Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

759 posts in this topic

Perhaps there will be no real winter this year. Then Habeck could claim 10% or more saved without doing anything馃槙

1 hour ago, optimista said:

In the good old days where I grew up, you boiled the kettle to do the washing up and put on the immersion heater for an hour before bathtime. Habits have changed. Heating water 24/7 to have hot water in the taps in a single person household is a luxury. Or mad. Or both. Habits will change again in many households, methinks.

I used to like my combi boiler in the UK. Hot water in demand, no storage. We鈥檙e too daft to understand our complicated Junkers system. Junkers wouldn鈥檛聽advise by telephone though they did some years ago. They suggested contacting local installers for programming advice though so far, no help there. We have a one聽hour water heating switch, must be like the old immersion heating option. Not sure if this uses electricity to heat rather than gas as normal?聽I鈥檓 thinking of switching off the timed water heating and just use this as and when we need hot water. Not sure how this affects underfloor heating. I鈥檇 guess not as that鈥檚 a separate dial.聽

In Neufuenfland we have district heating using waste heat from a factory nearby, not sure why we have to pay good money for waste heat.馃槈

The hot water for taps is usually (always?) a separate circuit from the system for radiators and underfloor heating. Hence different dials.

10 hours ago, optimista said:

In the good old days where I grew up, you boiled the kettle to do the washing up and put on the immersion heater for an hour before bathtime. Habits have changed. Heating water 24/7 to have hot water in the taps in a single person household is a luxury. Or mad. Or both. Habits will change again in many households, methinks.

Ricketts, scurvy, bubonic plague, polio, starvation, faeces running in the streets, water carried from streams, child poverty, and workhouses are some of the many things that were popular in the good old days as well.

Why the fuck in the 21st century you consider having hot water 24/7 a聽 fucking luxury I麓ll never fathom.

I swear if I read or hear another "when we were young, people are spoiled nowadays" type post I麓m going to fucking scream.

Perhaps I麓m the only person but I always thought that as humans evolved over time the whole idea of it was that things would become better and easier for people but perhaps that麓s not the idea.

You can guarantee that on this subject "The Four Yorkshiremen" type thinking will always crop up.

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

Why the fuck in the 21st century you consider having hot water 24/7 a聽 fucking luxury I麓ll never fathom.

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

I

It s kinda relative. Half the planet doesn t have access to drinking water or basic sanitation.

Your use of the word popular to describe negatives leads me to wonder if you hail from Lancashire.

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

I always thought that as humans evolved over time the whole idea of it was that things would become better and easier for people

Well yes, I agree, and it is true that worldwide things really have improved, poverty and health-wise etc. there are still embarrassingly large swathes of the earth's population who as Optimista says are there without really basic needs.

I definitely am happy to forgo 24/7 hot water and a great number of other things I take for granted in order to ease the burden on the environment and reduce the cataclysmic events taking place largely in countries which fall short of the luxuries I enjoy.

This is a complete no-brainer. We cannot continue in the way that we are. Some things can be arranged alternatively, other things will just not be OK anymore.聽

Giant corporations obviously have a huge part to play, and there is a ginormous聽planet trap right there, unfortunately.

Turn off public lighting at night. This is catching on in France. Crazy illuminating buildings inside and out, empty roads, sports stadiums, etc. at 3 in the morning. It s a drop in the ocean but they have to start somewhere. This one only punishes the energy suppliers. The feared rise in night crime has failed to materialise. Or they are not shouting about it.

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

Turn off public lighting at night. This is catching on in France. Crazy illuminating buildings inside and out, empty roads, sports stadiums, etc. at 3 in the morning. It s a drop in the ocean but they have to start somewhere. This one only punishes the energy suppliers. The feared rise in night crime has failed to materialise. Or they are not shouting about it.

I am rarely out after dark. Do the lights really stay on all through the night?

The Stadtwerke near me claimed that illuminations use very little energy, a negligible amount, "comparable to the use of a private household".

Could easily be a more than a grand a year, then. I think the Geschaeftsfuehrer could pay for the wasted energy himself, if he thinks 鈧1000 is negligible.

