Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Going to France (from Germany)

18 posts in this topic

I (British citizen with Aufenthaltstitel) am going to finally go see the family in France for the first time since 2019. I was going to hire a car and drive; stay over the weekend and drive back Monday (i.e. 3 nights).

I know in all probability nobody will ask me anything, but what am I supposed to do? As far as Corona goes, I don't think I need to do anything except take my EU proof of vaccination (paper and phone) with me. 

And then there's the thing that shouldn't be named. I don't need a Visa, but various things I've read say you need to have proof of accommodation (e.g. hotel booking) but if you're staying with friends or family they're meant to visit the local Marie, pay €30 and wait for up to a month to get a certificate that they send you before you travel. This seems a bit insane. Other things say that's only for Visas and a letter from your host will suffice and yet more things say that none of this matters if you have proof of available funds: €120 per day, although how you're meant to prove it isn't clear an I'd prefer not to take €480 in cash. And of course all of this possibly only applies to UK citizens entering France (and the Schengen Zone) from the UK.

Can anyone help wth this one?

13 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Have you a German residency card?  According to what I have read, having residence in a EU Schengen country works the same as if you have a Schengen visa.   So, the things about proving you have enough dosh, or your relo's having to apply for a permit, none of this needed.

Travel documents for non-EU nationals – Your Europe (europa.eu)

Yes I do. Thanks, but that does say that border officials may ask for proof of accommodation etc...

Do they check people on the Germany-France borders? We never get checked when driving between EU countries but haven't been to France.

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

Yes I do. Thanks, but that does say that border officials may ask for proof of accommodation etc...

But I think that is badly explained.  You have German residency.  This is superior to a Schengen visa.  It means you have means to live, accommodation, and health insurance.   But of course, they can always be shitty.  

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Do they check people on the Germany-France borders? We never get checked when driving between EU countries but haven't been to France.

I have been on trains that have been checked entering France from here.  More than once.  But they did not check me.  They picked on the brown people.  And I did not have my passport, so was trying hard to not look guilty (yes I know this in counterproductive).    But you are right, Dembo is very unlikely to have problems as he has a DE residence permit.  

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Pretty sure they don't on the roads (and the corona restrictions are gone). But that doesn't mean they can't choose to stop you either at the border or (possibly more likely) somewhere else in France. I made the mistake of going to Poland (from Germany) without my passport thinking there were no passport controls, although they did let me in after some arguing from the Pole leading the group and proof of return ticket the same day. It's not quite as advertised.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Not having a passport at all is another can of worms, I suppose.

Amazing what you do even without one.  With charm.  Though times have changed.

22 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Pretty sure they don't on the roads (and the corona restrictions are gone). But that doesn't mean they can't choose to stop you either at the border or (possibly more likely) somewhere else in France. I made the mistake of going to Poland (from Germany) without my passport thinking there were no passport controls, although they did let me in after some arguing from the Pole leading the group and proof of return ticket the same day. It's not quite as advertised.

Even when we had free movement, people could get picked up for vagrancy.  UK was famous for it.  But I doubt  you fit that profile.  Sure, you cannot be sure of anything, when it comes to police.  But in general terms you are going to be fine.

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Amazing what you do even without one.  With charm.  Though times have changed.

What does charm look like and does everyone have it?

Back in the day, I got 13 warnings for speeding before I got a ticket. I was young and hot. I don't think that works anymore and probably never did with men.

Greets, fraufruit! Still over the pond?

Ah, we had dinner with our two Texan friends in the nearby village yesterday!

Now, funny you should say " young and hot."

We shared pictures of our kids and stuff and swoon and shared stories of our latest illnesses!😂

And then - thanks to the latest technology - we shared pictures of ourselves back then--- way back then.

I showed a picture of myself at 22 and the Texan lady- Martha- said " wow, hot."

I agreed with her!

( The question is.. can I share with you the pic of moi on here?)

If the Toytown system says " erm, whatever it says.. upload or download too many megabites or whatever..then-- no!

I will give it one try..( somehow ).

And - ok, first, send this and google or whatever!😂)..

Edit: my Greek computer is zickig and not reacting! Maybe tomorrow! 😂

38 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What does charm look like and does everyone have it?

Back in the day, I got 13 warnings for speeding before I got a ticket. I was young and hot. I don't think that works anymore and probably never did with men.

Sorry, what I meant really was, not be uncharming, if approached by police.   So, be polite, explain yourself.  That sort of charming.

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

Sorry, what I meant really was, not be uncharming, if approached by police.   So, be polite, explain yourself.  That sort of charming.

Yes, of course.

Funny story. I was at a small airport the other day and went to the small concession to buy a bottle of water. The server was chatty and I told her that I had just heard at check in that I would never make my next connecting flight. She told me that her friend said (she had probably never flown) that I should call customer service and scream and cuss at them. Then, they would put me through to their manager and I would get results. (only in america) I told her that I would never do that and that I just couldn't take that approach in any situation. In any event, it wouldn't have helped me make my connection.

As it turns out, I didn't make my connection and without a long story, I was 9 hrs. late to Munich after having to fly over Heathrow even though I had paid for a direct flight. I found out quickly that there is no chance to talk to any customer service. Still waiting for my luggage.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Back in the day, I got 13 warnings for speeding before I got a ticket

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was young and hot.

That might be good news for you, but sadly that just reminded me that back in the day, I was pulled over three times on a 5 mile trip home one evening. Each time I was issued with a 7 day wonder. Perhaps I should have made more of an effort.

Of course, when the first policeman asked me: "is this your vehicle?", I probably shouldn't have answered: "No Sherlock. I went to the pavilion car park and looked for the oldest, rustiest car I could find, and decided to drive that home". The 17 year old me was not as clever as he thought he was.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was young and hot. 

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

Of course, when the first policeman asked me: "is this your vehicle?", I probably shouldn't have answered: "No Sherlock. I went to the pavilion car park and looked for the oldest, rustiest car I could find, and decided to drive that home". The 17 year old me was not as clever as he thought he was.

Yup, sounds familiar...

Rusty ancient heap, young man at the wheel, late at night and I'll raise you 1970's style long hair. 

Oh how I was pulled over,

"let me count the ways"

(sorry Mr Shakespeare)

I went on a group children's camping holiday to Brittany, 1974.  A lovely 2 weeks.  We were in a bus. Reentering at Dover, the customs/ immigration pulled me aside.  Asked if I had been in North Africa?  Did I have drugs?  Okay, I was very tanned (that happens when you camp even though the weater had not been that sunny) and my shoes had broken so I was barefoot (ha).    Sure, long hair, and flared jeans, with those cute inserts of flowery material.  And a cheese choth shirt.  Obviously a drug carrier.  I was 13.  The bus was on its way, but I ran (barefoot) and managed to stop it.