Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Changing jobs on a Blue Card

4 posts in this topic

I'm a citizen of a European country that is not a member of the European Union and I moved to Germany in January 2020 to work in the IT industry. Before I moved, I found a company that was willing to offer help in terms of the visa & work-permit, after which I submitted the documents in the German embassy back in my home country and got a national Visa D tied to the company. The purpose of the visa D was so that I could start working in Germany and apply for a blue card in the city where I currently reside in.

When I arrived in Germany, I applied for a Blue Card since my Visa D was temporary (valid from January 2020 until June 2020). However, 2 months after I arrived, Covid-19 happened and the Foreigner's Office in my city in Germany froze everything that was visa-related.

In a nutshell, it took the Foreigner's Office until September 2020 to schedule me a termin (after many e-mails sent) and late September until they issued my plastic Blue Card. I received the Blue Card via post. The date of issue on the Blue Card is in September 2020.

Now, I would like to change jobs and I was wondering if I need to inform the Foreigner's Office about this. I have already been working for the same company in Germany for more than 2 years, since January 2020 (2 years and 5 months now).

I know that after 2 years of working in Germany, the Foreigner's Office does not need to be informed in case a person changes jobs on a blue card. But I'm wondering if this is:

a ) 2 years after my Blue Card was issued OR:

b ) 2 years since I moved to Germany and started working (initially I had the Visa D, tied also to the same company)? 

If it's a), then I do not have to inform the Foreigner's Office, since I'm working in Germany already for more than 2 years. If it's the latter, then I have to inform them.

Any info or advice would be welcomed.

Hi, 

In my opinion, you can change a company without informing, since you were already fullfilled a blue card requirement, only issue of blue card took a extra time due to uncontrollable circumstances.

For example in my case, i got my Niederlassungserlaubnis after completing 21 Months in Job  with B1 Goethe Certificate. My blue card was issued only after 3 to 4 months, after me starting a Job. But applying Niederlassungserlaubnis was counted from first month, since I was already a blue card qualified candidate from Month 1.

Moreover, it is not a harm to just inform Foriegn office, since you will have a Zusatzblatt, which would map to an old company, that needs to be changed in Zusatzblatt, else it will be inconsistent. Once you have a Niederlassungserlaubnis, there will not be any Zusatzblatt attached to Aufenthaltstitel. 

On 5/7/2022, 10:53:10, Schnell said:

Moreover, it is not a harm to just inform Foriegn office, since you will have a Zusatzblatt, which would map to an old company, that needs to be changed in Zusatzblatt, else it will be inconsistent. Once you have a Niederlassungserlaubnis, there will not be any Zusatzblatt attached to Aufenthaltstitel. 

exactly this, takes you one morning to do it and better safe than sorry