Health insurance for over-30-years-old student 4 years after coming to Germany

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife came to Germany about 4 years ago. Till October 2021 when she started a master degree, she was looking for a job and since I had (and still have) a private health insurance as a fulltime employee, we used Expatcare Classic from Mawista as her health insurance. She was with this health insurance for almost whole of last 4 years till the end of February 2022. In between just for 4 months, she used health insurance from AOK because she had a temporary job with a salary under the threshold.

For March 2022, we didn't extend her insurance because she was in our home country from middle of Feb. till end of March 2022. Now we are looking for a new health insurance for her. Since she is student, over 30 years old and is in Germany for more than 4 years, which health insure do you suggest?

  * Should we still use a cheap private health (travel) insurance like Care Expatriate from CareConcept for next couple of months (till almost end of the year when it will be 5 years from the time she came to Germany) and then looking for another health insurance at that time?

  * Supposed we took Care Expatriate, if she could find a student job or internship in between, can she easily switch to a public health insurance with some contribution from her employer? Here maybe I should mention that she has a family reunion visa not student visa!

 

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure, taking travel health insurances is cheaper and since for serious medical cases we normally go to our home country a minimum insurance coverage should be enough for us but I am afraid that in December when she will be in Germany for 5 years, finding another health insurance would be difficult or very expensive! If now we go for Care Expatriate from CareConcept, is it possible to take Student health insurance from TK (or other public health insurance) in December easily? As a reminder at that time she will be over 36.

Is there anyway that my wife get added to my health insurance from HanseMerkur? If not, can I switch to a public health insurance in order to do this? I have never had a public health insurance in Germany.

 

@john g. and/or @Starshollow, may I ask for your advise please?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello SonH! I will read your post and get back to you later today! 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon, SohM!

 

Let me see if I understand correctly- from  Feb to March you didn't extend the insurance because she was abroad. Do you mean the Mawista one?

If she becomes a student at 36, she is too " old " for student insurance and she has to stay privately insured somewhere.

If she is allowed to work and gets paid employee work at over 450 euros a month, then she can apply for public insurance ( the cost shared with the employer.)

 

Private insurance? You write " for serious medical cases " you normally go home. Does that mean your wife has serious pre-existing conditions? That would make it tough to get comprehensive private German health insurance.

 

And the concept of travelling home for serious medical cases would fall by the wayside if she were unable to travel because of eg an accident or emergency medical condition requiring immediate admission into a German hospital.

 

HanseMerkur: you are privately insured , which means you earn over the income threshold , and which further means you cannot switch to public insurance.

You could ask HanseMerkur for a quote for your wife as you are their client and they would accept her ( pending a medical check up at a doctor in Germany ) but only if YOU are the applicant ( Antragsteller ) and your wife the person to be insured at your expense. 

 

One possible advantage of this approach:

your employer pays half of your HanseMerkur premium every month.

 

An employer is legally obliged to contribute up to 367.65 euros a month for the health insurance and up to 73.77 for the nursing care. In other words, up to 441.42 a month.

 

I cannot imagine your current HanseMerkur contract costing 441.42 times 2 a month if you are under 40 or so ( and depending which tariff you have and if with private hospital room etc ) .. SO:

 

IF your current premium is under 441.42 a month, there is leeway for HanseMerkur to quote for your wife and some of her potential premium would be covered by the employer!

 

Jargon aside😂:

Example: your current total price is 600 euros a month ( shared with your employer ). A further 282.42 a month as part of your wife's costs would be paid for by your employer.

 

Please note: this works ONLY if both spouses are privately insured by the same company - in your case, HanseMerkur.

 

Toytown's star tax accountant aka PandaMunich wrote a superb post about that on this forum a few weeks ago.

 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon, john g.

 

Thank you so much for your answer and consideration.

 

17 minutes ago, john g. said:

Let me see if I understand correctly- from  Feb to March you didn't extend the insurance because she was abroad. Do you mean the Mawista one?mIf she becomes a student at 36, she is too " old " for student insurance and she has to stay privately insured somewhere.

Yes, I mean the Mawista. Could this gap make a problem even she was abroad?

 

30 minutes ago, john g. said:

If she is allowed to work and gets paid employee work at over 450 euros a month, then she can apply for public insurance ( the cost shared with the employer.)

She is allowed to work. She could have student work or do an internship for next semester. In both cases, she could earn over 450 euro per month. But these are temporary job for up to 6 months. What will happen if she couldn't work after couple of months let's say 4 months? Can she keep the public health insurance while she is still student?

 

45 minutes ago, john g. said:

You write " for serious medical cases " you normally go home. Does that mean your wife has serious pre-existing conditions? That would make it tough to get comprehensive private German health insurance.

