Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

136 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk is once again promising fully autonomous cars in the near future.

• "My personal guess is...this year," he told investors during the company's Q4 2021 earnings call.
  • Musk has been promising as much since at least 2015.

Lets face it, all the developers are promising 2 years - No one has delivered so far, maybe one day they will, I think it will be a long time coming. The training algorithms are ok for some tasks - But a human can come to a situation and figure out what to do, kinda by its self. Thats what you need a computer to do, if you want a safe system, you cannot train for every situation, you need something that humans can do.

Your "joke" is about to get old and meaningless.

It's iterative development, so setting deadlines is almost impossible. Still, the last 12 months of beta testing show something extremely good, and other companies have been making similar progress. You already have Teslas doing SF-LA 100% autonomous. Or going around SF without interventions. Sure, still fails in some places, but every 2 weeks a new beta comes out and gets better. They have 100.000 testers on the road and until now, only a very minor accident was reported. Statistically speaking, a 100.000 drivers should have killed many people by now.

Computers follow lines of code very quickly, but the thinking part come down to an instruction of

'IF this or that and something else  then do that'   thats basically what a computer does or thinks.

You need to brush up your knowledge. That's NOT how self driving computers work.

Sure small improvements will be made, driving a taxi in a small area, that is mapped very well only in daylight and in good weather. But I do not want that, I want tp get in and say take me saalbach hinter glemm, then it should drive me there, while I sleep in the back. That is self driving Level 5. It will be 10's of years  to get there at this pace.

You're in for a surprise.

Lets not forget, that poor women pushing her bike over a road at night, which that self driving car ran over and killed her. I live in Munich, I heard these systems will be tested here in the future, if so, I want to be able to loggin to an app which can tell me where mudder cars are, so I can aviod the area.

Again, more FUD. First, it was a project that no longer is running because it was crap. Second, it was 4 years ago. Much has changed, except your mind.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Your "joke" is about to get old and meaningless.

It's iterative development, so setting deadlines is almost impossible

So why does Musk set the deadlines, if its ' almost impossible'

You need to brush up your knowledge. That's NOT how self driving computers work.

It does not matter what computer language you use, att he end of the day the computer runs the code in machine code format, which to make a decision  means, testing a bit or condition or number. 

It always boils down to several thousand instructions, like this

LOOP

TST.B (A1)+         ;Is A1's byte zero? (Advance after testing)
     DBEQ D0,LOOP        ;If not zero AND D0 is still >= 0, loop back.

to make a test or decision

You need to get out of the high level programming instructions sometimes and learn how computers process the instructions

Training a AI machine, just means you feed the machine with lots of examples or what to do in a certain situation, but if find a situation that the computer has not been trained with, then it has noway to figure out what to do, because it not a human.

Sure you can drive a Tesla hundreds of miles without a problem, until the road changes or in Munich you get snow on the road and it cannot see the road markings, then it needs to think how to handle it, before you remove the steering wheel.

You're in for a surprise.

I would very much prefer self driving to work, its just I do not think it will work well enough from what I have seen so far.

. First, it was a project that no longer is running because it was crap. Second, it was 4 years ago. Much has changed, except your mind.

And who is to say, that Tesla will not end up with a useless peice of software that kills people, we ( you and I ) have to wait and see.

Musk has been pushing this dead donkey for 7 or 8 years now, as you say, who knows how long it will take. Another 2 years like Musk says, but he has been wrong on the time projection or another 30 years ...    Only time will tell, and I would be quite happy to be wrong, if I can get a self driving car in the next couple of years - Its jst I do not think so.

10 minutes ago, yesterday said:

So why does Musk set the deadlines, if its ' almost impossible'

For those following it closely, it was bullshit. I only believed it in October 2020, when I saw the first serious beta.

It does not matter what computer language you use, att he end of the day the computer runs the code in machine code format, which to make a decision  means, testing a bit or condition or number.

You need to get out of the high level programming instructions sometimes and learn how computers process the instructions

Training a AI machine, just means you feed the machine with lots of examples or what to do in a certain situation, but if find a situation that the computer has not been trained with, then it has noway to figure out what to do, because it not a human.

It's unrelated with programming language. And the AI of course benefits of having context of an object, but they also train to detect unclassified solid objects. So even if it can't tell what it is, it knows it's there.

