Property Purchase: hiring expert person to check status

40 posts in this topic

Hi,

we are going to look for a flat or house to buy in the Munich area. As you all know the market here is crazy and I am sure that when we will find what we like (and fits our budget) we will not have that much time to think and take a decision. When that time will come we would like to hire (on very short notice) an expert that will come with us to check the properties in case of any issues or defects we did not spot.

Do you know with which german keyword I should google for it ? Anyone here had experiences with this kind of professionist ? What was the cost and for which service in particular ?

thanks

Gutachter maybe?

But I don't think this is useful. Issues are either so visible that you don't need a professional to spot them, or they are so "invisible" that even a professional will not notice them just by looking around. This is what an architect told me.

I don'T know honestly. At least in this we think we would be quite naives.

For example how we knows if a crack on the wall it is just a coat/plaster one or a structural one. And in the first case how we can know if this is something recurrring maybe due to transpiration and humidity problem ?

Again, it is just an example 

Not exactly answering your question but maybe still interesting for you to know:

when "you build" your own house (this confused me a lot: you don't build it yourself, you have a contract with a construction company and they build it for you, according to all details  agreed on the contract), you the Bauherr often hire an external Baubegleiter, a professional that during the construction phase inspects the site a few times to confirm the construction is being doing correctly. I never heard of a Bauherr NOT having a Baubegleiter. But I also never heard of a house buyer having a professional inspection on an existing house. Just ask around. Good luck.

Back in England everybody at the time was crazy about having to change the boiler. We too. So immediately after purchase we called the plumber and told him we "had to" change the 40yr old boiler. Why? Because it was old. He refused, he said "never replace a working boiler". Now 10yr later still working fine (of course the gas engineer services it regularly).

Often people short on cash err one side, don't service and don't replace stuff, and long term end up spending more. And people with plenty of cash err the opposite side: replace stuff unnecessarily, just wasting money and damaging the environment. Why? Because it's old.

I'm not really sure how it is here in Germany but in the UK you won't get a mortgage without a surveyors report confirming the property is worth the asking price!

Oh come on, a joje

10 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

in the UK you won't get a mortgage without a surveyors report confirming the property is worth the asking price!

A joke.

The valuation done by the mortgage lenders in the UK consist in "inspecting" the property from the outside for like 45 seconds.

And they charge you few hundreds for this.

I'm no but expert but I bought two houses in the UK, with mortgages, and with "valuation" of course.

2 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

A joke.

The valuation done by the mortgage lenders in the UK consist in "inspecting" the property from the outside for like 45 seconds.

And they charge you few hundreds for this.

On a new or fairly new property maybe but on my first house purchase a Victorian one, the lenders survey detailed a number of items I had to commit to make good and lowered the the valuation! On another I wanted to buy the survey result was so bad I pulled out! In both cases it was clear that a detailed inspection of both the inside and outside was carried out!

My son is buying the house they have rented for years in the U.S. He had an inspector come who spent 4 hours checking roof, attic, under the house and all electrics and plumbing. It cost $ 400. He was going to buy the house regardless but got a good idea on how much to offer. He will also take the inspection to the bank for a loan.

Never hurts.

7 hours ago, Frantic said:

Do you know with which german keyword I should google for it ?

Bausachverständiger or Bauingenieur

I've had a Gutachter twice here in Germany to survey my roof and neither of them was very good. Spouting BS left and right, failing to identify problems and making up problems where there were none. 

In Canada most people will get a home inspection and it's wise to get one because the inspector is insured and should he fail to identify a problem you can take him to court and his insurance will supposedly pay. Here in Germany I don't know if that is the case.

I've bought a condo and two houses in my lifetime all without a home inspection. The condo was ok, both houses have had problems that I wasn't aware of but not to the point of falling on my head yet. 

Bank made us get surveys done in the UK for a house we bought there - few bits and bobs came up.

House 1 here - not a chance of finding a surveyor. Everyone laughed themselves silly and said if there's a problem the old owners are liable. Stupid system. Who wouldn't want a detailed survey? We asked a civil engineer mate to come but that was like Gambatte's 45 second job.

House 2 was from BImA and came with a very detailed survey already done and a How Green is your House paper which I have 'lost'  because it's so crap I'd rather not spread the news. We have insulated the roof. Walls this year.

12 hours ago, kiplette said:

House 2 was from BImA and came with a very detailed survey already done and a How Green is your House paper which I have 'lost'  because it's so crap I'd rather not spread the news.

haumichwech.gif.ba8ca82f80f0ac65043b0b00

Seems the German way is to buy the house with a current legal insurance policy and then sue the owner afterwards for any defects that were not pointed out. Be very careful when selling. 

On 18/03/2022, 8:36:15, jeba said:

Bausachverständiger or Bauingenieur

Yes, or just an architect who knows what they're doing - that's what we did. We thought it was worth it.

Is is a little different here though. In Australia, you buy what you see, so the buyer bears all the responsibility. Here, I believe, the seller is required to be upfront about all issues or potential problems that will cost you down the track.

22 hours ago, GoBike said:

Seems the German way is to buy the house with a current legal insurance policy and then sue the owner afterwards for any defects that were not pointed out. Be very careful when selling. 

Are you a cyclist? Me too. I love climbing (I mean, cycling uphill).

Some tips:

Get a court appointed expert for the survey, it costs more but it means you have less trouble in the future if anything needs to go to court. 

Make sure you have legal insurance that covers property purchase/ownership especially if it's a new building.  Most have it excluded as i found out.

Yesterday we met Postbank mortgage broker. He told us it does not worth having a gutachter for two reasons : 1)the bank will send its own when we will ask for the mortgage 2) "they will be able to spot just what they can see". 

I am not really convinced about what he said. 

I was googling around (also reviews made by customers) and I saw that actually they also measure humidity in the wall with some tools. From what I read doesn't seem to me they just walk around looking for that big Crack or Huge humidity spot they also we, not expert, could spot.