Food outlet - catastrophe

51 posts in this topic

Antony Bourdain made a comment once that if you want the good food in a country you don´t go to the posh restaurants etc you go where you see all the locals go.

Driving across America, as you do, you always eat where the truckers eat. 

1 hour ago, tor said:

Driving across America, as you do, you always eat where the truckers eat. 

If you like eating with truckers and hookers.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

If you like eating with truckers and hookers.:rolleyes:

Could do a lot worse: Priests and politicians

23 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Kebabs and Imbiss in Germany is a hit or miss.

Maybe my standards are super low, but in Berlin I would have to try really hard to find a bad Döner.

15 hours ago, slammer said:

Anybody remember the Krefelder Döner wars, where the Dönerläden got into a price war?

you could pick up a really top notch Döner for 2.50€

Pffff, 2.50 EUR was the normal price in Berlin until a few years ago, even 2 EUR was not so uncommon.  Then it jumped to 3 EUR and 3.50 EUR until the Ukrainian war, and now we have the privilege of paying 4.50 - 5 EUR for a Döner.

My local Döner charges €5, also last year already, but this is Munich. I started with €3,50 in 2005.

My local is now €5,90, they are very good but it is approaching the OTT limit, given I can still get a good lunch served in a restaurant for 7,50 - 8,50 in the week.

24 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

My local is 6€ at V-Markt parking lot on Balanstrasse. They have turkey. I don’t eat lamb. 

Do you know where the steckerlfisch stand is ?

There is supposed to be one in the V-market but I have never been there when its there or I cannot find it !!

Really love steckerlfisch, straight from the barbecue, but 20+ euro from the Seehaus is a bit much

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

There is supposed to be one in the V-market but I have never been there when its there or I cannot find it !!

Really love steckerlfisch, straight from the barbecue, but 20+ euro from the Seehaus is a bit much

It’s only there sometimes. I don’t know why. It’s in the V-markt lot but closer to the Baumarkt. Across from the Hendl stand. You can probably find it on Fridays? I have only seen it a few times. 

I found really good Steckerlfisch at Edeka Simmel in Unterhaching. It’s in the Haugebaumarkt parking lot. (Fridays and Saturdays)

15 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

It’s only there sometimes. I don’t know why. It’s in the V-markt lot but closer to the Baumarkt. Across from the Hendl stand. You can probably find it on Fridays? I have only seen it a few times. 

I found really good Steckerlfisch at Edeka Simmel in Unterhaching. It’s in the Haugebaumarkt parking lot. (Fridays and Saturdays)

thank you :(

I have been driving to the Euro industrial park, north Munich to get fresh cooked  Steckerlfisch, but its a long way from michaelibad.

I got their phone number and can pre order and then just pick up.

Dont suppose you have the number for the place in Unterhaching ? Do you

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

Is it turkey? I just don’t like lamb. I’m by that area next week, so I’ll give it a try. 

Sorry, but I think it is lamb, but it doesn't have that "muttony" taste that you get at other kebab places.

On 03/05/2022, 20:32:06, tor said:

... always eat where the truckers eat. 

... good for France too.

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

thank you :(

I have been driving to the Euro industrial park, north Munich to get fresh cooked  Steckerlfisch, but its a long way from michaelibad.

I got their phone number and can pre order and then just pick up.

Dont suppose you have the number for the place in Unterhaching ? Do you

I do not have the number. I’m sorry. I don’t have it too often. 

On 5.5.2022, 21:19:02, yesterday said:

Since you are based in Berg-am-Laim: They used to be selling Steckerlfisch at the parking lot of the Truderinger Kulturzentrum at the Wasserburger Landstrasse/Feldbergstrasse crossing. Not every day, but maybe on Thursdays and Fridays (and Saturdays) ?  No idea whether this is still an option these days.

On 05/05/2022, 21:19:02, yesterday said:

If you fancy a visit to the Auer Dult this weekend there is always one there.

On 27.4.2022, 10:44:19, bloom said:

Last night I visited a Kebap Doner shop (guess managed and ruuned by some immigrants). I ordered a yufka kebab as takeaway. When I opened the food I was shocked by its quality. I cant say it as a food. Such a catastrophic.

Also had very similar experience in another Kebap shop long back.

Why doesn't Germany has control on food safety in these kind of road side outlets.?

I really felt cheated with my money. !  :(

Simple, just don't go back there again.

Once I went to an Asian restaurant which someone recommended, they said it was amazingly delicious. I love Asian food, but this was just the worst I ever tasted in my whole life. First of all the waiter checked out our shoes, to see what we were wearing, then served us a totally vile meal. It honestly tasted like piss. We complained immediately and the manager apologised. We did not have to pay for the meal only for the drinks. Good thing as well, as it was completly unedible. We never went back again. Some restaurants are good, some bad, and of course what tastes good to me may not taste great to someone else etc.

I love Döner kebab, I have tried many places and can honestly say, each shop is different. We found one which is so delicious but it took time. Everyone as well has individual tastes, what someone else likes may not taste good to you.