Back in the UK many years ago the street lights did turn off early in the morning darkness (1am from memory) each lamppost had a timer and I believe they even adjusted them regularly to coincide with summer/winter clock changes and the official "lighting up time" when all road vehicles should have their lights on. These days with light sensors and electronics you would imagine it should be a piece of cake to set this up not only to save on energy but reduce light pollution, it would be nice to see the stars again at night in the towns and cities.:mellow:

3 hours ago, optimista said:

It s kinda relative. Half the planet doesn t have access to drinking water or basic sanitation.

Having heating and water 24/7 is not a luxury and should never be considered a luxury it is a basic human right and just because half the planet doesn麓t have access (mostly thanks to humans not to nature) does not mean those who have it are living luxuriously.

If you say how disgraceful it is that people around the world are starving, homeless, living in poverty etc then I麓ll agree with you but don麓t say that having basic human resources is a luxury.

Just because some people do not have things that doesn麓t mean having them is a luxury, it means because of the fucked up ways of the world they麓ve been screwed over.

9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Back in the UK many years ago the street lights did turn off early in the morning darkness (1am from memory) each lamppost had a timer and I believe they even adjusted them regularly to coincide with summer/winter clock changes and the official "lighting up time" when all road vehicles should have their lights on. These days with light sensors and electronics you would imagine it should be a piece of cake to set this up not only to save on energy but reduce light pollution, it would be nice to see the stars again at night in the towns and cities.:mellow:

The streetlights on our street come on about 6ish and go off in the morning when it麓s light (I presume on some sort of sensor).

However, around the side of the house and behind us are just paths joining us onto the next street behind us and those streetlights come on at 18.00 and go off at about 01.00.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

Your use of the word popular to describe negatives leads me to wonder if you hail from Lancashire.

I used that in this example because of this...

On 10/11/2022, 10:14:11, optimista said:

In the good old days where I grew up,

This is often used in this context when people in the old days had it a bit harder than those nowadays and seem to think that because they had it harder that the people today should suffer as well.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Giant corporations obviously have a huge part to play,

They have pretty much the only part to play.

Anyone really think that us stopping using plastic straws or having no plastic wrappers on cucumbers etc is really going to make that much of a dent in the environment problem?

We麓re just the ones that the blame is shifted onto while these corporations pump god knows how much shit into the air,use god knows how much plastic etc and not a word is said about them or anything done,instead it麓s us the "normal" people who need to make the difference.

The streetlights on my street use LED bulbs and have a little solar panel on the top of each one, I'm pretty sure the usage is negligible compared to the increase in pedestrian safety that comes from having a lit street.

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

I am rarely out after dark. Do the lights really stay on all through the night?

They used to in our area - we are a Postie household - last winter the round was never truly dark but聽this winter things have changed and they are off by the start of work at 3am and don't come on until about 6am. They are still on at 10pm when I cycle back from choir so I don't know when they go off. There are so few people about at night I think its fine.

8 minutes ago, pappnase said:

The streetlights on my street use LED bulbs and have a little solar panel on the top of each one

Well that's the ultimate solution right there. Assuming they have聽a reasonable life span聽that is.

Yeah, I think they still get power as well,聽because they still work every night even if there is snow on top for a few days, but it's gotta be reducing the overall power budget quite a bit.

I can't see that our local gov would have spent the money to replace them if they couldn't find the savings (Unless they found someone else to pay :-) ).

A few years ago, our Gemeinde changed聽the lightbulbs in all street lights to LEDs. I聽consider them 鈥榚vil Gemeinde鈥 as each light had a hole at the back of the construction that meant that birds always nested in the light area. 聽They chose the bulb replacement to be聽carried out in spring聽nesting time. They聽simply ousted nests with eggs.聽Poor birds were devastated for months after. 聽Our Gemeinde even felled聽a 30聽year old street planted oak tree as it was obscuring a street lamp. Surely the street lamp could have been adjusted? 馃槩

We鈥檝e used almost聽no gas since April as our hot water is heated by solar panels if there鈥檚 sufficient sun鈥ertainly so between April and October. We challenged ourselves not to switch the gas underfloor heating on until December. However now, the inside temperature is only聽13聽degrees C. Feels cold despite several layers of clothing聽so might have to quit the challenge as underfloor heating takes a while to be effective.聽

ETA鈥nderfloor heating just now聽switched on.聽Best forget well meaning challenges!