Taking my bicycle in the train - Germany and Austria

23 posts in this topic

I want to travel from Pinneberg, S-H, to Fortezza in Italy (just after the Brenner), via Hamburg, Munich, and Austria, mostly via IC, taking my bicycle.

Anyone familiar with the conditions for transporting a bicycle?

I know many (or all?) IC have like a dedicated wagon for bicycles. I'm more concerned with the 6am regional train from Pinneberg to Hamburg, perhaps bicycles there are not allowed because it's a busy commuter train...

If there is no dedicated wagon i think I can dismount both wheels and pack the whole in a dedicated bag (done it many times in the past, just never yet in DE, bit of a hassle but ok).

Of course I can Google it etc, but it's nice to ask here, likely other TTers bicycle fanatic have experience and are happy to discuss.

Thanks,

Alberto

Best thing to do is log onto the DB site, plan your trip and under 'weitere optoinen' check ' erbindungen mit verfügbaren Fahrradstellplätzen anzeigen '

you need to reserve a ticket for the bike. 

good luck...you will need. 

IC always, require a reservation.    It is not expensive.    If you put your route into the DB website, there is a option at the bottom to choose if you want a route/trains that take bikes.    There are complications on some routes.  Sorry cannot help for this route, though that first early RE train seems to take bikes.  You cannot book bike space on RE trains, first come, first serve.  So if you can try and join a train where it originates, and get there early.  

DB Fahrplan, Auskunft, Tickets, informieren und buchen - Deutsche Bahn

My other advice would be try and get connections that allow for some leeway in case trains are late and you miss a connection.  Although you are entitled to get on the next train, there may not be bike space.    I ended up taking a series of RE trains back from Hannover to HD once, when our more direct train failed.  With small children.  It was hell!  However, if you are going to at peak season it may not be such a problem.  Or get a bike you can fold up and put in a nice neat case.  Then you can just take it as luggage.  Have fun.

Alles klar, thanks a lot.

Just checked the DB website.

They confirm what you guys wrote. They also say it is not possible to buy a bicycle ticket online, only in person at the office or via phone, and like neither of these two options.

How is the whole situation different if I dismount both wheels and transport the bicycle inside a bag? Does it no longer count as bicycle, and I can therefore transport is free of extra cost etc?

From 1.6 through 31.8 this year the 9 €uro ticket will cause local trains, buses, trams, to be much fuller than usual, trying to take a cycle is DISCOURAGED, you can hire one at your destination, haha. Likewise with dogs, perhaps I can borrow a dog at the hotel (sarcasm orf).

In local trains (RE, RB, S) you in any case have no right to take your cycle, even if allowed, there might be no room. You can just get the next train (on many routes, two hours later, might be full too)

2 hours ago, Gambatte said:

How is the whole situation different if I dismount both wheels and transport the bicycle inside a bag? Does it no longer count as bicycle, and I can therefore transport is free of extra cost etc?

A bag is a bag.

Unless it leaks petrol, smells of gas or cries "let me out", DB don't care what's in it.

Good luck finding a luggage rack on a RE train!

You'll just have to keep an eye on it...

If the bag had it's own €9 ticket, then could that justify it being on the seat next to you?

16 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

If the bag had it's own €9 ticket, then could that justify it being on the seat next to you?

People actually try this crap.  Reserving seats, with no tickets.  So they can get a 4 person sleeper, for 2 with minimum cost.  It is such shit.

2 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Alles klar, thanks a lot.

Just checked the DB website.

They confirm what you guys wrote. They also say it is not possible to buy a bicycle ticket online, only in person at the office or via phone, and like neither of these two options.

yep, we did that once in Gardasee and managed to board the express train to Munich. Bicycles in disguise!

38 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

People actually try this crap.  Reserving seats, with no tickets.  So they can get a 4 person sleeper, for 2 with minimum cost.  It is such shit.

Doesn't work though. If the holder of the reservation (a person) is not in the seat, the reservation expires after 15 minutes. If someone makes a fuss, get a Schaffner. They really do not like this kind of behaviour. 

48 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

yep, we did that once in Gardasee

My Mum lives in Riva del Garda:), a fab place for sailing or windsurfing (tried both, not my things:huh:), or indeed cycling :D

43 minutes ago, maxie said:

Doesn't work though. If the holder of the reservation (a person) is not in the seat, the reservation expires after 15 minutes. If someone makes a fuss, get a Schaffner. They really do not like this kind of behaviour. 

Works on sleepers for sure.  People think it is legimate way to get carriage to themselves.  With seats, sure, it should not work, but see it all the time.  Just be arrogant.  I have been tempted from time to time to move next to these people, like 2, who have reserved 4 seats.  Most of the time it works, unless very busy, and then, of course, the Schaffner gets involved.

More on this topic.

On the way back I intend to climb a few Alpine passes in Austria. So I will travel, by Austrian train, from village to village:

Brenner -> Saalfelden by train, climb Grossglockner by bicycle

Saalfelden -> Oetztal by train, climb Timmelsjoch by bicycle

Oetztal -> Landeck by train, climb Kaunertal by bicycle

Landeck -> Back home in the north of Germany, by train of course

What should I know regarding taking my bicycle in the train in Austria?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Brenner -> Saalfelden by train, climb Grossglockner by bicycle

Saalfelden -> Oetztal by train, climb Timmelsjoch by bicycle

Oetztal -> Landeck by train, climb Kaunertal by bicycle

Landeck -> Back home in the north of Germany, by train of course

I know people who have the the Oeztal cycle a few times.  I know getting there, that the trains were super geared up for cyclists.  But will ask if they know more.

I would not mind cycling up the Grossgloeckner, but riding down might be scary. Can I get a bus?

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

I would not mind cycling up the Grossgloeckner, but riding down might be scary. Can I get a bus?

Interesting, then it's not only me...

I rode the Stelvio a few times, and after my bad 1995 downhill crash that sent me to hospital and kept me injuried for a while, I did exactly what you mentioned.

I'm the worstest downhill cyclist ever.

My Stelvio crash was all on me, not even car around, I spent too much energy climbing up, I made the stupid inexperienced mistake of not doing the simplest thing ever: eat enough, so the sugar in my blood was too low for my brain to work properly, I could no longer see or react well. I ended up in hospital, from the X-ray they couldn't tell if the superpainful shoulder was broken, I called my parents in Milan at midnight saying "I had an accident and MAYBE I have a broken shoulder, but no worries I'll be home in a few hours at most", missed the last train and hitchhike and 4am got home in Milan, Mum took me to the hospital, shoulder was not broken, 7am we left for family holiday as scheduled. Mum was not exactly thrilled but that's that.

Being fit, young, stupid, bold, arrogant and reckless was a lot of fun.:D:ph34r:

Hope my child is wiser but not sure:huh::wacko:

4 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

OK, I have not got any specific information on the routes @Gambatte was asking about.  Only that the trains seemed very well equipped for cyclists, and even the buses took bikes.