Scam calls, Ausweis/Residence Permit problems

27 posts in this topic

I was thinking maybe pressing 1, and then playing a loop of a fax or dial up internet tone, so that the person will think it's an unusable number and hopefully they blacklist it from trying again. Maybe raise the volume to blow out their ears.

Ok, here's one. A friend just told me she got a call like this, and in a lapse of judgement, she spoke to them for an hour. Long story short, they have her bank name, address, driver's license number, and ballpark savings amount. No bank account number or other information. They asked her to transfer the money to them, and she eventually realized (way too late!) that this was a scam and hung up. They kept calling, so she blocked them. She then emailed the bank explaining what happened, and might email the police.

Any suggestions? I don't see how they could get any money at the moment, but I'm still at a loss as to how she could give them all this information. I guess they must have been very convincing.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I don't see how they could get any money at the moment, but I'm still at a loss as to how she could give them all this information.

Not giving the account number may have saved her for the immediate future but the other info could well be used to steal her identity, not good!

BTW when I ran a business my bank account number was public knowledge it went out on thousands of invoices and order forms. I still have the same number now though no longer a business account and have never had anyone try and take money from it, alone I doubt it is much use to scammers but I do check my balance at least 3 times a week.

I'm a dreamer. I found an old number of a friend in Madrid from 40 years ago this week and called the number. I politely gave my name and the reason for calling - ie: trying to locate an old friend, whom I named. The man hung up.

I'm not surprised- the world has changed. Too much spam and shit.