The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

Also a report from Bucha (use Chrome translation feature) by a friend of mine who is from Bucha and is a also a former BBC journalist:

5. Near almost every entrance now someone is cooking on fires, eggplants with water, cauldrons, smoked kettles, the smell of "castries" everywhere. It's like a campaign, but people are forced to live in this forced and unalterable "campaign" for more than a month. To this must be added the cold - the apartments are very cold, we slept in sleeping bags and under a blanket.
6. At the same time, people are not starving, there are many humanitarians, at the entrance I saw volunteers' cars every 5 minutes. There are no problems with food, with water in general, too (locals are already aware of where the wells are, but if someone brings an eggplant of clean water - do not refuse). There were two answers to my questions about what was missing: beer, electricity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61101906

Summary

1. Russia's defence ministry says the flagship vessel of its Black Sea fleet is seriously damaged
  2. They say a fire caused ammunition on the Moskva to explode, prompting an evacuation
  3. Ukraine says they hit it with two missiles, but this has not been confirmed
  4. The US is sending more artillery, armoured vehicles and helicopters to Ukraine
  5. In Mariupol, Russia says it has gained full control of the city
  6. Kyiv's defence ministry insists Ukrainian troops are holding out

43 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I would say they are learning quickly though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61103927

That was apparently sunk by 2 Neptune missiles which are made in Ukraine so no need for any weapons from outside to be involved in that.

Like I said Ukraine is a modern army but not ultra modern.Being one step behind the latest technology isn´t always a hindrance though as shown since this started.

31 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

6257fe726d1b3_warcrime.jpg.802ba88d95aaa

That´s exactly what I´m afraid will happen and why I would rather prefer giving the Donbasz and Luhansk regions away to keeping fighting (especially as the outcome will be the same, just with a difference in the amount of suffering and the number of deaths) if I was Ukrainian. Lesser evil and all that.

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

During the SWW...

As a complete aside, I've never seen the acronym SWW before. Its always been WWI and WWII. Is FWW and SWW in standard use?

The " acronym " issue has been mentioned/ discussed/ fought over / blood pressure raised on one or two threads recently.

( I started the " discussion ".)😂

2 hours ago, theGman said:

As a complete aside, I've never seen the acronym SWW before. Its always been WWI and WWII. Is FWW and SWW in standard use?

Not sure about the acronym but you find a lot of Brits (apart from you ;)) call it the Second World War rather than World War 2.

World War 2 seems to be a more American name for it.

40 minutes ago, tor said:

ctrl z.jpg

Just waiting for the Russians to say it hasn´t sunk but has merely been reclassed as a submarine.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

That´s exactly what I´m afraid will happen and why I would rather prefer giving the Donbasz and Luhansk regions away to keeping fighting (especially as the outcome will be the same, just with a difference in the amount of suffering and the number of deaths) if I was Ukrainian. Lesser evil and all that.

The man is an idiot.

Do we then let them have Latvia, Poland, Finland etc?

5 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61085810

Searching for the dead in Bucha - More than 500 bodies have been found so far

I usually have sympathy when soldiers die in war as it´s not their decision to be there etc.

However Bucha is why I´m struggling to have any sympathy for the Russian sailors who died on the Moskva or anywhere else.

6 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Not sure about the acronym but you find a lot of Brits (apart from you ;)) call it the Second World War rather than World War 2.

World War 2 seems to be a more American name for it.

The Great Patriotic War in Russia! It was a sort of special military operation...