Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

757 posts in this topic

Just looking at the app for the blutooth thermometer I bought a few months back. In the last 24 hours the temperature has varied from a chilly 22.3C overnight to a barmy 22.9C mid morning. That's a little bit because I forgot the Stoßlüftung yesterday - looking at the rest of the week there's a trough at about 21.7C every morning when I open everything up, but half an hour later it's back to normal and it stays between 22.1 and 22.6. 

That's what you get for underfloor heating that runs constantly. It is quite nice and I don't miss the way the temperature would plummet when the heating goes off as it was everywhere I lived in the UK. It also means I only have a thin duvet and getting up in the night isn't a race to get the loo and back in bed before you freeze.

Only problem is I'd prefer to turn it down a bit in the day time and turn it up in the evening, but it doesn't work that way. Touching the thermostat only has an effect after 24 hours or so. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Just looking at the app for the blutooth thermometer I bought a few months back. In the last 24 hours the temperature has varied from a chilly 22.3C overnight to a barmy 22.9C mid morning. That's a little bit because I forgot the Stoßlüftung yesterday - looking at the rest of the week there's a trough at about 21.7C every morning when I open everything up, but half an hour later it's back to normal and it stays between 22.1 and 22.6. 

That's what you get for underfloor heating that runs constantly. It is quite nice and I don't miss the way the temperature would plummet when the heating goes off as it was everywhere I lived in the UK. It also means I only have a thin duvet and getting up in the night isn't a race to get the loo and back in bed before you freeze.

Only problem is I'd prefer to turn it down a bit in the day time and turn it up in the evening, but it doesn't work that way. Touching the thermostat only has an effect after 24 hours or so. 

Yes of course, the underfloor has a much larger thermal mass, so everything is slower. Not less efficient though (in fact, more efficient).

Having said that, the temperatures you write seem very high. Sure 19C can also be comfortable, on top of all the other many advantages, oder...?

No underfloor heating here and  I prefer to have some fresh air when I sleep so I turn the heating off at night and open the small top window in the bedroom on all but the coldest nights ( -10 or lower) and yes and we have both winter and summer duvets. Not sure how efficient that is compared to running underfloor 24 hours anyone know?

Well yesterday I read that a chap who advises Scotland on energy matter was saying that it is definitely cheaper to only heat the house/room when you need it rather than to keep it warm constantly.

Thing being, I can't find anything today. 

Assuming he was right, theoretically you are doing a more efficient thing.

My thinking is there are probably multiple variables going on and each situation is different. I like what you do - I don't think warmth in the bedroom whilst sleeping is a cunning plan although I do agree with Dembo that going to the loo in the middle of the night is nicer when it's warm.

On 13/12/2022, 14:58:42, Fietsrad said:

I just got my special payment of € 300,oo😉

On 13/12/2022, 15:01:01, fraufruit said:

We did, too!

19 hours ago, Feierabend said:

You just reminded me to look! Yoo - hoo!

18 hours ago, kiplette said:

Oh I had completely forgotten about that particular joy. Such a faff.

Let´s be honest here about this payment.

If you´d forgotten about it or didn´t notice it then you don´t really need it.

No, I think we received it in good time. My monthly rent plus NK went down by 1€ last year, could well go up by 25€ soon, who knows? I asked the Wohnungsgesellschaft, they need many months to work out how much to charge us.

But, what if the payment goes down again?

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

... although I do agree with Dembo that going to the loo in the middle of the night is nicer when it's warm.

- if I do have to get up in the night, I first take my Kirschkernkissen into the kitchen, pop it into the microwave, and then go to the bathroom - by the time I come back out, my kissen is all warmed-up and ready for another cuddle session!

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Well yesterday I read that a chap who advises Scotland on energy matter was saying that it is definitely cheaper to only heat the house/room when you need it rather than to keep it warm constantly.

My thinking is there are probably multiple variables going on and each situation is different. I like what you do - I don't think warmth in the bedroom whilst sleeping is a cunning plan although I do agree with Dembo that going to the loo in the middle of the night is nicer when it's warm.

I am not sure it may well be like comparing apples with oranges, I live in an altbau so underfloor heating is simply not an option. From what I have read though underfloor heating is the most efficient possible and keeping it on 24 hours probably makes good sense particularly if some of the family are at home all day. For me though I really don't need to heat when we are asleep  and even in the day heating one room in the apartment is sufficient, it is only really in the evenings and weekends when the other rooms are in use that it is good to have the whole place at 20+

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Let´s be honest here about this payment.

If you´d forgotten about it or didn´t notice it then you don´t really need it.

shittiesttake.jpg.3c33e03b5396897dad0b27

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

The greater the temperature difference between inside and outside the more heat energy you're losing, so letting it cool down in the day time and night must be better. 

But I think with underfloor heating that wouldn't really work as it would take too long to warm up. So the comparison is slow low-temperature underfloor heating on all the time vs. fast hotter radiators for say 8 hours per day. And particularly with a heat pump the lower temperature is more efficient, which is probably why it still wins despite needing to be on all the time.

I used to sleep with the window open and hated warm bedrooms, but I stopped when I started getting hayfever. Something you get used to I suppose.

16 hours ago, Dembo said:

Curious about underfloor heating - how many sqm and how much oil/gas/kwh do you use per year on heating?

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

If you´d forgotten about it

:lol: mine was the forgetting of the joy of having to go along a whole string of lights trying to locate the bust bulb, from snowing's post, not the 300 quid :lol:

6 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Curious about underfloor heating - how many sqm and how much oil/gas/kwh do you use per year on heating?

Sorry I can't answer that. The heating is included in the rent. 

My bedroom seem to get really warm middle of the night and realised that my automatic thermostat was turning on some how or other, lot of fiddling around I discovered it has an auto setting, night (17) and day (21) so now just turn it to day when I want to warm to room up. Real pain as my place is rated D so loses heat pretty quickly. Real pain in the ass turning heat on than off. Moving in the spring to a new build so will be glad to leave this place behind

1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

Real pain in the ass turning heat on than off. 

Yep you really do have real problems, unlike the people who cannot afford to put the heating on and eat.

11 hours ago, wien4ever said:

I could be wrong but I doubt there are buildings with underfloor and oil.

Underfloor is new, oil is old.

Question: why didn't we do underfloor heating much earlier, like 50yr ago? Technology not yet mature? Or just nobody thought about it?

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Question: why didn't we do underfloor heating much earlier, like 50yr ago? Technology not yet mature? Or just nobody thought about it?

Underfloor heating is actually very old, like 7000 years old.   It has been extremely popular in Corea since forever, they call it "Ondol".   But it was until the 80s that it came to Europe.    Nowadays in Corea it is almost everywhere and they moved to water-based systems like the ones we have here, in former time they used the smoke from the stove's fire to heat masonry floors, so they put the stove in one side of the room/house and then made the smoke travel under the room/house to exhaust in a chimney in the opposite side.  It was a very clever design.

In Corea they have as well beds based on the same principle but they are not so popular among the young generations.

Growing up in the UK, many Roman baths where built, with fires lit under the pools to get the water warm.

why didn't we do underfloor heating much earlier, like 50yr ago?

Energy was as cheap as chips and global warming was unheard of.