The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, French bean said:

They're obviously from the group in Germany that only get their news from Russian TV.

How can that be possible in Germany?

22 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Use a VPN and read on the internet what Russia is saying or even TV, I would guess.

Russians who want to listen to the BBC or CNN etc do the same to get around the those channels being blocked in Russia. In a recent speech BJ, urged Russians to do, so they can get the truth about the war.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

He already turned that around like Goebbels couldn´t have done it better by claiming that this is the sacrifice they have to make in order to save fellow Russians from genocide in Eastern Ukraine. Just look at the numbers:  Russia is exporting 4.7 million barrels of oil/day. Assuming a discount of 20% for selling it to "friendly" nations only (i.e. $80/barrel) this makes for about 4,7 million * $80 = $ 376 million/day. And that´s ignoring any other exports like fertilizer, wood, minerals, copper, iron, gas to China, gold, silver... The loss from exporting gas to Europe  wouldn´t move the needle sufficiently to make him run out of funds for his war. You´d be shivering in vain (and so would Ukrainians, who also depend on Russian gas).

Cut off Russia's sale of Oil and Gas (40% of their GDP)

Petition · Cut off Russia's sale of Oil and Gas (40% of their GDP) · Change.org

Sure its not 100 %, but its quite alot

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Many Russians in 🇩🇪 only consume Russian media and only socialize with other such Russians, many of whom speak little to no German. I suppose they use a VPN.  My Armenian DIL has a cousin here married to a Russian woman whose parents are this type.  She told me “My parents have never integrated and they live in a bubble.”  They’ve been here over 25 years!  She handles their bureaucratic tasks for them.  They moved to 🇩🇪 when she was 12.

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Well there are enough Brits who only read UK newspapers & listen to UK radio / watch UK TV.

Similar is likely for other nationalities who stick to their original source of news & entertainment.

and you?)

38 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Cut off Russia's sale of Oil and Gas (40% of their GDP)

What part of "you can only cut off the part of gas that goes to Europe, but not the oil they sell to the rest of the world nor the gas they sell to China" do these people not understand?

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

How often have we had posters on here not wanting to pay the GEZ because they never watch German TV or listen to German radio.  Also, I know many people living here from the UK and Ireland who watch mostly British TV or stream.  I suspect Russians that live here are exactly the same, they watch what's familiar to them, and believe it.  Putin has done well for them over the last 20 odd years, why would they think he's not doing the same now.  This is a tough situation to deal with, a bit like Germany in 1933.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Well there are enough Brits who only read UK newspapers & listen to UK radio / watch UK TV.

Similar is likely for other nationalities who stick to their original source of news & entertainment.

Exactly! Most people are not pundits on world affairs and speak various languages. Birds of a feather.

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

How often have we had posters on here not wanting to pay the GEZ because they never watch German TV or listen to German radio.  Also, I know many people living here from the UK and Ireland who watch mostly British TV or stream.  I suspect Russians that live here are exactly the same, they watch what's familiar to them, and believe it.  Putin has done well for them over the last 20 odd years, why would they think he's not doing the same now.  This is a tough situation to deal with, a bit like Germany in 1933.

Exactly! And 1933 etc was even less limited in choice.. less TV, wireless, less internet. The youngsters probably know more about what is going on than the older generation, no doubt.

13 minutes ago, Tap said:

Also, I know many people living here from the UK and Ireland who watch mostly British TV or stream.  I suspect Russians that live here are exactly the same, they watch what's familiar to them, and believe it. 

Went to a funeral on Thursday, and the two ladies (daughter of deceased and friend) I was chatting to have both been here 25 years or so and, I kid you not, couldn't read a basic breakfast menu or order breakfast in a bakery cafe in German. 

As in, not just totally CrapDeutsch but looking around for someone who can help because they just haven't a clue. They can't be watching German TV, or listening to the radio.

