Habeck claims anyone could quite easily use 10% less energy

757 posts in this topic

To everyone giving all these savings tips that involve buying new dryers or microwaves or whatever.

This is what stops a lot of people from saving money.

Noticeably chilly in Bauhaus today. They definitely haven't put the heat on yet. In the BZ it's being reported that Aldi Nord is to close many supermarkets at 8 instead of 9 to save energy. In the same article it stated that some Saturns have switched off the escalators. There are loads of ways to save energy and if any AfD wanker complains, remind them that in Ukraine a thousand towns and villages are without any power today thanks to their mates in Moscow.

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

some Saturns have switched off the escalators.

I hope that stores that do this have elevators for those who need them.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I hope that stores that do this have elevators for those who need them.

In ours they have switched off 1/2 the escalators and the elevators are still on. It really just means that you are always at one end of the shop when you go up or down, but the escalators are at one end and the elevators the other so it's not real inconvenience.

On 17/10/2022, 18:19:21, scook17 said:

I find the clothes horse on the south facing balcony works very well, so own neither. But on some raining weeks, or in the depth of winter, I do wonder.

This is pretty much us - we dry outside on the washing line whenever it is possible.

We do own a tumble dryer - the heating function is bust so whilst keeping it with the intention of sorting that problem (9 years and counting) we occasionally use it for fluffing stuff like towels or duvets with those cunning little dryer balls after washing and drying them outside. Obviously for only about 10 minutes a go.

We also own one of those heated rails which have been much vaunted in the British tabloids (ours was Lakeland not Aldi, but I honestly doubt there's a huge difference). We plug it in when it is impossible to dry outside. The papers all assume that a 4 hour stint of one of those things is going to dry your washing. Maybe if you are a polyester fan it will, but for those of us who stick to natural fibres, 4 hours is enough to build up a nice musty funk but not much will have dried in that time. I am going to try an old trick of using a king sized duvet cover as a way of keeping the heat in around the rail this year but so far we've only used it once.

We wash only when the weather forecast suggests drying outside is going to be successful. So far, so good. Coming to the end of that for this year I guess.

Got a letter from SWM stating the would more than double my gas bill starting in Januar... thats quite good, I thought it would be now..

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Noticeably chilly in Bauhaus today. They definitely haven't put the heat on yet. In the BZ it's being reported that Aldi Nord is to close many supermarkets at 8 instead of 9 to save energy. In the same article it stated that some Saturns have switched off the escalators. There are loads of ways to save energy and if any AfD wanker complains, remind them that in Ukraine a thousand towns and villages are without any power today thanks to their mates in Moscow.

Food stores limiting open hours: doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

They have to pay their staff fewer hours too, but people still need to eat.

9 hours ago, scook17 said:

monthly cost of gas for a 20,000 kwh 'typical 2 person' gas heated house

Is 20 MWh/yr gas, typical? We consume 10 MWh/yr. Ok our house is fairly new, but still, 20 MWh/yr seems excessive to me.

3 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Is 20 MWh/yr gas, typical? We consume 10 MWh/yr. Ok our house is fairly new, but still, 20 MWh/yr seems excessive to me.

An older larger house could easily consume that much in gas.

Our elderly neighbour mentioned her extremely high gas consumption as a single person though she’s adamant that water needs to be constantly heated to 60 C to prevent legionella. For as long as I can remember, I was always led to believe that heating water once or twice a day at 55-60 C is sufficient to prevent legionella. I guess that with a well insulated hot water tank, the residual water temperature probably wouldn’t reduce to less than 40c even when heated for 1-2 hours twice per day. Can gas likely be saved by setting hot water to heat only twice a day for 1-2 hours? And prevent legionella? My neighbour’s gas bill is likely to increase by around 300% when her fixed price ends in a few months which she can’t afford as a pensioner.  Any legionella safe gas savings advice would be much appreciated. 

6 hours ago, emkay said:

Our elderly neighbour mentioned her extremely high gas consumption as a single person though she’s adamant that water needs to be constantly heated to 60 C to prevent legionella. For as long as I can remember, I was always led to believe that heating water once or twice a day at 55-60 C is sufficient to prevent legionella. I guess that with a well insulated hot water tank, the residual water temperature probably wouldn’t reduce to less than 40c even when heated for 1-2 hours twice per day. Can gas likely be saved by setting hot water to heat only twice a day for 1-2 hours? And prevent legionella? My neighbour’s gas bill is likely to increase by around 300% when her fixed price ends in a few months which she can’t afford as a pensioner.  Any legionella safe gas savings advice would be much appreciated. 

Please give her this to read: https://www.vaillant.de/21-grad/rat-und-tat/legionellenprophylaxe-so-beugt-ihr-legionellen-im-leitungswasser-vor/

November 11. Not used the heating yet😃

Visited a small town with a huge church. The floodlights were off. The massive dark stone church against the dark blue sky was breathtaking to behold.

In the good old days where I grew up, you boiled the kettle to do the washing up and put on the immersion heater for an hour before bathtime. Habits have changed. Heating water 24/7 to have hot water in the taps in a single person household is a luxury. Or mad. Or both. Habits will change again in many households, methinks.

20 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

November 11. Not used the heating yet😃

Same, we have managed to keep our house between 19C and 20C by opening the curtains and blinds during the day and closing them when it gets dark.   But in the past couple of days we've lost 1 degree and not it is fluctuating between 18C and 19C.

I and the kids could stand going much lower, but the wife probably can't.   So it is now a matter of time.

No heating use yet this season, cannot believe we are half way in to November (Almost ) and its so warm outside. 

Where I used to work, a bit south of Munich, we used to have a competition every year to predict when the first snow will land on the company car park, it often occurred in November ..., still that was 25 years ago. Its getting warmer 

30 minutes ago, optimista said:

In the good old days where I grew up, you boiled the kettle to do the washing up and put on the immersion heater for an hour before bathtime. Habits have changed. Heating water 24/7 to have hot water in the taps in a single person household is a luxury. Or mad. Or both. Habits will change again in many households, methinks.

The house I'm renting has a very big and fancy insulated tank, I think it's efficient enough not to matter.

It's not only habits that change, technology also changes.