Shall I take Statins?

43 posts in this topic

After a recent health check , my doctor told me my Cholesterol level was 17 %  and at the age of 67 , this was a little too high. So he reommeneded some Statin pills. I am reluctant to accept this as there has been some bad publicity about these Statins and their side effects. Nor have I ever been fond of taking pills. I am now looking at natural ways to get my Cjolesterol level down.

Any advice welcome.

Hello Colin. It’s such a shame that doctors generally offer medication rather than advise on simple lifestyle changes. Rather than advise you where to Google for such advice that could lead you to much unsuitable advice, I suggest that you ask your Hausarzt for an Überweisung to a nutritionist. Many practices have their own advisors. All the best

I don't know what 17% means. Normally, you get your LDL and HDL numbers or a combination of both. LDL being the "bad" cholesterol.

Maybe terms have changed but I was just tested some months ago.

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Hello Colin. It’s such a shame that doctors generally offer medication rather than advise on simple lifestyle changes. Rather than advise you where to Google for such advice that could lead you to much unsuitable advice, I suggest that you ask your Hausarzt for an Überweisung to a nutritionist. Many practices have their own advisors. All the best

Do they really prefer to prescribe drugs? I could believe that. My theory is that the patient often knows more than the doctor, who may not have had the malady concerned.

Doctors have a lot of Streuwissen, outline knowledge, but there are so many illnesses that they can not know about many in detail.

Just read in Apotheken Umschau, someone wrote in about trying to avoid psycho drugs, the expert was not sympathetic.

My exercise regime is good. I go to my Gym several times a week. My diet could be improved. So I am going to give myself 6 months until my next check up to get my Cholesterol down by changing my diet.  If there is no change then I will take the pills.

Out with the red meat and in with jacket potatoes. Fillings will be Tuna fish or baked beans.But not cheese.

25 minutes ago, colincostello said:

My exercise regime is good. I go to my Gym several times a week.

What do you do at the Gym?

be careful countervailing a doctor's advice with some people on a chat board.

if you taken any pills for any reason, watch for side-effects and let your doctor know asap should they appear.  also, if it's a measurable condition, such as yours, be sure to schedule a follow up visit to remeasure. 

When I go to the Gym , I vary my workout. Sometimes Cardiovascular such as the rowing machine. Sometimes I use the  weights machines and sometimes I use my dumbells at home.

Read 'The great cholesterol con' by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. He has interesting views on statins. 

Cholesterol levels on their own aren´t sufficient to interprete cholesterol levels. There are many more factors that need to be considered, such as e.g. blood pressure, ratio of HDL/LDL, obesity, hereditary disposition, level of physical activity etc. Plus, the mainstream scientific opinion is changing all the time.

Personally, I´m taking chitosan when eating fatty food. It is supposed to "catch" fats and cholesterol in your intestines, so that it won´t be absorbed. In theory, at least. Not sure if it really works, but the only downside I can see is the risk that it reduces absorption of vitamins which need fat for being ingested, which I can manage. Be aware though that cholesterol is produced internally and in many people that accounts for the bulk of your cholesterol level - as opposed to cholesterol intake with food.

Also, make sure that you haven´t eaten for at least 8 hours (12 hours are better) before blood is drawn, otherwise your  measurement may result in an overestimation.

17 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Check your diet and eating habits. Do more exercise. Pretty standard.

- as Luke said, diet and eating habits, and lots of exercise!

Maybe Google for a few tips and tricks that you can easily include in your lifestyle, and see how things are in three months´time. If none of this works, then maybe you should seriously think about taking statins.

So I did a workout today.

I had a heart attack at 41, but for some reason I can maintain Zone 5 heart rate for 37 minutes.

Not even sure my cardio would be that impressed if he saw this.

run.png.0702a3a6de9014db713e65b10bb28aae

You have got a lot fitter, which is great. I am very impressed.   But please, try not to kill yourself.

On 5/13/2022, 11:04:00, emkay said:

@colincostello, have a look at this thread. Maybe @Gambatte can update?

Exactly 1yr ago I had my last cardiologist visit. Actually it was not because my "high" cholesterol, it was to get a Bestatigung that I'm sufficiently fit and healthy for endurance sport, 7hr cycling race in the mountains. The cardiologist that issued the Bestaetigung looked at my "high" cholesterol and stated those values, alltogether, are not high.

Cholesterol values are always 3 values that must be looked together, looking at only 1 or 2 one does not get a true picture.

If I had high cholesterol it wouldn't be because of lifestyle, I eat no fat, I eat more veg and fibers than anyone else, and I do much endurance sport (actually too much).

I was very active as a younger man and I always feel I have a resovoir of fitness I can tap into if needed. I did a marathon in just over 3 hours and still had plenty left in the tank. It is the diet that is the cause of the problem. Time to switch to oily fish and that legendary Mediterranean diet. Off to buy a grater now for the carrots.