'Letter of Entitlement' for German licence

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm a British Citizen and lived in Munich between 2014 and 2018. At the time, I converted my UK driving licence (I took and passed my driving test in the UK) to a German (European) one. 

After moving back to the UK in 2018, I didn't exchange my German Licence back to a UK one because it was legal for me to retain the German one (which was a long time away). 

However, a few months back I lost my driving licence and applied to the DVLA for a replacement. The DVLA require that I provide a 'Letter of Entitlement' from the German (Munich) authorities as I am not able to provide the lost German licence for exchange. 

I have no idea how to obtain said letter from the German authorities, nor where to direct my enquires - so I turn to this group to see if anyone can offer any suggestions as to where and how I might obtain a 'Letter of Entitlement' from Germany. I will also add, by German is now very rusty. 

With many thanks in advance for any tips, Laura :)

I couldn't find anything in English, but what I think you need is:

https://stadt.muenchen.de/service/info/hauptabteilung-ii-fahrzeugzulassungs-und-fahrerlaubnisbehoerde/1071758/

You should email fuehrerscheine.kvr@muenchen.de (I guess you could state your dilemma in English and hope that they can cope) and provide:

Last Name (+previous name if applicable), First Name(s), DOB, Place of Birth and the address of the DVLA ("Adresse der jetzt für Sie zuständigen Fahrerlaubnisbehörde" -- "the driving licence authority now responsible for you").

Hi Marianne! 

Sorry it's taken me a while to check in with this thread, but thanks so much for the advice. I'll give that a go!