Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Americans filing their US taxes best method?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone else who is having a bit of trouble filing their American taxes this year? Previously I had used the free HR block filing program, now in order to do the standard foreign income exclussion paper work one needs to upgrade to a fifty dollar package.

What is your prefered online/software method?

I thought of perhaps just filing the old fashioned way by paper. 

I also have the additional burden of needing to file for 2020 as well. It's been (understandably) hard to get anyone on the phone from the IRS to speak about this situation so I thought of just sending both years' paperwork together.

My main goals: get caught up and maybe get the second/third Corona rebate which I did not receive because my 2020 return was missing.

My situation is otherwise not complicated. 

Thank you :)

I am living in the U.S., but couldn't find any free programs to file my taxes, not even through the IRS website, so I finally printed out the files and mailed them in. Maybe someone else has found a free program, but I did not-either due to IRS links not working or finding no programs that were free. I got through my simple taxes quicker than it took for my online search for a program!

In my experience I'd recommend paper, but if someone else has a website with a good program I'd be interested to know what it is.

Oh it's good to see I am not the only one here. I might be willing to pay to file online if I can also file 2020's return. 

I would really appreciate if anyone be able to tell me the names of the tax files I need to submit for working in Germany as permanent residence paying German tax from Jan. - July 2021.  I returned to the US 26th of July and started working from mid September in the US.  I have been to the local tax office here and nobody knows which files I need to submit.  Help!

5 hours ago, crossman said:

I would really appreciate if anyone be able to tell me the names of the tax files I need to submit for working in Germany as permanent residence paying German tax from Jan. - July 2021.  I returned to the US 26th of July and started working from mid September in the US.  I have been to the local tax office here and nobody knows which files I need to submit.  Help!

Perhaps this is the form 2555 Foreign income exclusion? Or the foreign tax credit?

Seems like this thread might help you:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/390081-timing-of-us-tax-filing-german-tax-filing/