Advice on potential contract dispute

5 posts in this topic

My girlfriend found an online "veterinarian" that offered an online "academy" to help dog owners treat their dogs at home without going to a traditional veterinarian. The price of the "academy" was 1.000 euros/month for 3 months. I was adamantly against this, since it seemed like a scam to me. My girlfriend absolutely insisted on this, however. When I spoke to one of the representatives via video chat, they told me I could pay in installments and cancel if I didn't want to pay for the rest. Now, after the first month, I convinced my girlfriend that this is, in fact, some weird scam. This "doctor" encourages feeding your dog Chlorine and weird chemicals to heal it. This online doctor runs his operation out of Cypress and is online only because he legally can't open a practice in Germany due to the "treatments" he recommends. It's a total scam.

Anyway - my girlfriend informed them that we are not paying any more and they said we signed a 3 month subscription (when we made the first payment) and there is no way out of it. She signed up for the "academy" but I made the first payment with my credit card. Am I forced to pay the remaining 2 months to this scam doctor? What is a worst case scenario if I refuse? I will be contacting a lawyer about this, so if anyone has any recommendations for an English speaking lawyer in the Frankfurt/Darmstadt area, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any assistance/guidance.

The scam is on Cyprus. I doubt they can force you to pay. But I am not a lawyer. Do you have German legal insurance? You want to contact a lawyer. Otherwise, expect to pay and it can add up.

If you don't have legal cost insurance you might want to ask the local "Verbraucherschutzzentrale" for legal advice. Will be cheaper.

If what they recommend is indeed not allowed to be recommended in Germany I doubt that the contract is enforceable in Germany. But this is a question for a lawyer.