Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Grand 鈥榦l Dog thread

49 posts in this topic

My partner Nicole took this pic this afternoon of young Mandy cosying up to old Roza!馃槀

64094217-CD0A-4169-B5BE-677A2BFEF6C5.jpeg

On 3/5/2022, 12:07:14, Boggsdollocks said:

I鈥檓 intrigued by this Harzer Wandernadel. I鈥檝e seen it mentioned occasionally but have always forgotten to follow up on it. Is it any good?聽

Sorry for prying about your football allegiances!:lol:聽I once met an Englander Steve many years ago at L枚wenwall, who for some reason I assume聽is a Chelsea fan, even though as I think about it now, there was no mention of it at all when we spoke, and I was just curious if you might be him.

If you spend any time in Harz at all it's good. The stempels are scattered all over the place, usually located near to something of significance, a viewpoint or such. We usually try to factor a stempel or two into a walk, gets us out to see different places if nothing else. That said it's taken us 3 years to collect about 10% of them...

L枚wenwall is 5mins from my house, funnily enough.

On 07/03/2022, 09:37:17, SteveBraunschweig said:

If you spend any time in Harz at all it's good. The stempels are scattered all over the place, usually located near to something of significance, a viewpoint or such. We usually try to factor a stempel or two into a walk, gets us out to see different places if nothing else. That said it's taken us 3 years to collect about 10% of them...

L枚wenwall is 5mins from my house, funnily enough.

I head to the Harz fairly often, looking for less travelled paths just to get away from 鈥渃ivilisation鈥. I鈥檒l take a closer look at the Wandernadel. Thanks for that. I have just started to聽explore聽the L眉neburger Heide area. Seems like it鈥檚 excellent for walking but dogs need to be on a lead. I was actually planning a day trip up to the Nordsee/Ostsee recently but it got scuppered by dodgy weather. I thought it鈥檇 be fun to introduce Molly to the sea. Her Labrador mind would have聽been blown!:D

Does anyone have any experience in training their dogs to be search and rescue dogs? Or is part of an organisation in Germany that does that? I would be glad to hear of any personal experience.聽

On 11.3.2022, 18:02:44, Boggsdollocks said:

Does anyone have any experience in training their dogs to be search and rescue dogs? Or is part of an organisation in Germany that does that? I would be glad to hear of any personal experience.聽

We do mantrailing for fun, but there are some people in our group that also train for the "real world" and they train with the Deutsche Rote Kreuz in our area. I also know someone who does S&E, also with DRK. I think most of the volunteers for any kind of rescue are trained by the rescue organizations.聽

A quick google for Braunschweig led me to the Malteser聽

Rettungshundestaffel (malteser-braunschweig.de)

I do know that the training is very time consuming 2-3 times during the week and full day on the weekends. A friend of mine used to mantrail with DRK but stopped as she never had any good outcome and after years it became very depressing.聽

Thanks @maxie. The intensive time investment was not something I anticipated. Shame. I鈥檝e been trying some scent work at home with Molly and she seems pretty good at it. I haven鈥檛 tried聽Mantrailing (it鈥檚 such a strange term- very psycho-sexual vibe!) yet on account of the covid restrictions but that has lifted, and I really should start looking around again.聽
Since I鈥檓 here, let鈥檚 have more gratuitous photos of Molly, shall we?

E6820036-BB8F-4B9D-905A-A9A0D279BA72.jpeg

A3D1FADB-7277-4463-A76C-3AFB578B4C49.jpeg

5 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

let鈥檚 have more gratuitous photos of Molly, shall we

And a very pretty girl she is!聽

We have a lot of fun trailing and it is usually a very nice crowd of people.聽

I found these for Braunschweig聽

Mantrailing, Hundeschule, Sachkundepr眉fung - Was ist Mantrailing (mantrailing-braunschweig.eu)

Familienhunde Braunschweig e. V. - Mantrailing (familienhunde-braunschweig.de)

But if you work with a dog trainer or have friends who do, they might also be able to recommend someone.聽

..and here's Fritz, enjoying this morning's early聽sun in the garden:

Image preview

Mandy was chilling out with her friend Lana at the neighbour麓s place after her rabies jab today:

PHOTO-2022-03-21-14-38-55.jpg

The world's most uncooperative dog had a trip to the hairdresser last week.
A typical poodle cut is well beyond the realms of possibility and even getting him to look as reasonable as this is a minor miracle.

The paw being up in begging mode due to a treat being waved to attract his attention!

Hound.jpg.9405a04ff05b893af07bfaaed25855

Just received a pic of Perla, one of our rescue dogs from Crete and which I brought over to a lady in Hannover a couple of years ago. She is doing well and looking chubbier than on the streets at that time!

Bless you, Perla!鉂わ笍鉂わ笍鉂わ笍鉂わ笍

D40AF5DB-3E6E-46DC-8938-084AAF8A5623.jpeg

Poppy is nearly 12 years old and has real problems with stiff hips after her Kreuzbandriss/snapped cruciate ligament last year.

But she is still a lovely lady!

IMG_3532.jpeg