The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

From the BBC:.

Speaking from the Vostochny Cosmodrome, some 3,450 miles (5550 km) east of Moscow, the Russian leader also drew upon the success of the Soviet space programme, comparing Gagarin's achievement during the Cold War to Russia's current international isolation.

"The sanctions were total, the isolation was complete but the Soviet Union was still first in space," Mr Putin said.

He's lost his marbles - "Russia was first in space so the invasion of Ukraine is OK..."

Honestly, where are the snipers when you need them? 

4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Speaking from the Vostochny Cosmodrome, some 3,450 miles (5550 km) east of Moscow, the Russian leader also drew upon the success of the Soviet space programme, comparing Gagarin's achievement during the Cold War to Russia's current international isolation.

"The sanctions were total, the isolation was complete but the Soviet Union was still first in space," Mr Putin said.

He's lost his marbles - "Russia was first in space so the invasion of Ukraine is OK..."

He forgot a "minor" detail that the Soviet space program was made possible by a Ukrainian scientist.

Another detail:

Arrested on a false official charge as a "member of an anti-Soviet counter-revolutionary organization" (which would later be reduced to "saboteur of military technology"),[6] he was imprisoned in 1938 for almost six years, including a few months in a Kolyma labour camp. Following his release he became a recognized rocket designer and a key figure in the development of the Soviet Intercontinental ballistic missile program.

A person who was arrested and tortured for nothing was the father of the Soviet space program (and the nukes, the same rockets were used for transporting nukes to America). 

4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

So he wants Russia to become the Soviet Union once more or so it sounds like.I wonder how many Russians would be happy with that.

I can imagine it's mostly a generational thing like anywhere else in the world. Older people: " in the good old days."

Guilty here in some ways in that regard... " when I was young.."

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

So he wants Russia to become the Soviet Union once more or so it sounds like.I wonder how many Russians would be happy with that.

The USSR was, at least formally, a union of independent countries. Even when in reality those countries were Moscow satellites, they were allowed to keep their language and culture (to the extent compatible with Marxism).

Russian fascists want to erase Ukraine from the map, band the name "Ukraine" and ban Ukrainian language. It sounds crazy and absurd for you, but not for anyone familiar with the history of Russia-Ukraine relations. Ukraine was always a sore in the eye of Russia. Putin wants to "fix the errors made by Lenin who created a fake country of Ukraine".

Further reading: Russia's genocide handbook

So, it's not really Soviet Union Putin is dreaming of. He is not a Marxist. He is dreaming of restoring the Russian Empire (which included Poland, Finland, the Baltics).

So now Putin and his partner in crime, Lukashenko, have discussed in detail the British special psychological operation that was perpetrated in Bucha, as if BoJo could have implemented such a plan if he’d wanted to.  These two evil men know no bounds.  I hope they rot in 🔥.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/12/putin-and-lukashenko-claim-british-operatives-committed-the-atrocities-in-bucha.html

13 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

So now Putin and his partner in crime, Lukashenko, have discussed in detail the British special psychological operation that was perpetrated in Bucha, as if BoJo could have implemented such a plan if he’d wanted to.  These two evil men know no bounds.  I hope they rot in 🔥.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/12/putin-and-lukashenko-claim-british-operatives-committed-the-atrocities-in-bucha.html

What absolutely disgusting, lying, inhumane people they are. Thank goodness Trump has been voted out and isn't in on the act. That would be even more disastrous. Unfortunately, most Russians (in Russia and here) probably believe every word. I can't express my disgust adequately, I'm simply not used to swearing. Putin has to be stopped - poisen, bullet, bomb ...

15 minutes ago, bramble said:

What absolutely disgusting, lying, inhumane people they are. Thank goodness Trump has been voted out and isn't in on the act. That would be even more disastrous. Unfortunately, most Russians (in Russia and here) probably believe every word. I can't express my disgust adequately, I'm simply not used to swearing. Putin has to be stopped - poisen, bullet, bomb ...

To be fair, the Russian diaspora members that I know where I live, mostly under 50, are very against Putin.  It’s that generational divide that exists.  My husband told me today that his 25 yo tandem language partner in Moscow said her former abusive stepfather was always against all ethnic minorities in Russia and always spouted evil views, akin to white supremacy.  The more he communicates with her the more he believes that those kind of nationalists prevail in Russia.  He worries every time she is late for a scheduled chat too.  I really think he’s become a support system for her. 

