German Citizenship Application and Physical Presence

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

So I am technically eligible for German Citizenship. Been Permanent resident (Niederlassungserlaubnis) for 9+ years. Own a property and live in Munich (mostly).

-but- during this COVID times, we got a taste for being digital nomad.

While we never left Germany longer than 179 days in any outing; I am about to exceed the 180+ day barrier in aggregate. I mean every few months I fly in, hang around few days, collect mails, hang out with customers etc and fly out again.

So purely for the purposes of German Citizenship application; Do they perform a `physical presence` test:

- Do they ask times and durations of each travel (USA does this in their Citizenship application)

- Do they ask German Border Police of your border passing records?

Or do they even care so long you are a tax paying, property owning, with a proper anmeldung?

As far I understood the key concept is "Lawful habitual residence" defined in here: 

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/downloads/DE/veroeffentlichungen/themen/verfassung/stag-anwendungshinweise-06-15.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=5

60e9410f-6dde-4dd5-9029-8ebffd7a6d7a.jpg

as far as I can tell nothing specifically says anything about Physical Presence; and as far as I can tell, FinanzAmt will never try to prevent me from paying taxes, and keep my tax resident status.

Best regards,

AI HAL9000

I´m not a lawyer, but in my native German understanding "gewöhnlicher Aufenthalt" implies physical presence.

It's time you consult an immigration lawyer. I believe they do check the records of Ausreise (out of Schengen), but only the German one. If you fly out of Italy, they don't have access to it. 

Within Schengen, they have no way to check anything. You can live in a border town and do your groceries in the Czech Republic every day, this is legal and not recorded. 

6 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I believe they do check the records of Ausreise (out of Schengen), but only the German one. If you fly out of Italy, they don't have access to it. 

According to an immigration lawyer I consulted, the definition is intentionally vague and not well defined; and there is no such thing as a `presence test`; and its forbidden for the Amt doing the applications asking the BorderAmt for your travel dates etc.

I had difficulty believing this, wanted to ask if anyone has a contrarian information.

Couldn't you ask the Ausländerbehörde for permission to leave ( citing business reasons) for more than 180 days, to be on the safe side?

9 minutes ago, Aihal said:

According to an immigration lawyer I consulted, the definition is intentionally vague and not well defined; and there is no such thing as a `presence test`;

The definition of "gewöhnlicher Aufenthalt" in immigration law can be found in this commentary: https://www.migrationsrecht.net/kommentar-staatsangehoerigkeitsgesetz-stag-deutscher-pass-stag/kommentierung-stag-einbuergerung-aufenthaltsdauer.html

• Danach hat ein Ausländer seinen gewöhnlichen Aufenthalt in Deutschland, wenn er nicht nur vorübergehend, sondern auf unabsehbare Zeit hier lebt, so dass eine Beendigung des Aufenthalts ungewiss ist. Dies ist der Fall, wenn er hier nach den tatsächlichen Verhältnissen seinen Lebensmittelpunkt hat. Hierfür bedarf es mehr als der bloßen Anwesenheit des Betroffenen während einer bestimmten Zeit. 
  • According to this, a foreigner has his or her habitual residence in Germany if he or she lives here not only temporarily, but for an unforeseeable period of time, so that a termination of the residence is uncertain. This is the case if he or she has his or her centre of life here according to the actual circumstances. This requires more than the mere presence of the person concerned for a certain period of time.