Sure you can drive a Tesla hundreds of miles without a problem, until the road changes or in Munich you get snow on the road and it cannot see the road markings, then it needs to think how to handle it, before you remove the steering wheel.

Tesla does not need any marks on the road to drive. Even my Autopilot doesn't need them. I'ts impressive, but it works very well by infering a road marking just by the cars parked on the right. There are thousands of videos of FSD driving with no road marks.

33 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

For those following it closely, it was bullshit. I only believed it in October 2020, when I saw the first serious beta.

We agree!!!, there is a lot BS around self driving cars, only the future will tell us, if we are again being feed BS now or it actually works

It's unrelated with programming language. And the AI of course benefits of having context of an object, but they also train to detect unclassified solid objects. So even if it can't tell what it is, it knows it's there.

We still should remember, that poor woman who was killed, I remember that auto drive system could not identify if the object in front was a person or a bike, until about 2 seconds before it hit her, as it accounted for objects it reconciled, everything else was not considered to be a problem. I do hope that such basic checks are well tested away from the road system. 

Sure but all computer decisions are made through a simple if statement, there can of course been many million if statements to come to a usable decision

Tesla does not need any marks on the road to drive. Even my Autopilot doesn't need them. I'ts impressive, but it works very well by infering a road marking just by the cars parked on the right. There are thousands of videos of FSD driving with no road marks.

I am sure there will be a lot of video;s around showing a Tesla driving on a road without markings, but how many show it doing it at night with lots or rain and snow coming down ??

Remember Level 5 means I can drink beer in the back of the car and have no steering wheel to handle difficult situations

7 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

being a programmer myself, I can tell you with certainty: I would never sit in a car operated solely by a computer program.

Being a human driver myself, I can tell you with certainty: I would never sit in a car operated solely by a human driver other than myself.

Sorry, I don't follow your logic. 99% of accidents are simple Vorfahrt violations easily solvable by computer programs.

A computer program will not start the deadly overtake maneuver on a 2 lane road when there is a truck driving on the opposite lane. The program will calculate that they do not have enough time to complete the maneuver. A stupid human will do it anyway and die.

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

But an irresponsible driver is ok? When computers show better score than humans, you will change your mind.

By the way, computers do land airplanes from time to time. Do you jump out?

you're not getting my point.

Computer assisted driving/flying/working... is fine by me. Just solely computer operated - without a human pilot able to intervene - is not.

1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

you're not getting my point.

Computer assisted driving/flying/working... is fine by me. Just solely computer operated - without a human pilot able to intervene - is not.

In Nuremberg the U Bahn trains (most of them) have no drivers.

Should I stop using the U Bahn?

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

We still should remember, that poor woman who was killed, I remember that auto drive system could not identify if the object in front was a person or a bike, until about 2 seconds before it hit her, as it accounted for objects it reconciled, everything else was not considered to be a problem. I do hope that such basic checks are well tested away from the road system. 

That was a bad project from a bad team, and 4 years ago. Things do improve over time. That's the problem with reasoning from people like you. You see it failing once, you assume it will always fail.

You don't need to know if it's a person or a bike to avoid an obstacle, but that car didn't even had emergency breaking code running.

Sure but all computer decisions are made through a simple if statement, there can of course been many million if statements to come to a usable decision

In the most advanced systems there is no if statement. The output is speed and direction.

I am sure there will be a lot of video;s around showing a Tesla driving on a road without markings, but how many show it doing it at night with lots or rain and snow coming down ??

Remember Level 5 means I can drink beer in the back of the car and have no steering wheel to handle difficult situations

Raining a lot at night is not such a difficult task and my simplistic autopilot can do it. Sometimes it's just easier for computers than for humans.

Snow is harder, but not impossible. I think nobody is focusing too much on snow yet, one of the reasons is you need a completely different traction control handling.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Only if the U-Bahn trains in Nuremberg are able to overtake slower traffic using the track of trains coming in the other direction.:)

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Pretty hard to change lanes, with or without signalling, in a U_Bahn. I once saw a car driver in SF berating a streetcar driver for not steering around his illegally parked car. SFB

"Can't you get off the tracks so I can get by?!" shouted the tram driver.

"Indeed I can, but you can not" smirked the motorist.

