Drivers and hand signals

68 posts in this topic

Are drivers legally allowed to make hand signals to pedestrians? For example, at traffic islands ("Verkehrsinseln") cars have the right of way and are not required to stop for pedestrians waiting on the traffic island. It can happen though that a car does stop and the driver waves his / her hand to indicate to the pedestrian that he / she should go ahead and cross the road.

When I did my driving test in Ireland over 20 years ago I was explicitly told by the driving instructor never to give any hand signals such as

waving to pedestrians as in the case of an accident as I could be considered (at least partly) liable.

I routinely make hand gestures to pedestrians, but these are likely not the kind that would be endorsed by a driving instructor.  :lol:

No, you should not try to communicate. Just obey the law.

One place near me many drivers, who have priority, stop to let people walk across. Really stupid. Actually they are too stupid to actually stop and apply the handbrake, they move off before the way is clear.

Just obey the law, and do not try to communicate.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Just obey the law, and do not try to communicate.

Is there a law that states you are not allowed to stop and let people cross?

When, in a car, you have the right of way and you stop to let a person cross the road in front of you and another car passes you, which is legal, if the pedestrian is injured, you must be found liable. If for nothing else, for being an idiot. Pedestrians also have to follow the rules of the road.

There are lots of laws about who has priority. If I do not have priority I wait, even if a stupid misguided driver urges me to cross.

If you don't know the rulles of the road, you have no business driving a car.

7 hours ago, mike kelly said:

When I did my driving test in Ireland over 20 years ago...

This 👻.

4 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

There are lots of laws about who has priority. If I do not have priority I wait, even if a stupid misguided driver urges me to cross.

Actually, I agree with this as a pedestrian. Several times it has happened that a driver has stopped and urged me to cross, but after I was nearly run over by another driver overtaking him on the turn-off lane I just resist and wave him on. He probably thinks I'm an idiot and I really do wonder what they are thinking when they know there's a turn-off lane parallel to their own lane. 

Perfectly fine when there is no turn-off lane. I appreciate the politeness and I make sure no other cars are coming before I cross.

It really depends on the situation. On my small side streets, I just drive slowly and let them go and they usually thank me with a wave. This is usually 30 zones. I also let people cross after they get off a bus (I think that is a law?). But if it is some idiot trying to cross a busy street, I drive slowly and do not wave them. 

I am cautious about waving someone, but I also don’t want to kill anyone to make myself not liable by not waving. Pedestrians don’t annoy me as much as cyclists who just do whatever they want sometimes. 

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

It really depends on the situation. On my small side streets, I just drive slowly and let them go and they usually thank me with a wave. This is usually 30 zones. I also let people cross after they get off a bus (I think that is a law?). 

When the bus is stopped at a bus stop with its warning lights blinking, the law is you have to pass the bus at walking pace in both directions. There's no requirement to let passengers cross afaik.

19 minutes ago, Acton said:

Buses don't blink warning lights at bus stops.

Not often but he´s right in what you have to do if they do have their hazard lights on while at a bus stop.

Dürfen Busse an Haltestellen überholt werden? Was ist vorgeschrieben, wenn der Bus die Warnblinkanlage eingeschaltet hat? Regeln, die an Bushaltstellen gelten.

• Bus an der Haltestelle: Vorbeifahren erlaubt, auf Fahrgäste achten

• Warnblinker eingeschaltet: Nur mit Schrittgeschwindigkeit am Bus vorbei

• Auch der Gegenverkehr muss auf Vorschriften achten

Selbst wenn die Führerscheinprüfung noch nicht so weit zurückliegt, an die Vorschriften, die an Bushaltestellen gelten, können sich viele Autofahrer im Alltag nicht mehr erinnern. Vor allem, wann und ob man an haltenden Bussen vorbeifahren darf, ist schnell wieder vergessen. Frischen Sie Ihre Kenntnisse auf.

Are you allowed to overtake buses at bus stops? What is required when the bus has its hazard lights on? Rules that apply at bus stops.

•     Bus at bus stop: passing allowed, watch out for passengers.
  •     Hazard warning lights on: Only pass the bus at walking speed
  •     Oncoming traffic must also observe the rules

Even if the driver's license test is not so far back, many drivers can no longer remember the regulations that apply at bus stops in everyday life.

Above all, when and whether you are allowed to drive past stopping buses is quickly forgotten. Refresh your knowledge.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

ADAC

Don't remember ever seeing a bus with hazard lights on,

but the law is clear.

Interesting - pmd was right, then, you do have to drive super slowly, but not necessarily let them cross in front of you.

It has happened to me very occasionally, but I don't think anyone tried to cross :mellow:

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

Interesting - pmd was right, then, you do have to drive super slowly, but not necessarily let them cross in front of you.

It has happened to me very occasionally, but I don't think anyone tried to cross :mellow:

And what happens if they cross in front of you? What’s the law then? IMO, it is easier to just stop and let them go if it is a residential street. Who wants to deal with the paperwork if god forbid you hit them? I would not do this on city streets, btw. There are tons of crosswalks for crossing. I will obviously try to not hit them.

Well, it's assumed that you are driving at walking pace so that if one steps out from in front of the bus into your path, you will be slow enough to stop, and the dude behind the same and so on.

If they are just hanging about there, looking hopeful then I think you are supposed to drive very slowly past with a grumpy face on, to make it clear that they are Not Supposed to Cross.

If it ever happened to me, I would stop. Else you might get it wrong and squash them. And as you say, imagine the paperwork, even at 5kph or whatever walking pace is :o

On 4/8/2022, 1:14:34, mike kelly said:

Are drivers legally allowed to make hand signals to pedestrians? For example, at traffic islands ("Verkehrsinseln") cars have the right of way and are not required to stop for pedestrians waiting on the traffic island. It can happen though that a car does stop and the driver waves his / her hand to indicate to the pedestrian that he / she should go ahead and cross the road.

When I did my driving test in Ireland over 20 years ago I was explicitly told by the driving instructor never to give any hand signals such as

waving to pedestrians as in the case of an accident as I could be considered (at least partly) liable.

On 4/8/2022, 5:54:36, Keleth said:

Is there a law that states you are not allowed to stop and let people cross?

If there is traffic behind you, and by stopping you obscure the flow of traffic (and possibly cause accidents) then you break the law. In this sense, yes, there is a law against stopping. 

What is safer is to slow down to 30 kmh and blink headlights to the pedestrian while approaching the traffic island to indicate that they can cross safely. 

On 8.4.2022, 13:14:34, mike kelly said:

It´s the same in Germany. You are allowed to give hand signs, but you have to check that it´s really safe to cross (in other words, make sure that there is e.g. no car overtaking you).

20 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

hat is safer is to slow down to 30 kmh and blink headlights to the pedestrian while approaching the traffic island to indicate that they can cross safely. 

That´s not allowed within built-up areas.