German Residence Permit taking too long?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Moving to Berlin this Summer with my family. As I US citizen my plan was to travel without a visa and apply for the residence permit (Blue card) there with the work contract I have. My HR contact is telling me that this is not possible because the application process to get the permit is taking 6 to 8 months because of the war in Ukraine. She suggest to go to the consulate and get a visa there but there are no appointments available.

Would anyone be able to confirm that in fact the process to get the permit will take so long?

I don´t know the situation in Berlin as I used to live in Bavaria. However, what might be an option is to look for another (preferably smaller) municipality within commutable distance from your workplace and check for availability there. If they have, you my want to consider (temporarily?) renting a place there and register. In smalller towns you may not even need an appointment (at least that was the case in Bavaria).

3 hours ago, jeba said:

I don´t know the situation in Berlin as I used to live in Bavaria. However, what might be an option is to look for another (preferably smaller) municipality within commutable distance from your workplace and check for availability there. If they have, you my want to consider (temporarily?) renting a place there and register. In smalller towns you may not even need an appointment (at least that was the case in Bavaria).

We need to live in Berlin for the kids to go to their preferred school. I appreciate the suggestion.

if you are trying to get an appointment on berlin.de try on early hours Monday - friday, or during working hours, some appointment will become available during the day, after work hours there is none, or weekends is the same

Is there a way to get a "Fiktionsbescheinigung" so that you at least prove that you didn´t deliberately violate the Aufenthaltsgesetz (or whatever the relevant law is called). That´s (or an equivalent) what they gave me in Cyprus when I couldn´t get an appointment before the 90-day period ended.

On 5/6/2022, 10:11:17, elhenry said:

if you are trying to get an appointment on berlin.de try on early hours Monday - friday, or during working hours, some appointment will become available during the day, after work hours there is none, or weekends is the same

ok I will do that. My question is more related to how long it takes to get the residence after the application. Does it take long?