Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

568 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Is it a house?  If it is you have to check the water pressure and you might have to let more water into the system.  Then bleed again all radiators twice.

Radiators working fine on first and second floors.  And most of the ground level.  Just the one (the important one, we use a lot).    A tiny bit of air one of them, but really nothing,  So perhaps not the problem?  Thanks for the help and ideas.

14 minutes ago, dstanners said:

My mistake, I was too quick replying. Just drain the radiator then. Close the taps, unscrew the pipes and lift it off the wall. Tip/pour the sludge into a bucket. It's quick to do, but ideally a two man job it it's a big radiator. Probably worth pouring a bottle of Fernox through the system too.

Thanks.  Am considering!  Nervous we could make things worse...

The little metal plunger thingy behind the temperature regulator can sometimes get stuck. Unscrew the regulator and pump the plunger in and out until it stays in the out position.
It could also be a defective pump in the heating room (had this last year).

26 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Is it a house?  If it is you have to check the water pressure and you might have to let more water into the system.  Then bleed again all radiators twice.

We get this happening sometimes. Hopefully not a leak somewhere! :unsure:

23 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Thanks.  Am considering!  Nervous we could make things worse...

Whilst it goes against the grain (or at least it does for me!), have you thought of bringing in a "man who can"?

Sometimes it really is worth investing some money in order to get things sorted out properly!

15 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Whilst it goes against the grain (or at least it does for me!), have you thought of bringing in a "man who can"?

Sometimes it really is worth investing some money in order to get things sorted out properly!

Yes.Usually have done so, boiler checked most years, etc.  Great guy.  But he has retired.  Since then have had bad luck, shoddy work, etc.  Now it is hard to find anyone.  They seem to have a kind of cabal.  Ask the name of the last plumber we had, etc.   Always paid up so not sure what the problem is.

44 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

We get this happening sometimes. Hopefully not a leak somewhere! :unsure:

It is normal to lose a bit of water with the time.  I let a bit of water in every year when I switch on the heating after bleeding the radiators.  Our system has a gauge indicating the water pressure and the range where it should be is green.

Maybe it is just the needle stuck as @Eric7 says.

Remove the knob and push hard the needle back. Maybe spray a bit of WD-40 on it if you have.