Are motorcycles commonly stolen in DE (ie.: is anti-theft a must for street parking)

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I spend some time in Berlin when in Europe, and there bicycles are stolen commonly, so you'd need to carry a lock with you.

However, I don't know anything about motorbikes.
Do riders in Berlin/Germany ride around with a lock and lock up their motorcycles?

When I was still riding a motorbike here in Munich I did not use a padlock and chain etc just the regular ignition/steering lock but it was always garaged overnight. If I had to park it on the street regularly overnight and for long periods I would have used some additional security device.

For Berlin, I would use an additional security device. 

I do not have a motorbike, but I have a bicycle that I used in Frankfurt. It was fitted with all sorts of security devices (seat lock, front wheel lock, handlebar lock, etc.). I also had a great regular lock that was highly rated (ABUS folding locks). When I got to Munich, I noticed no one used these things.

I imagine Berlin would need these things. Better safe than sorry, IMO. 

Yes, bikes are stolen in Germany but most people do not carry extra locks.  I don't, I don't have special attachment to my bikes.  Make sure get proper insurance.

Thanks guys!

For those who share about bicycles, I think the situation is very different and can't be compared.

Bicycles can be sold without papers as they are, and any druggies can do.

Motorbikes would be slightly different as you'd need a chop shop or some better-equipped crime network to make it work.

So from what I gather so far, it seems like for quick daily stop overs the standard steering lock should do, but overnight parking better somewhere fenced (in my case it would be a "tiefgarage". Not an actual box for the motorbikes itself, but still gated and not visible from the outside).

And maybe still insurance for peace of mind.