And the concept of travelling home for serious medical cases would fall by the wayside if she were unable to travel because of eg an accident or emergency medical condition requiring immediate admission into a German hospital.

I don't think so (or I don't hope so :rolleyes:). I mean even for dental filling, yearly checkups and etc. Yes, an insurance coverage is needed for accident or emergency situations.

And in between we may have a baby in 1 or 2 years.

 

48 minutes ago, john g. said:

HanseMerkur: you are privately insured , which means you earn over the income threshold , and which further means you cannot switch to public insurance.

You could ask HanseMerkur for a quote for your wife as you are their client and they would accept her ( pending a medical check up at a doctor in Germany ) but only if YOU are the applicant ( Antragsteller ) and your wife the person to be insured at your expense. 

 

One possible advantage of this approach:

your employer pays half of your HanseMerkur premium every month.

 

An employer is legally obliged to contribute up to 367.65 euros a month for the health insurance and up to 73.77 for the nursing care. In other words, up to 441.42 a month.

 

I cannot imagine your current HanseMerkur contract costing 441.42 times 2 a month if you are under 40 or so ( and depending which tariff you have and if with private hospital room etc ) .. SO:

 

IF your current premium is under 441.42 a month, there is leeway for HanseMerkur to quote for your wife and some of her potential premium would be covered by the employer!

 

Jargon aside😂:

Example: your current total price is 600 euros a month ( shared with your employer ). A further 282.42 a month as part of your wife's costs would be paid for by your employer.

 

Please note: this works ONLY if both spouses are privately insured by HanseMerkur.

 

Toytown's star tax accountant aka PandaMunich wrote a superb post about that on this forum a few weeks ago.

 This is interesting. I will ask for a quote. By the way, currently my employer contributes about 290 euro for my health insurance. So not that much margin to 367.65 euro. and in this case how HanseMerkur act about discounts on my premium? currently I have a considerable discount because of not using the insurance for a while. If we have to use the health insurance for my wife, does this affect discounts on my premium? 

I will also look for the post from PandaMunich.

 

Thank you again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah! Small gap with Mawista! If applying for private or public German insurance- could mean backpayments. But the issue is even more complicated as German private insurers don't recognise Mawista as a legitimate previous insurance. You MUST double check with HanseMerkur on that.

 

Public insurers in Germany don't recognise Mawista, either , unless your wife has been a student. So, again, there MAY be a potential issue with backpayments if she got into the public system. You would need to double check here.

 

Best would be with AOK as she was with them for a while. She could have stayed with them after those four months as a voluntary member ( though it could have been expensive if she was no longer earning her own income as they would have considered her income as being half of yours!! eg let us say you earn 70,000 euros a year. AOK would have said " Ok, Mrs SohM, this is the German system. Your " income " is actually half of your husband's ie 35,000 euros a year " and would have based  her  premium on c.15.5 per cent of that!! )🤭"

 

Your HanseMerkur: you have the ProFit tariff! What counts is the employer contribution - NOT your monthly no claims bonus and effective price. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2022, 6:10:42, john g. said:

Ah! Small gap with Mawista! If applying for private or public German insurance- could mean backpayments. But the issue is even more complicated as German private insurers don't recognise Mawista as a legitimate previous insurance. You MUST double check with HanseMerkur on that.

 

Public insurers in Germany don't recognise Mawista, either , unless your wife has been a student. So, again, there MAY be a potential issue with backpayments if she got into the public system. You would need to double check here.

 

Best would be with AOK as she was with them for a while. She could have stayed with them after those four months as a voluntary member ( though it could have been expensive if she was no longer earning her own income as they would have considered her income as being half of yours!! eg let us say you earn 70,000 euros a year. AOK would have said " Ok, Mrs SohM, this is the German system. Your " income " is actually half of your husband's ie 35,000 euros a year " and would have based  her  premium on c.15.5 per cent of that!! )🤭"

 

Your HanseMerkur: you have the ProFit tariff! What counts is the employer contribution - NOT your monthly no claims bonus and effective price. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

 

Thank you again for the excellent and professional answer, advise and help.

If I understood your points correctly, currently the best option (cheapest and with good insurance coverage) for us till she gets fully and permanent employed is that I act as the applicant for her health insurance to HanseMerkr. Right? 

In your earlier reply, you mentioned that @PandaMunich has a post about this. By chance do you remember name of the topic from that post or a link to that? He is also really active in the forum and I couldn't find the post by searching!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning, SohM! Yes, your wife should have fully comprehensive insurance and get into the German system. I note you plan to have a child in a year or two. You never know - it could happen earlier and she needs full cover for pregnancy etc without a waiting time. ( PS: I wasn't planned😂).

 

I will try to find Panda's thread on employer/employee contribution matter!

 

Edit:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/391425-employer-has-to-contribute-to-spouseschildrens-private-healthnursing-insurance/

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now