Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Could anyone give a lift to a Ukrainian travelling to the UK?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a nice young Ukrainian woman here in Dresden with her pet spaniel, and she's found herself a sponsor near Cambridge. She wants to travel from 14 May on, when the dog's pet passport has come through, and would ideally have just got the train, but apparently you can't take your dog on Eurostar, and the ferries don't make it very easy for foot passengers either (if they even sail). There are taxis doing the crossing with pets but it costs about 225 GBP.

I don't suppose anyone is planning on crossing with a car at Calais/Dunkirk or even Hook of Holland around that time and would have space for her and the dog? Even just the crossing would be great.

18 hours ago, anne k said:

She wants to travel from 14 May on

How soon thereafter must it be? A week or so, or would she wait until the summer?

I'll be driving over mid/late July (but may possibly have an earlier trip too).

She would like to go ASAP as she has a potential job offer over there. We have also found some taxi services that take pets, but they cost about a hundred pounds. She's not as keen on the ferries, I think she just wants to make it less stressful for the dog and the tunnel is a good bit quicker.

Ok, this is really short notice (I did say that I might have to go before July!), but could she make it tomorrow? I'm driving over to Reading in a van just booked on a 6pm ferry, and have plenty of room for a dog and passenger. I live in the Eifel, but could pick her up in Cologne, Aachen or Brussels (or other towns on/near that stretch) if she can make it there by midday/early afternoon tomorrow.

I'm assuming she has all necessary travel document(s)/passport etc for her and also the dog (rabies vaccination and worming tablets for the dog)? I don't wish to sound uncharitable, but I hope you can understand that the offer is subject to that sort of thing being sorted in advance.

If you send me a PM, I can give you my number for details.

39 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Ok, this is really short notice (I did say that I might have to go before July!), but could she make it tomorrow? I'm driving over to Reading in a van just booked on a 6pm ferry, and have plenty of room for a dog and passenger. I live in the Eifel, but could pick her up in Cologne, Aachen or Brussels (or other towns on/near that stretch) if she can make it there by midday/early afternoon tomorrow.

I'm assuming she has all necessary travel document(s)/passport etc for her and also the dog (rabies vaccination and worming tablets for the dog)? I don't wish to sound uncharitable, but I hope you can understand that the offer is subject to that sort of thing being sorted in advance.

If you send me a PM, I can give you my number for details.

@anne k

Just in case a beep speeds things up.  

Oh, it was so quick I missed it :) Thanks for the very kind offer, but she is still waiting for some document that will be here by 14 May.