Yesterday I met a Russian wife/Ukrainian husband at my granddtr’s preschool here in Yerevan.  Their 5 yo daughter is in the same class.  He spoke of February 24th and how their world ended. It’s like when we say 9/11.  🥲  I mentioned that I am helping a Ukrainian family in Konstanz.  He thanked me profusely more than once, almost broke down, and began saying how frightened he is for his family back in 🇺🇦.  They are from Moscow.  It was just heart wrenching and it was all I could do to remain composed and hold back tears until I got into our apt.  The child was sweet looking and klingy with mama.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

There was no massacre or war crimes in Bucha and if there were it must have been the British who are well known for faking things for anti-Russian propaganda, look what they did in Salisbury with that nerve agent. :wacko:

"French President Emmanuel Macron warns against "an escalation of words" after US President Joe Biden accuses Russia of genocide in Ukraine"

Typically French...

19 hours ago, john g. said:

I can imagine it's mostly a generational thing like anywhere else in the world. Older people: " in the good old days."

Guilty here in some ways in that regard... " when I was young.."

When I were a lad...

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

There was no massacre or war crimes in Bucha and if there were it must have been the British who are well known for faking things for anti-Russian propaganda, look what they did in Salisbury with that nerve agent. :wacko:

Stories for the Russian press, but almost a comical article, in that someone could have written this and believed it. Soo far out of touch.

The question is how far up the chain of command does the decision to flatten a city actually go?

Clearly Putin must be aware of the tactics and his explicit approval, or tacit approval by lack of orders not to do such things, puts him clearly responsible for the civilian deaths.

Now he may view this simply as unfortunate casualties of war, as Russian troops otherwise have to fight street to street with incredible losses.

The decision to flatten a city with artillery likely has the same rationale that was applied at the end of the Japanese war with the use of atomic bombs.

The question of what happens to a civilian population under occupation is likely not down to Putin, but the commanders on the ground.

Given what came out of Bucha, to the Russian population, he can ill afford the shame this would bring, so claims it's all fake.

Internally the question is, are the FSB and/or the military chain of command acknowledging what happened or in denial.

From the Ukrainian point of view, if I was there and had to stay, I would take the view, die fighting or die later.

So if anything I think the issue serves to show there is little point in surrender. Either fight to the death or get out of there.

One test will be what happens to the soldiers who surrendered in Mariupol today 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-tells-russia-return-prisoners-if-you-want-top-ally-back-2022-04-12/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60894476

Buts not really the choice they have

No supplies have been going in to   Mariupol  for weeks now, they just do not have any ammo left and very little food and water either, eventually they have to surrender, sure and maybe gunned down or stave  to death, which is really shit choice that they have

This is where we stand in the post-truth world:

FQPEdaQaQAMYPS2.jpg.0d91bcb2f0beb675a717

This does not necesserily correlate with what the countries factually do: Turkey and the US are the main weapon suppliers of Ukraine, Germany finances Russian military and up to now refused to supply any weapons, France is appeasing Putin. 

23 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

France is appeasing Putin. 

I feel sorry for the French people (never thought I´d say that) in you have 1 of their Presidential candidates who is a Russian supporter and the other candidate is having to trot out the appeasement lines to Russia to win votes back off of the other candidate.There are many other problems with Macron but nobody thought appeasement to Russia is one.

Whichever way it goes France appears to be fucked.

47 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

FQQsX1lXIAI-Dx-.jpeg.jpg

The general public and the media need to know though what sort of vehicles etc to send not just ask for new shiny things to send.

There are many logistical reasons that you cannot send Marders or F-16s etc to Ukraine.

During the SWW it was estimated that for every German actually fighting it required 8 people backing him up in regards to logistics etc and nowadays that is usually more.

If for example you send a Marder to the Ukrainians then they first of all need to be trained how to operate it.Then they need to be trained how to maintain it plus have the parts to maintain it.

If Germany was to send Marders or somesuch to Ukraine they wouldn´t be seen on the battlefield for a couple of months.

Same with any modern day Western fighter aircraft.The Ukraine Air Force flies planes that use hydraulic control yet most modern Western ones use fly by wire so you would run into the same problems with them.

We´ve seen quite often that Russians are abandoning their BTRs or rocket systems.That´s not because the people manning them have deserted it´s because they´ve broken down or run out of munitions or fuel and they haven´t got the replacement part or even people to repair them.

You could in the worst case scenario end up sending stuff to Ukraine and them ending up in the hands of the Russians through no fault of the Ukrainians.

Germany needs to send Ukraine the basics such as hand held weapons.The NLAWs that the UK have sent to Ukraine are a great success because they´re very easy to use (in comparison to others in the same class) and require next to no maintenance.

You cannot turn a modern army into an ultra modern army overnight.