is thinking who carries around a passport every day to travel on local transport as that is what I see the biggest benefit of the 9 Euro ticket, IMO. 

55 minutes ago, john g. said:

Passports, Keleth! I used to go to Spain a lot in the 1980s and 1990s ( Spanish wife ). And stay in pensiones. You had to show your passport at reception and, often , some old dear ( the mother in charge ) would take your passport, slowly grab a pen and write down your details.

Do you remember currency controls?  Not allowed to take more than ? 25 quid out of the country.  And it was noted in your passport.  Well into the 70s.    Seems a world away now.  And how people with dosh must have cheated.  Think we need a nostalgia thread for the boring ancient here.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

This still happens.   

11 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

They can go with me to my residence and I can present it there.

That´s exactly what police did when they caught me without my license. They followed me to my home, had a look at my license and waived their fingers at me.

8 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

My mind is thinking who carries around a passport every day to travel on local transport as that is what I see the biggest benefit of the 9 Euro ticket, IMO. 

I agree completely, but I don't see the problem with the eAT as it fits in your wallet and is exactly what the Germans are having to do with their ID cards.

10 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Sometimes Germany feels like moving backwards.   We moved from paper subway tickets to electronic tickets that need a physical form of ID.   Even my crappy third world country implemented already electronic IDs you can carry in your phone.  Maybe Germany will do it in 20 years and of course, not for foreigners.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I agree completely, but I don't see the problem with the eAT as it fits in your wallet and is exactly what the Germans are having to do with their ID cards.

The eAT is not valid without your passport. 

4 hours ago, jeba said:

That´s exactly what police did when they caught me without my license. They followed me to my home, had a look at my license and waived their fingers at me.

But I always carry my license. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

The eAT is a half assed solution, because it is still extremely important for us not to lose it.  It is not something you can easily replace in a couple of days if you lose it.   And you will need it if you want to travel internationally.     And the eAT must mostly be together with the passport.  So they made a card that has to be carried around with the passport, it is again, like a bad joke.

On top of that, there are still plenty of people with just the sticker on the passport instead of the eAT.

Germany should give us some sort of ID for foreigners, just like almost every other country in the world that issues IDs.

P.S., But to be fair, it is going shit for the Germans as well, at least in some cities, it is not like before that it took a couple of days to get an Ausweis or a German Passport, now just the appointment takes months.

11 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Because it was not issued by an Ausweisbehörde.

I know that´s the technical reason.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Germany should give us some sort of ID for foreigners, just like almost every other country in the world that issues IDs.

Completely agree about the foreigner ID. I'd have happily paid some money on my first Anmeldung to get an official ID and it annoys me that having paid however much for a fancy holographic card with my photo, height, eye-colour and address they say it isn't official ID (even though they make a big deal about the electronic ID function). 

5 hours ago, jeba said:

When that happened to me all I had to do was go to the police station the next day and show my licence.