9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

298 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Well yes.  But of course it will also get people who would normally not get out and about much, getting out and about more. Which is not bad.  

I was thinking I'd start going into the office a lot more as it won't cost me any extra and it's a chance to go visit a few places on the regional trains. Not that the cost is the reason I don't do these things now, but when it's essentially free it does give you a nudge. 

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

I was thinking I'd start going into the office a lot more as it won't cost me any extra and it's a chance to go visit a few places on the regional trains. Not that the cost is the reason I don't do these things now, but when it's essentially free it does give you a nudge. 

Me too.

8 minutes ago, Dembo said:

it's a chance to go visit a few places on the regional trains.

Yup, that's my plan.

I also want to go on the bit between Kiel and Rendsburg where there's a really cool bridge. 

1 minute ago, kiplette said:

Yup, that's my plan.

I also want to go on the bit between Kiel and Rendsburg where there's a really cool bridge. 

What a lovely ideas.   I loved the train from here via Strassburg down to the south of France.   And to Italy.  Waking at early dawn going through the alpines passes, and not long after the coast.   

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

I know people who have no idea about the Ruftaxi they can use here.  Obviously they are not everywhere, but even when they are available they do not use them.

It does not cost anything extra for most cardholders.  I found it amazing.  Lots of people I know do not use it, though they could.  Not sure why.

Part of the reason is the inflexibility. Where I lived you sometimes had to order them the day before.

Okay, here it is easier.  Probably a question of frequency of use.  But great when it works.  I think if they are trying to encourage public transport they could improve this, for not much dosh, compared to the price of the bus service they have axed.

Looks like millions of people have the same idea, did I see 30 million mentioned in Bild Zeitung? I shall be lying low for the first few days at least.

I was under impression, as well as my colleagues, they intentionally  offered 9€ ticket in summer months, because most people will be having holidays somewhere in Majorca and won't be using trains in Germany at all.  

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Where do I get it from ?  Main train station ??

Do I down load an app, whats it called ?

Should be available from ticket machines at stations starting Monday 23.5.

The ticket is personengebunden for a specified individual only, I think you have to write your name on it.

6 minutes ago, SpaceOne said:

I was under impression, as well as my colleagues, they intentionally  offered 9€ ticket in summer months, because most people will be having holidays somewhere in Majorca and won't be using trains in Germany at all.  

Ha ha, many politicians might be on Majorca, or getting a helicopter to Sylt😉

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Children 6 plus need their own ticket.  But 9 Euro for the whole month... so like 2,25 per week.  Unlimited travel on Nahrverkehr.

Except in Berlin. The (free) BVG Ticket will be automatically upgraded to 9€ ticket at no cost.

Sylt is rammed cars in Pfingsten and the summer, brought over on the train shuttle.  When it rains, the whole place (which is really quite beautiful) is just a huge traffic jam.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Except in Berlin. The (free) BVG Ticket will be automatically upgraded to 9€ ticket at no cost.

How wonderful that school children get free ticket.   We do not have that here.  But many of the travel cards here are doing the same 9 euro deal for no extra dosh.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I see it as a promotion to get people using trains and liking it who normally wouldn't.

TBH if that´s what they´re aiming for then they´re not going to succeed. The no ICE usage usually induces either long waits or lots of bus rides in place of trains.

The wife on the odd occasion goes to her friends on Bodensee and uses her behindertenausweis to travel as it then costs her nothing and from what I can see the €9 ticket has the same restrictions.

The €9 ticket is a good idea if you have plenty of time on your hands.

It's kind of funny that the fact that the tickets have been available now is being trumpeted everywhere - it's not as if you can use the tickets before June 1st whether you buy them today or in ten days time, and apparently there is no limit on the number of tickets that will be sold so it's not like there is a rush to secure one before they sell out...

Anyway, I shall be purchasing one, for sure!

30 minutes ago, john_b said:

It's kind of funny that the fact that the tickets have been available now is being trumpeted everywhere - it's not as if you can use the tickets before June 1st whether you buy them today or in ten days time, and apparently there is no limit on the number of tickets that will be sold so it's not like there is a rush to secure one before they sell out...

Anyway, I shall be purchasing one, for sure!

It actually strikes me as a good idea as for one it will maybe stop big queues at the machines on the 1st June and it´s also nice to see it being promoted before the start date.

12 hours ago, kiplette said:

Yes, it's a wonderful view if the weather holds.

BTW Did you know that DB held out for ages fitting holding tanks to their trains used on that line?

People complained for years about 

toilet paper (and much worse!) falling from the trains into their gardens!!

All clean now. The WCs on the trains can be safely used when in the station these days( if clean enough, but that's something else)

If you like bridges, try bridge walking at

https://www.bridgewalking.com/

1 hour ago, john_b said:

It's kind of funny that the fact that the tickets have been available now is being trumpeted everywhere

Monday is the start, I think. It's kind of necessary really because otherwise the first week of June will be chaotic with people trying to buy and travel.

13 hours ago, snowingagain said:

What a lovely ideas.

Maybe we could build a list of track stretches which are interesting/fun/especially scenic which people might want to visit...

TBF most of my journeys will be really local I think.

Due to an inconvenient car failure (new clutch :o) when we were going over to the UK a couple of weeks back, we used the train from Harwich to Ipswich to hire a car, and the journey along the coastal inlet was lovely, with oak woodland right next to the sea, and us right next to that - an experience you don't get by driving straight out of Harwich onto the A46, for sure!

These may be really dim questions - I've never used a Bahnkarte before, just normal tickets. With this 9€ card, do you still book a ticket for each journey as normal, but then enter the card in the required field? You don't just hop on and off randomly, because that would be chaos? Can you be a Schwarzfahrer whilst holding one of these things? 

I use the BVG app for tickets these days so must admit I had completely forgotten about traditional methods of ticket purchase!