Returning to Germany with an unexpired residence permit after deregistering?

6 posts in this topic

I currently have a residence permit tied to a job. The permit will expire in November. I will quit my job in April, deregister (abmeldung) and move outside of Europe. The public health insurance will be cancelled as well.

I want to ask if afterwards, say in August, I would like to return to Europe for a trip, can I still use the residence card to enter? The only rule about expiration that I read is when one leaves Germany for more than 6 months, which I won't violate if I return this summer. Without an EU residence card, someone from my country would need a tourist visa to enter Germany.

Thank you all!

Hi, I understand you won't have no problem, the abmeldung makes no difference.

I would advise to get some form of travel health insurance just in case anybody asks.

But of course, before anybody jumps to insult me...let me tell you I am not an expert on law or inmigration ;)

good luck!

Can I ask a follow-up question slightly related, so as to keep everything in one thread?

Say you have a residence permit. You plan to stay away for a period less than six months, but that involves stopping the rent from the place you are staying in anticipation of returning to a new place. So that means you have to de-register (abmelden), yet you are not going to re-register anywhere until you return. So while you are away, it is like you are in limbo, you do not actually have any Abmeldung at all...

Given that everything in Germany seems to be interlinked (1) Does this affect your residence permit at all? What if the Ausländerbehörde happens to look you up at that exact time and finds you have no Abmeldung? (2) Can you just keep on paying your public health insurance all the time you are away from Germany?

You have a RESIDENCE permit and you leave the country therefore you deregister and stablish RESIDENCE somewhere else.  What do you think it happens to your RESIDENCE permit?  As far as I know, if you haven't been in Germany for at least 15 years the permit will be voided.  And even after more than 15 years you still have to prove financial means to reactivate the permit.

But you should ask someone who knows better.   Maybe ask in https://www.info4alien.de/

P.S., @Sumarokov-Elston if  you plan to leave for some months and then come back and live here again, I recommend you do not do Abmeldung and instead you just "freeze" your health insurance if you will not need it and you want to save money.  You will have to pay something like 50 EUR a month.

48 minutes ago, Krieg said:

P.S., @Sumarokov-Elston if  you plan to leave for some months and then come back and live here again, I recommend you do not do Abmeldung and instead you just "freeze" your health insurance if you will not need it and you want to save money.  You will have to pay something like 50 EUR a month.

Is that poosible without Abmeldung? I somehow doubt it.

since your residence permit is tied to your job, leaving that job in April will trigger expiration of your residence permit "instantly". Your employer has to report the fact that your employment ends.

https://efarbeitsrecht.net/die-neue-mitteilungspflicht-im-auslaenderbeschaeftigungsrecht-ab-maerz-2020/

If you want to come back to Germany later (4 months later, or 6 months later, or any time later) you'll simply need whatever visa is required.