The War in Ukraine

3,067 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

You need to be registered in Germany to open a German account.   AFAIK.

No, you don`t.

A rare voice of reason: https://www.n-tv.de/ratgeber/Wem-schaden-die-Sanktionen-wirklich-article23248534.html

deepl-translation:

Comfort renunciation instead of blood money - many journalists, economists and activists are calling on the government to stop buying Russian raw materials. Gas and oil in particular should be boycotted immediately, otherwise we will be complicit in the war in Ukraine. This all sounds fine, but it is just another example of the activism that is so popular in this country. With these demands, one shows the right attitude, can make speeches and brand other opinions as inhuman...
Lottery win for the countries not involved

The real problem with the sanctions is not that they are too weak. The problem is that China rejects the sanctions and does not participate. India, Pakistan, actually almost all of Southeast Asia and also the Middle East uniformly reject them, even Israel. The same picture in Africa and Latin America - when looked at in the light, it is not Russia that has isolated itself internationally through the war of aggression, but the countries involved in the sanctions.

7 hours ago, Keleth said:

Someone who Thatcher supported and considered a friend.

Surprise fucking surprise.

Chile had its own issues with Argentina at the time Galtieri sent the conscripts to Port Stanley. 

The original Galtieri  plan was to fight Chile over disputed Patagonian territory and proper troops were supposed to fight Chilean troops but military intelligence suggested Chilean forced outnumbered Argentina's. 

So Galtieri changed his mind. I knew ( later in life ) the Honduran Ambassador to the UK  who told me he had been with Galtieri the night before Galtieri issued his orders and that he was either drunk or stoned out of his mind.

Why, by the way , was the Honduran Ambassador with Galtieri? To buy military stuff to sort out the guerrilleros in Honduras. 

I personally was at the bus station in Rio to buy a bus ticket to Buenos Aires and bought a newspaper.. headlines " Guerra nas Malvinas."

So I couldn't enter Argentina but stopped my trip in Uruguay and my Argentine friends took the ferry to Uruguay for a meet up after a few years' absence...

40 years ago this week...

48 years ago, I lived on the Falklands/ Malvinas for a few months. I was the official interpreter during the building of a new airport- joint venture between the British and Argentine Governments. There had been a balls up! None of the British engineers could speak Spanish and none of the Argentine ( and Chilean ) engineers could speak English! Long story but I got the job! Tax free, pounds sterling! When I left, 5 months in Patagonia with my rucksack and I was able to pay bills in restaurants!😂

I met a man there  ( Port Stanley ) whose auntie lived around the corner from where I grew up in Southend on Sea! I had been her paper boy! Daily Express, I think!😂

40 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, you don`t.

As far as I know, if you're not an EU citizen, you have to be registered in Germany and have a residence permit. But I might be wrong. In fact, so wrong I think you might even need to be registered in Germany even as an EU citizen to open a bank account. But it's been over thirty years since I opened a bank account here.

I remember it well- I was new and walked into Haspa to ask for advice. The first thing they wanted was my Ausweis! BEFORE a consultation with their employee!!!

6 hours ago, scook17 said:

Yet this protest aimed at highlighting racism is deliberately twisted into a shown as a pro-russian war rally in order to generate some interesting headlines and ignore the issue being highlighted, or was simply not reported at all.

I agree with your sentiment that the highlighting discrimination aspect of the rally wasn’t sufficiently well reported on (I wouldn’t call it racism, I don’t think). However, in light of the suffering and casualties caused by the war started by Putin, I think the participants of the rally were at best tone deaf. Perhaps they could have been clearer in their message “We are Russians against the war! So don’t lump us in with that loon!”

I found this Spiegel video about the rally. I can’t tell if it was edited for a particular narrative or not, so make of it what you will.

6 minutes ago, Boggsdollocks said:

I agree with your sentiment that the highlighting discrimination aspect of the rally wasn’t sufficiently well reported on (I wouldn’t call it racism, I don’t think). However, in light of the suffering and casualties caused by the war started by Putin, I think the participants of the rally were at best tone deaf. Perhaps they could have been clearer in their message “We are Russians against the war! So don’t lump us in with that loon!”