Habeck just announced his energy-saving campaign AGAIN, he suggests setting the aircon temperature higher. Wonder if that could cause problems, heart attacks and so? Perhaps the aircon could be switched off, and the windows opened.

Liebe 80 Millionen, vielen Dank fuers Energiesparen, dear 80 million, thanks very much for saving energy

say the expensive advertisements.

Does the minister know that Germany has 83m+ inhabitants? Or are indeed 80m saving, only 3m not joined in yet? That would be a great success!

How does "saving energy" in winter compare with "saving energy" in summer?

Just hoping for a typical norddeutsche winter, rather like a prolonged fall season through February, with little snow😉

On 11.6.2022, 08:52:00, Fietsrad said:

Habeck just announced his energy-saving campaign AGAIN, he suggests setting the aircon temperature higher. Wonder if that could cause problems, heart attacks and so? Perhaps the aircon could be switched off, and the windows opened.

Most Germans I know seem to not like a/c claiming it will make them ill.  Opening the windows when it's warmer outside than in will not help but keeping them open over night will help. Even just in the morning it will help cool things down for the day.

50 minutes ago, LeonG said:

keeping them open over night will help. Even just in the morning it will help cool things down for the day.

This works for me.  The heatwave this year is a dry heat, the humidity is very low and the nights get a little fresher, so it's easier to deal with, in my book anyway.  

On 4/23/2022, 2:04:22, scook17 said:

Germany shut down nuclear because it asked itself if the worlds most advance economy can not operate those plants reliably, how long will be be, sooner or later, before there is another Fukushima or Chernobyl. Remember Merkel has a doctorate in Quantum Chemistry so I am sure she understood the issues around this power source when making this choice.

I disagree. It was a terrible knee jerk reaction to a geological occurrence that didn't consider all of it's consequences. If anything, you could have looked at each individual plant and completed a broader risk assessment (closing older plants first was sensible), but it would still have been shown to be a poor decision especially considering what it was replaced by.

On 4/23/2022, 2:04:22, scook17 said:

I would argue the failure lies not in the decision to shut these down, but the lack of installing replacements.

True, if you are going to do it then there should have been a better strategy. Just shows how bad the original decision was. All implications should have been considered

2 hours ago, SunshineMarty said:

It was a terrible knee jerk reaction

It was a populist reaction against better knowledge. Just as the decision to not approve Nordstream 2 is. Whether it will still be popular once people will receive their utility bills remains to be seen. My guess is it will not.

6 hours ago, SunshineMarty said:

I disagree. It was a terrible knee jerk reaction to a geological occurrence that didn't consider all of it's consequences.

IMHO it was a reaction to stay in power.

The Greens by definition (back then at least) were anti-nuclear; the Linkies also (anything for destabilisation) and increasingly the SPD (because they saw this as an opportunity to get into power with the Greens).

Scientific knowledge these days plays an increasingly insignificant role...

35 minutes ago, HEM said:

IMHO it was a reaction to stay in power.

The Greens by definition (back then at least) were anti-nuclear; the Linkies also (anything for destabilisation) and increasingly the SPD (because they saw this as an opportunity to get into power with the Greens).

Scientific knowledge these days plays an increasingly insignificant role...

That's my opinion too.  They were coping with Chernobyl, it was very old technology and measures were being taken to avoid something like that happening again.  But once Fukushima happened, the outcry was huge and the government here desperately wanted to hold onto power.  Agreeing to shut down all the nuclear power stations in Germany was a popular decision.  Unfortunately, we may all be paying a price for that now.

I am already quite parsimonious with energy. In winter I go for a walk before bedtime to get a bit tired and save using the heating. Oftentimes I see, through windows without curtains or shutters, people inside wearing t-shirts! They could put jerseys on and save 11%.

As for nuclear, the waste has to be stored for very many years, hundreds or thousands. The chance of a katastrophe may be small but it might be a very big katastrophe.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/plus240458485/Strompreis-fuer-Lieferung-2023-fast-verzehnfacht-Stromkrise-droht.html

electricity price fast 10x higher for 2023. I’ve read something similar in other new sources. This has the potential to get ugly (also for electrical car owners).

My neighbor just accepted an offer to install a 12 kWp photovoltaic system + battery at their place for €30,000 and the supplier has said (though my neighbor) that they’ll extend the offer to us for an identical system. I’m going to call them when I’m back from vacations.