Do landlords accept the free Schufa version?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm a freelancer/artist and searching for a long-term flat in Berlin. I know I can get a free Schufa report each year, but there are also paid versions. I wonder if the majority of landlords accept the free version? Do they have any difference? 

It has been really hard to find a long-term flat without a working contract. I've been in Berlin for 3 years and moving around in different short-term studios/flats. Would really appreciate some help and advice, thanks a lot!

Thank you @Santitas ! I'll submit it to the landlord :)

I just requested the free Schufa yesterday, when do they normally arrive by post? if you know:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, orangebb said:

Thank you @Santitas ! I'll submit it to the landlord :)

I just requested the free Schufa yesterday, when do they normally arrive by post? if you know:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, it can take a while. The last time we ordered one, we were offered the apartment before it even came 🧐 We submitted one that was from last year (i.e.-older than six months), and they just took us at our word that we hadn’t wrecked our credit since then 🤷🏿‍♀️

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

Unfortunately, it can take a while. The last time we ordered one, we were offered the apartment before it even came 🧐 We submitted one that was from last year (i.e.-older than six months), and they just took us at our word that we hadn’t wrecked our credit since then 🤷🏿‍♀️

I see, haha, thanks! good luck for me then! I find it extremely hard as a freelancer to find a long-term flat, since I don't have a working contract...

A little unrelated tip, orangebb- when you are looking for a flat, tell the owner you have personal liability insurance ( private Haftpflichtversicherung  ) covering possible  damage to a rented property - that will win you brownie points. Many owners demand you prove you have such an insurance and it shows you are aware how reassuring it is for owners that you ( presumably ) as a foreigner have it.

( Assuming you have this insurance, which everyone in Germany should have anyway)...

20 minutes ago, john g. said:

A little unrelated tip- when you are looking for a flat, tell the owner you have personal liability insurance ( private Haftpflichtversicherung  ) covering possible  damage to a rented property - that will win you brownie points. Many owners demand you prove you have such an insurance and it shows you are aware how reassuring it is for owners.

( Assuming you have this insurance, which everyone in Germany should have anyway)...

Thank you John! That's a useful tip! I don't have this insurance... which company's Haftpflichtversicherung do you recommend? I'll have a look!

Well, I shouldn't really plug myself but I am an insurance broker!😂 There are many things to know- this cheap insurance is not only for tenants but for all aspects of your private life which could damage a third party's property or health. If you wish, you can send me a PM with your email address and I can send information on what I can recommend and what such an insurance covers.

Disclaimer: independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser on Toytown.. bla bla😂

33 minutes ago, john g. said:

tell the owner you have personal liability insurance ( private Haftpflichtversicherung  ) covering possible  damage to a rented property - that will win you brownie points.

I even stipulated in the lease contract that my tenant is obligated to have it.

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

Well, I shouldn't really plug myself but I am an insurance broker!😂 There are many things to know- this cheap insurance is not only for tenants but for all aspects of your private life which could damage a third party's property or health. If you wish, you can send me a PM with your email address and I can send information on what I can recommend and what such an insurance covers.

Disclaimer: independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser on Toytown.. bla bla😂

I see! Let me do some research and perhaps drop you a PM! thxx :DD

5 minutes ago, jeba said:

I even stipulated in the lease contract that my tenant is obligated to have it.

The flat I'm applying for right now asks for an additional Confirmation of no rent arrears, they haven't mentioned the insurance yet, let's find out...

7 hours ago, orangebb said:

The flat I'm applying for right now asks for an additional Confirmation of no rent arrears, they haven't mentioned the insurance yet, let's find out...

Not every rental contract requires it, which I find odd. If I owned a place and were renting it out, I’d require it.

Hi all,

how/where do I request a 'free' Shufa. The internet throws up only paid for options.

Cheers

Matt

13 hours ago, MattW said:

how/where do I request a 'free' Shufa. The internet throws up only paid for options.

For the free Schufa report, you have to fill out an application. This can be done online at meineschufa.de. To complete the application, a copy of both sides of an identification document must be attached to the form. This must show the first and last name, full address, date and place of birth. All other information, such as the photo on the identification document, can be blacked out. The attachment of a copy of the identity document serves to identify the applicant beyond doubt.

deepl-translation from https://www.rnd.de/geld-und-finanzen/wie-bekomme-ich-die-kostenlose-schufa-alle-infos-zu-antrag-und-kosten-K3K2JWVASBHQTMCRMNU34A6LJU.html