The War in Ukraine

3,100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

What is up with this far left Irish MEP? Is she singlehandedly trying to prove horseshoe theory?

 

 

 

The tips of the wings meet as leftist extremism allies with power politics, authoritarian fascism.

 

She should keep her personal opinions to herself...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeba said:

That´s easy to diagnose: a bout of common sense.

You´re worse than I thought.

Not only do you want a country that is being invaded to capitulate instantly thus giving the invader exactly what they want but you also want the invader to receive no punishment at all.

 

Someone ask Jeba how they would stop a tyrant such as Putin from taking over the world?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

What in the hell do they hope to accomplish?

 

Pretty stupid, in my opinion. These demonstrations in several German cities of late will only serve to alienate the rest of the populace even more against them - especially when you listen to what they say when interviewed. I wonder whether there are similar demonstrations by Russians in other countries. 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bramble said:

 

Pretty stupid, in my opinion. These demonstrations in several German cities of late will only serve to alienate the rest of the populace even more against them - especially when you listen to what they say when interviewed. I wonder whether there are similar demonstrations by Russians in other countries. 

 

 

 

There have been some pro-russian demonstrations in Ireland too  https://www.joe.ie/news/pro-russia-demonstration-dublin-746060

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HEM said:

 

Well there are enough Brits who only read UK newspapers & listen to UK radio / watch UK TV.

Similar is likely for other nationalities who stick to their original source of news & entertainment.

A mate of mine has been here for over 20 years and is only beginning to speak Crapdeutsch (thank you! @kiplette). He has always been on short term contracts (2-3 years) so never felt the need to assimilate. It was years before he eventually relented and got curtains! 
I know several others who are non-white, some speak good German, others not so, and I sometimes hear them say they don’t want to get better at the language because they often feel discriminated against and so don’t want to learn the language of the “enemy”. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, French bean said:

The only non former Soviet republic with more than Germany is the US and I suspect there are not many fans of Putin or the old USSR amongst them.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_diaspora

Note that as stated in the article many Ukrainian, Belarusian, Russian speaking Jewish and German, Georgian, Azerbaijani, Armenian, and Rusyn Americans identify as part of the Russian diaspora in the US.  The definition used is speaking Russian as a native language, which 1.5M people in NY do, whether they came over from Russia or not.  It’s quite complicated.  We know ethnic Germans here, as I am married to one (Serbia), who speak Russian, not German.  (Russia forbade them to speak German whereas other EE places didn’t).  And amongst that group there exists a generational divide regarding support for Putin.  I would suspect we have some of that going on in the US too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Note that as stated in the article many Ukrainian, Belarusian, Russian speaking Jewish and German, Georgian, Azerbaijani, Armenian, and Rusyn Americans identify as part of the Russian diaspora in the US.  The definition used is speaking Russian as a native language, which 1.5M people in NY do, whether they came over from Russia or not.  It’s quite complicated.  We know ethnic Germans here, as I am married to one (Serbia), who speak Russian, not German.  (Russia forbade them to speak German whereas other EE places didn’t).  And amongst that group there exists a generational divide regarding support for Putin.  I would suspect we have some of that going on in the US too.

But the national language of Ukraine is Ukrainian, not Russian not sure about the rest of them.Yes, many of those countries' native language was Russian but only because they were in the Soviet Union and long before that Russian wasn´t their native language. Try telling a Scot that they´re English because English is their native language.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Try telling a Scot that they´re English because English is their native language.

 

Er, I really wouldn t.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61066503

Russia has warned Finland and Sweden against joining Nato, arguing the move would not bring stability to Europe.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that "the alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation".

It comes as US defence officials said Moscow's invasion of Ukraine has been a "massive strategic blunder" which is likely to bring Nato enlargement.

US officials expect the Nordic neighbours to bid for membership of the alliance, potentially as early as June.

 

As if Putin's invasion hasn't already brought about instability and confrontation, just who the hell does he think he is?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

A mate of mine has been here for over 20 years and is only beginning to speak Crapdeutsch (thank you! @kiplette). He has always been on short term contracts (2-3 years) so never felt the need to assimilate. It was years before he eventually relented and got curtains! 
I know several others who are non-white, some speak good German, others not so, and I sometimes hear them say they don’t want to get better at the language because they often feel discriminated against and so don’t want to learn the language of the “enemy”. 

Personal opinion here but I think it is unacceptable to not learn the language of the country you live in. I´m sure most Germans would rather have someone speak to them in Crapdeutsch than not have any German at all.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Personal opinion here but I think it is unacceptable to not learn the language of the country you live in. I´m sure most Germans would rather have someone speak to them in Crapdeutsch than not have any German at all.

 

 

I agree. People who aren't willing to learn the language of the host country are willingly segregating themselves and then they unfairly accuse the host population of discrimantion. Nobody really expects a foreigner to speak perfect German, but the effort is mostly appreciated. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bramble said:

,

I agree. People who aren't willing to learn the language of the host country are willingly segregating themselves and then they unfairly accuse the host population of discrimantion.

Not necessarily, I´m living in Cyprus and don´t feel the need to learn Greek as almost everybody speaks English. Even most government websites are available in English and you can communicate with authorities in English, including filing your tax return. Neither do I feel discriminated against, nor am I accusing anybody of doing so. Of course, I would'nt describe myself as being integrated, but there is no need for that either. Cypriots are friendly enough, even to pesky foreigners.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now