Taking my bicycle in the train - Germany and Austria

23 posts in this topic

Perhaps someone in future will be interested, here my update...

All went as planned.

Going to Italy, I dismounted both wheels from the frame, and put the whole thing in a bag (dimension ca 120 x 80 x 30, bigger than all suitcases but still manageable, ca 10kg).

As it was no longer "a bicycle", I didn't need an extra bicycle ticket.

Took the whole with me in the train, plus my "normal bag" of course, from Hamburg to Italy via Austria / Brenner.

Did my holiday in the Dolomites, mixture of hiking and cycling .

On the way back did exactly the same, just I spent 2 days in Austria, climbed the Grossglockner (kind of, cycling up and down the road).

Since it want into a bag, the bicycle was not really a bicycle any more but only a big bag, could have gone in any train or bus. Of course hassle if the train/bus is super full, luckily it wasn't.

All good. If anyone ever interested in more info just get in touch. 

8 hours ago, Gambatte said:

All good. If anyone ever interested in more info just get in touch. 

I'll never have any personal use for this information, @Gambatte, but my family in Germany may. Very interesting and very ingenious!

The autotrain that runs from Böckstein (above Bad Gastein) has put on bike carriage(s) so it is easy to go through the alps from Böckstein to Mallnitz.

Das neue Angebot

Seit 9. Juli bis 11. September verkehren täglich und zusätzlich zur planmäßigen im Stundentakt verkehrenden Autoschleuse vier weitere Fahrradzüge je Fahrtrichtung zwischen Böckstein und Mallnitz-Obervellach, die mit eigenen und barrierefrei zugänglichen Fahrradwagen ausgestattet sind. Jeder dieser Züge verfügt über eine Kapazität von bis zu 100 Fahrradstellplätzen.

Verkehrszeiten der zusätzlichen Radzüge

Abfahrt ab Böckstein nach Mallnitz-Obervellach um 11.50, 12.50, 13.50 und 14.50 Uhr.
Abfahrt ab Mallnitz-Obervellach nach Böckstein um 11.20, 12.20, 13.20 und 14.20 Uhr.

https://www.kleinezeitung.at/kaernten/oberkaernten/6165835/Nach-hoher-Nachfrage_OeBB-erweitern-Angebot-fuer-Radfahrer-in-den