Drivers and hand signals

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

If there is traffic behind you, and by stopping you obscure the flow of traffic (and possibly cause accidents) then you break the law. In this sense, yes, there is a law against stopping. 

What is safer is to slow down to 30 kmh and blink headlights to the pedestrian while approaching the traffic island to indicate that they can cross safely. 

No, no, no! To the last sentence.

Slowing down is generally good, but the cops do occasionally harass people going 'too slowly'. As if there were not enough going too fast to keep them busy.

23 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Slowing down is generally good, but the cops do occasionally harass people going 'too slowly'. As if there were not enough going too fast to keep them busy.

Sure. As I wrote, driving much slower than traffic is forbidden (and can be fined as a result). 

But if there is no traffic behind me I do not violate this rule by slowing down. 

18 hours ago, kiplette said:

Well, it's assumed that you are driving at walking pace so that if one steps out from in front of the bus into your path, you will be slow enough to stop, and the dude behind the same and so on.

If they are just hanging about there, looking hopeful then I think you are supposed to drive very slowly past with a grumpy face on, to make it clear that they are Not Supposed to Cross.

If it ever happened to me, I would stop. Else you might get it wrong and squash them. And as you say, imagine the paperwork, even at 5kph or whatever walking pace is :o

I think I am extra cautious because in the US they say the pedestrian always has the right of way. I also tapped a pedestrian once because he was in my blind spot and I felt awful. He was walking his dog, too. Nothing happened paperwork wise, but I’m hyperaware. It was not a nice feeling and I don’t care if I’m too cautious. I don’t want to hurt someone. This was almost 20 years ago in NY, not Germany. 

I recommend everyone who has not taken any driving courses in Germany do this, regardless of your experience level. The instructor gives a lot of helpful advice.

Watching for cyclists is also important: they are much faster than pedestrians and do not know the traffic rules.

I agree totally.  The thing about tram stops, and slowing down,  stopping has changed a lot in the last 10 years.   Even here we have a couple of tram lines that have nowhere for emerging passengers to emerge to, no platform.  Just the road.  So, it is obviously too narrow for cars to pass safely.  They have to stop to let people cross. 

38 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I recommend everyone who has not taken any driving courses in Germany do this, regardless of your experience level. The instructor gives a lot of helpful advice.

Watching for cyclists is also important: they are much faster than pedestrians and do not know the traffic rules.

Yes, I fully redid my license in Germany. I still slow down by buses on a residential street and for cyclists. 

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We were just walking home from dinner out and a car stopped and flagged us to cross our street. I don't see the BFD.

What, a driver who had priority urged you to cross in front of him? Is that not an offence? I would not trust them to really stop and wait until I was over.

What might have happened if another vehicle was coming on the other side? Better to wait a few moments (or many moments) until there is a safe gap.

It would be best if everyone just obeyed the rules, and did not try to communicate unnecessarily. The law does oblige drivers to leave crossings clear when waiting in a queue. Most disobey that law of course.

33 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

It would be best if everyone just obeyed the rules, and did not try to communicate unnecessarily.

The nightmare for those who follow the rules:

1474827020.jpg.f1f261c356d37db8cefb8f113

According to the StVO, nobody is allowed to pass: the yellow car should give way to the red car, the red car should give way to the green car, and finally, the green car also cannot turn left until the yellow car passes. 

What do you do? 

The car was at a complete stop, the driver was smiling and waving us to cross. There were no other cars anywhere. It would have been very rude of us not to accept his invitation. 

3 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

According to the StVO, nobody is allowed to pass: the yellow car should give way to the red car, the red car should give way to the green car, and finally, the green car also cannot turn left until the yellow car passes. 

What do you do? 

That scene looks like a fairly big intersection and there should be a priority sign somewhere. 

If not, what usually happens will be the red will go first, then the yellow, and then the green because he’s turning right. Is that right? No, but the design was poorly planned. 

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The car was at a complete stop, the driver was smiling and waving us to cross. There were no other cars anywhere. It would have been very rude of us not to accept his invitation. 

I assume this was one of those small streets in the city and not Leopoldstrasse or something like that. 

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We were just walking home from dinner out and a car stopped and flagged us to cross our street. I don't see the BFD.

BFD = Big Friendly Driver :rolleyes:

Of course it was a neighborhood street but, according to Fietsrad, we should have told the nice man to fuck off and explained ze rules to him.

15 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

That scene looks like a fairly big intersection and there should be a priority sign somewhere. 

If not, what usually happens will be the red will go first, then the yellow, and then the green because he’s turning right. Is that right? No, but the design was poorly planned. 

It's a graphical image, don't pay attention at the intersection size. 

In reality, this can be any residential neighborhood,  no priority signs. Even though this situation is unlikely, the probability is not zero. 

There is no direct answer in the StVO except the general rule of taking care of other vehicles and not endangering or hindering them. 

The drivers should open the windows and agree with each other who goes first. 

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

What, a driver who had priority urged you to cross in front of him? Is that not an offence? I would not trust them to really stop and wait until I was over.

Yer there are so many drivers out there playing Death Race 2000 just going for the pedestrian points.

What might have happened if another vehicle was coming on the other side?

Well we would hope the driver had looked himself if not I´m sure most of us would actually fucking look ourselves before crossing.

It would be best if everyone just obeyed the rules,

An example of this thread being very German.

34 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

What do you do? 

This is exactly why I do not think automated driving systems will work, with the car programmed to follow the rules, and therefore in these types of situation, everyone just stands still

Just now, yesterday said:

This is exactly why I do not think automated driving systems will work, with the car programmed to follow the rules, and therefore in these types of situation, everyone just stands still

No please God no.

Now we´re going to get MM on here commenting how Tesla have made their software so spiffing that it will know what to do in this situation and no other manufacturers' software will and that´s why Tesla is the bestest ever.

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We can´t have drivers being helpful to other drivers and pedestrains,wont somebody think of the rules.

Talking of hand signals and being helpful I have noticed if I let someone out at a junction even if I have right of way then I very seldom get a thank you from the other driver.

I always thought it was just them being arseholes but now after reading this thread I think it´s just they are totally gobsmacked that someone hasn´t followed the rules.