9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

275 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

The ticket is personengebunden for a specified individual only, I think you have to write your name on it.

Probably means you're meant to have ID. At least in theory.

18 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Rather, this ticket will be used by people who are buying Länder Tickets every weekend anyway. I also don't expect anyone to stop driving because of this. It's not money that motivates people to drive, it's lack of trains and buses. 

Although we've lived in Germany for 10 years I still remember two major factors that stops people using trains in the UK. The trains have been very expensive when compared to here and filthy, it is that that puts people off using trains rather than frequency of service

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Their money is no good there or what?

Snobbery exists the world over, the sad thing is most of the snobs can't afford to be and are often of a lower moral standard than those they deem to be below them.

16 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Our German friends don’t seem to like public transport as much as we do.  😂

You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it. As I  said earlier British trains are expensive and filthy and if your using a regional line infrequent as well. I love the public transport here, I have to go to Mannheim every 4 weeks and the train is superb, the most I wait at the Hbf for a train to come home again is 20 minutes, that coupled with being able to use the trams on a day ticket makes using the car uneconomical.

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

These may be really dim questions - I've never used a Bahnkarte before, just normal tickets. With this 9€ card, do you still book a ticket for each journey as normal, but then enter the card in the required field? You don't just hop on and off randomly, because that would be chaos? Can you be a Schwarzfahrer whilst holding one of these things? 

This is not a BahnCard, which is something that you have to have on you additionally to the real train ticket.

The 9€ ticket is already a real, complete ticket, one that is valid on all public transport in Germany, except ICE, IC oder EC trains and the 1st class of regional trains (so take care to stay in the 2nd class area of regional trains!): https://www-br-de.translate.goog/nachrichten/bayern/9-euro-ticket-kaufen-faq-was-gilt-in-bayern-und-deutschland,T3o4Jy3?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

So yes, you just hop on and off randomly.

And no, you cannot become a Schwarzfahrerin if you have it on you and can prove that you are really you (through your Personalausweis or passport).

15 hours ago, yesterday said:

Where do I get it from ?  Main train station ??

Do I down load an app, whats it called ?

15 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Should be available from ticket machines at stations starting Monday 23.5.

The ticket is personengebunden for a specified individual only, I think you have to write your name on it.

I originally heard it won't be available at the machines, only online or at the ticket counter. maybe they have changed that, though. 

39 minutes ago, tor said:

I originally heard it won't be available at the machines, only online or at the ticket counter. maybe they have changed that, though. 

From their website...

Jeder kann sich ein 9-Euro-Monatsticket über Website, App oder den stationären Handel buchen

I´m presuming that means the machines as well

There again who knows it could mean just the counters.

Found this @  The most important information about the 9-Euro-Ticket | Münchner Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH (mvg.de) , for Munich 

Information on the upcoming 9-Euro-Ticket in Germany

Starting June 1 2022 a subsidized ticket for public transport will be launched. The 9-Euro-Ticket can then be purchased for the months June, July and August 2022. At only 9 Euros per month it will offer all local and regional transport throughout Germany for a limited time. For detailed information in English and other languages activate the translation tool in the upper right hand corner.

The 9-Euro-Ticket

When will the 9-Euro ticket be available?
The Federal Council approved the 9-euro ticket on 20 May. The pre-sale starts on Sunday, 22 May. The promotion period starts on Wednesday, June 1, 2022.

Where can I buy my 9 Euro ticket?
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to buy the 9 Euro ticket. We offer the following options:

• Our tip: The 9-Euro-Ticket as HandyTicket in the app MVG Fahrinfo München. This is the fastest and easiest way to get your ticket! The digital 9-euro ticket will be available in the app from 1 June. Don't have the app yet? No problem, click here to download.
  • As a paper ticket, the 9-euro ticket will be available from 22 May at all MVG machines with touchscreen. It will also be available from 23 May in the MVG customer centres and at the MVG ticket partners.

3 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

So yes, you just hop on and off randomly.

:o

Thank you! This I had not really expected.

It sounds like total chaos and trains horribly overstuffed with masses of un-booked passengers - how very un-German, if I might use a generalisation.

Hey ho, in for a penny, in for a pound. One way to get Omicron through the population super speedily, I suppose...

53 minutes ago, kiplette said:

It sounds like total chaos and trains horribly overstuffed with masses of un-booked passengers - how very un-German, if I might use a generalisation.

But for 9 Euro for a month, it is very good value just for getting around locally, on the buses and trams,    And to make it fair for people who have already got season ticket, they are getting refund.

56 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Hey ho, in for a penny, in for a pound. One way to get Omicron through the population super speedily, I suppose...

Who pissed on your chips?

8 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But for 9 Euro for a month, it is very good value just for getting around locally, on the buses and trams,

I hadn't considered this. Right on.

11 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But for 9 Euro for a month, it is very good value just for getting around locally, on the buses and trams,    And to make it fair for people who have already got season ticket, they are getting refund.

and it makes the roads freer for families like ours who need a full trunk and four bicycles to go a few days on vacation. I call it win-win :P

Though is this true for all local transport areas?  I know it works for the VRN here.  Best to check.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

This is how trains usually work. I guess some people book seats on regional trains, and I guess it's still possible, but generally people just buy a ticket. I've got a 4-er Ticket for Stuttgart in my wallet and they've no idea when or if I'm going to use the remaining journeys.

When I first heard this I thought it would just be the local transport, so it was a surprise that it was regional trains too and even more of a surprise that they've made it one ticket for all of Germany. If I were taking the short journey to work every day it would cost me >€100 per month, so €9 is quite a saving. For people who use their cars because it's both cheaper and more convenient it's going to be pretty tempting, and especially as it's summer. The problem is come September they'll likely go back in their cars.

I don't know how the costs would compare, but I think it would have been better to do something like 50% off all tickets for a year.

2 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I guess some people book seats on regional trains

Majority of regional trains this is not possible.  Which can be a headache in normal times, if you are trying to get across the country on a mix of IC and RB, with a bike. I would guess with the RE/RB trains being full, this could be even more of a headache. 

I think the whole 9 euro thing is mainly aimed at local travel.   HD is planning to go free withint the central city area next year.  To try and get people out of their cars.

Yes, the only requirement is that you can show a photo ID as the ticket is only valid with this.

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

Who pissed on your chips?

:lol:

Fair enough - 

5 hours ago, Dembo said:

This is how trains usually work.

this is of course true - so it is pretty much business as usual.

Just that we have recently been using the Bahn mostly for journeys involving booking a seat where you can't get a ticket for the train if there isn't space, so it seemed unreasonably chaotic - no doubt it'll be busy but fine. And wonderfully cheap for regular commuters.

9 hours ago, john_b said:

Yes, the only requirement is that you can show a photo ID as the ticket is only valid with this.

Thank you.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry, just read that the line from Joachimsthal to Angela-Merkel-Stadt Templin is to be closed again. It was reopened in 2018, the very first reopening in Brandenburg since 1990.😕

I plan to travel it again, a lovely ride through the woods. Perhaps if enough 9€ people used the line, services could be continued.

Trostpflaster, consolation prize: a new old line to Stahnsdorf is to be reactivated soon: 2032, only years to wait!😉

Some IC and ICE services can normally be used with RE tickets, on routes where there are very few stopping trains. Still unclear whether 9€ tickets will be valid.

35 000 9€ tickets have been sold already.

13 hours ago, john_b said:

How strict are they going to be with IDs? Can I just use my Führerschein? I don’t usually carry around my passport (only a copy of it).