Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

789 posts in this topic

Love letters - straight from your heeeeart, keep us so warm while apaart.. (sang Alison Moyet)🎶

There is a Grundgebuehr/basic charge too, that may go down or up, so that no Normalsterbliche/ordinary mortal can understand their bill.

British Gas have some useful tips to save energy. The video "How to bleed a radiator" is very informative and even I can understand it.

"How to bleed a radiator

Bleeding your radiators every so often keeps them working efficiently. That not only means a warmer home, but cheaper energy bills too.

But if you don’t do it regularly, your radiators could start taking longer to warm up. Or they may not give out as much heat as they should. So, you could end up using more energy to heat your home, which is worse for the environment – and for your wallet."

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-source/fix-it-yourself/how-to-bleed-a-radiator.html

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/energy-saving/energy-saving-tips.html

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

23.13 to 57.32 is over a 100% increase, oder?

Yes.

57.32/23.13 = 2.4782 = 247.82%

--> the price of a kilowatt-hour will increase by 147.82%.

Or put another way: from 01.01.2023, the price per kWh of electricity at Stadtwerke München (SWM) will be 2.5 times the old price.

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

There is a Grundgebuehr/basic charge too, that may go down or up, so that no Normalsterbliche/ordinary mortal can understand their bill.

Actually, SWM, left the yearly fixed fee for the electricity meter unchanged - this time round. They had already put it up from 90€ to 104€ on 01.01.2022.

Which of course gladdens the hearts of people who live in older houses with two electricity meters and who therefore have to pay two such Grundpreise each year, while not using more energy than households with just one electricity meter.

Might I mention that back in 2014, the yearly fixed fee for the meter was just 52.95€?

And that SWM is now looking at an unexpected windfall profit of 500 million €, just because the Isar 2 nuclear power plant (of which SWM owns 25%) will continue to function until May 2023, instead of being shut down on 31. December 2022 as initially planned? 

https://www-merkur-de.translate.goog/lokales/muenchen/zentrum/weiterbetrieb-von-isar-stadtraete-fordern-klarheit-stadtwerke-sollen-gewinne-auf-muenchner-umlegen-91703961.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

And that SWM has no intention of using these extra 500 million € to lower their prices, all they intend to do is create a Notfallfonds (emergency fund) of a measly 20 million €, to help the neediest pay their Stadtwerke bills?

As their CEO (a former London investment banker who was head of the Juso (= Junge Sozialdemokraten), i.e. a political appointment) says in this article, they are a GmbH, i.e. a private company and therefore want to turn a profit: https://www-abendzeitung--muenchen-de.translate.goog/muenchen/swm-chef-bieberbach-akw-verlaengerung-find-ich-gut-art-853800?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

But he forgets to mention that the Stadtwerke München GmbH is 100% owned by the city of Munich: https://www-swm-de.translate.goog/stadtwerke-muenchen?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Ah well, SWM has always had a special relationship with the truth, just look at SWM's (false) claim that 90% of Munich's electricity stem from renewable sources: https://www-abendzeitung--muenchen-de.translate.goog/muenchen/eine-bewusste-irrefuehrung-die-muenchner-oekostrom-luege-art-828596?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I recently purchased a new coffee maker, same as the previous one, it makes great coffee as before but this one automatically switches off the hot plate after about 30 minutes, to save power according to the manufacturer (Phillips) and mandatory to comply with new EU regulations! Now I don't know about anyone else but for me when I make a jug of coffee in the mornings and drinking the first one by the time I get round to wanting a second the dam machine has turned off and the coffee is typically only lukewarm.:angry: Its very aggravating, I know it might save power although in my case I just turn it back on and wait till it warms up again or dump the coffee if it is too cold and make a new one which most likely is less efficient than letting me turn it off when I'm finished! I know I could use a thermos flask but even if pre-warmed it never seems to be as hot as I like it and does not taste so good.:(

Automatic power saving is not always user friendly!

10 out 10 FF,  I just put it in the microwave for some seconds as well

My coffee machine cuts the hot plate at 1 hour, but my manual says, it does this so the coffee does not get cooked !!! and I agree with it, coffee thats been cooked for 2 hours, tastes bad. So once the coffee is made I just pull the plug and warm in the microwave as needed, as I make enough for the day. I got a Melitta, which makes good coffee.

You can buy coffee makers that drop the coffee in to a  thermos  flask and switches the hot plate off are 5 mins or so, so you can keep your coffee hot and not use any extra power. Maybe you can buy  thermos  flask option for your Philips machine.

Having said that this is a first world problem, also like getting to many spam calls :lol:

I rarely have a second coffee, but I did today😉

Just put on the heating for real too, not just to test. Quite gemuetlich [favorite German word]

46 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Got a microwave? Put the lukewarm coffee in there for a few seconds.

Nice idea but no I don't have one, the better half does not like them!

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

You can buy coffee makers that drop the coffee in to a  thermos  flask

As mentioned I don't like coffee from a thermos flask, not an option for me!

Having said that this is a first world problem, also like getting to many spam calls :lol:

As indeed is this entire thread.:rolleyes:

Italian here.

Can't drink any coffee that comes from anything other than these.

caffettiera.jpg

ccdownload.jpg

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I recently purchased a new coffee maker, same as the previous one, it makes great coffee as before but this one automatically switches off the hot plate after about 30 minutes, to save power according to the manufacturer (Phillips) and mandatory to comply with new EU regulations! Now I don't know about anyone else but for me when I make a jug of coffee in the mornings and drinking the first one by the time I get round to wanting a second the dam machine has turned off and the coffee is typically only lukewarm.:angry: Its very aggravating, I know it might save power although in my case I just turn it back on and wait till it warms up again or dump the coffee if it is too cold and make a new one which most likely is less efficient than letting me turn it off when I'm finished! I know I could use a thermos flask but even if pre-warmed it never seems to be as hot as I like it and does not taste so good.:(

Automatic power saving is not always user friendly!

My mother always makes a huge pot of tea and drinks it's over several hours. She places it on a wooden mat and uses a tea cosy over the top to keep the pot warm. Works well. Maybe there is a coffee pot cover which does something similar you could find.

4 minutes ago, scook17 said:

My mother always makes a huge pot of tea and drinks it's over several hours. She places it on a wooden mat and uses a tea cosy over the top to keep the pot warm. Works well. Maybe there is a coffee pot cover which does something similar you could find.

My machine does have a means of keeping the brewed coffee hot it is just that these bloody new regulations for power saving renders it useless!:angry:

I have a small 1-cup cafetière and a manual coffee grinder - that's as Italian as I'm prepared to get. If I want a second cup I start from scratch. I never understood having a pot of coffee sat around for hours even ignoring the wasted energy aspect.

11 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I have a small 1-cup cafetière and a manual coffee grinder - that's as Italian as I'm prepared to get. If I want a second cup I start from scratch. I never understood having a pot of coffee sat around for hours even ignoring the wasted energy aspect.

I'm not talking hours its turns off after a max of 30 mins. Looks like it is time to get the screwdriver out and change the switch!

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Capture.GIF.116648663de73f782c24e338ae63The English response to your Shiny coffee makers !!!!

I actually prefer the taste of instant to the brewed type. My partner has an expensive coffee machine which grinds the beans. It still doesn't taste as good as instant. Just my opinion though ;)