I can easily imagine Russians who are exactly the same. It is a bit frightening. The local paper did a piece on the Russian community in a local town who are massively pro-Putin.

I know Polish people who only watch Polish TV and Turkish peoiple who only watch Turkish TV so I am sure there are Russians who do the same.

After 60 years in France, my FIL still could barely speak a sentence. He was a highly intelligent bloke. He just never exposed himself to the langage.

10 hours ago, Tap said:

How often have we had posters on here not wanting to pay the GEZ because they never watch German TV or listen to German radio.  Also, I know many people living here from the UK and Ireland who watch mostly British TV or stream.  I suspect Russians that live here are exactly the same, they watch what's familiar to them, and believe it.  

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

Went to a funeral on Thursday, and the two ladies (daughter of deceased and friend) I was chatting to have both been here 25 years or so and, I kid you not, couldn't read a basic breakfast menu or order breakfast in a bakery cafe in German. 

As in, not just totally CrapDeutsch but looking around for someone who can help because they just haven't a clue. They can't be watching German TV, or listening to the radio.

I can easily imagine Russians who are exactly the same. It is a bit frightening. The local paper did a piece on the Russian community in a local town who are massively pro-Putin.

In this respect, it is a bit of a blessing to be a third party national and be forced to prove communicative competence through a test of functional German (and it is merely functional because it sure isn't beautiful). Even so, I had substantially acquired functional German after 4 years in Germany in which I had zero lessons. You have to (god help me because I do hate it so) speak to strangers and endure their eye-rolling.

What is up with this far left Irish MEP? Is she singlehandedly trying to prove horseshoe theory?

"History has taught us that sanctions do not end military conflict, they do not bring peace. They make the people suffer, not the oligarchs, the people. The people of Russia, the people of Europe, and they're not going to help save lives."

She added: "The more arms you pump into Ukraine, the more the war will be prolonged, the more Ukrainians will die. It might sound radical colleagues, but the answer to war is not more war, it's peace, and peace isn't delivered by the barrel of a gun, it's delivered by diplomacy, by dialogue.

"You can wish away your continent's history, but we share a continent with Russia, we will sit down with Russia, there will be a negotiated peace and this organisation should be promoting it earlier rather than delaying it and making sure more Ukrainians die. Your feigning of sympathy rings hollow, it makes me sick to be honest with you."

The tips of the wings meet as leftist extremism allies with power politics, authoritarian fascism.

29 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

What is up with this far left Irish MEP? Is she singlehandedly trying to prove horseshoe theory?

The tips of the wings meet as leftist extremism allies with power politics, authoritarian fascism.

So mis guided, the fact that this woman is allowed so say these things is down to the fact that the world stood up to Hitler and defeated him and his army in the 1940's. When will people learn that sometimes you have to fight or you will be under the control of a dictator until he dies even then the dictatorship will probably continue under a different name.

Sure buying in gas from around the world is not a good place to be, but we almost have to buy it at the moment, lets use this time to go for more Nuclear and more renewable.

12 minutes ago, yesterday said:

So mis guided, the fact that this woman is allowed so say these things is down to the fact that the world stood up to Hitler and defeated him and his army in the 1940's.

That took 6 years, though. Because initially "common sense" by jeba was the majority opinion. It took Hitler to take over France, Poland, Ukraine, and Russia all the way to Stalingrad. Only then did something started gradually change. 

A former professor of mine (of blessed memory) graduated from secret Krakow University during Nazi occupation. The Poles surrendered without resistance (as suggested by jeba common sense), the universities were banned, many professors were sent to the KZs. But a secret university was in operation. 

Never in my life I could imagine I would see history repeating itself. The Russians have bombed Kharkiv University. I am now 100% sure they will ban it if they take over the city. They won't, though. 

Also, the only politician in Germany with common sense for now is Toni Hofreiter. Who could have thought? Unfortunately, he is a minority within the Greens. 

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

What in the hell do they hope to accomplish?

Maybe they have a death wish...