I found this Spiegel video about the rally. I can’t tell if it was edited for a particular narrative or not, so make of it what you will.

To me it looks as if the rally was hijacked by a majority of pro Putin supporters. It's disgusting. Some of the demonstrators were obviously very distressed by this. 

5 hours ago, john g. said:

In fact, so wrong I think you might even need to be registered in Germany even as an EU citizen to open a bank account.

My sister (German citizen) could open an account with DKB even though she had left  Germany 20 years before (and was deregistered). They asked what she needed it for (to receive rental income), but that was all.

6 hours ago, john g. said:

As far as I know, if you're not an EU citizen, you have to be registered in Germany and have a residence permit. But I might be wrong. In fact, so wrong I think you might even need to be registered in Germany even as an EU citizen to open a bank account. But it's been over thirty years since I opened a bank account here.

My husband had no trouble opening an N26 account in Germany while visiting in 2018, in preparation for the future move in 2019.  After we had residence permits we went to open a Sparkasse account and they didn’t care to see the permits. Said they have many non-resident American account holders and only needed our US passports and social security numbers.  The bank employee was shocked that we recited the SS numbers by memory, which most of us can.  😂  

5 hours ago, jeba said:

My sister (German citizen) could open an account with DKB even though she had left  Germany 20 years before (and was deregistered). They asked what she needed it for (to receive rental income), but that was all.

Well, she is German, we are talking about foreigners here.   It is extremely difficult to open an account without Anmeldung. 

https://www.auswandern-handbuch.de/girokonto-ohne-wohnsitz-deutschland/

PS. And something you might not know, some banks discriminate certain nationalities, even if you live in Germany they won't let you open an account with them.

Yes.  Both at the Bürgerbüro here and the Bodensee Sparkasse we have received favorable treatment as US citizens. Makes me feel uncomfortable although I got what I needed.  Still, no one should pretend it’s not there.

Had no idea the EU paid 1 billion euros per day to Russia for energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/06/1bn-for-ukraine-35bn-for-russian-energy-eu-chief-calls-out-funding-gap

Makes you wonder, given the vast sums, why you could not build solar and wind farms at a huge rate, effectively for free.

Even if Europe had a plan which said spend one of those billions per month, every month, on solar/wind, it would still take 2.5 years to wind down this huge import cost.

Politicians have been sitting on their hands for far too long it seems.

19 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Had no idea the EU paid 1 billion euros per day to Russia for energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/06/1bn-for-ukraine-35bn-for-russian-energy-eu-chief-calls-out-funding-gap

Makes you wonder, given the vast sums, why you could not build solar and wind farms at a huge rate, effectively for free.

Even if Europe had a plan which said spend one of those billions per month, every month, on solar/wind, it would still take 2.5 years to wind down this huge import cost.

Politicians have been sitting on their hands for far too long it seems.

But its not that easy ...

Just think of all the houses and flats around in Germany that run on Gas, each one has to replace the Gas heater with something ( heat pump ), that will produce the heat required, thats not an easy task, even if you say each new house/flat has to run off NOT oil or GAS, its going to take a long time to filter through. So you have to look at forcing old houses/flats to exchange. Which a lot of people will be un happy with.

Again factories will have to swap away from their Gas boilers, this will take decades

Even if we start now, its going to take many decades to convert all, in way that does not leave some people without heating for a while or businesses without heating or power. 

And again, we are going to build and install a huge extra number of windmills and solar panels, maybe after you finish installing the solar panels will find another method of producing solar panels is discovered, meaning you need to upgrade again.

Dont get me wrong, I want all of this to happen mostly for environment reasons but also to reduce our dependence on Russia and other un stable country's.

Its cheaper to use Wind and solar than Gas at the moment 

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-security-strategy-how-would-moving-to-renewables-save-us-money-on-fuel-bills-12579135

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

Well, she is German, we are talking about foreigners here.   It is extremely difficult to open an account without Anmeldung. 

Long ago, went to see Peter Ustinov in his one man / standup show.

He reported, that to get a German bank account, involved him even having to take a sh*t...

Anmeldung (using hotel address) only after polizeiliches Führungszeugnis.

They also wanted a medical as he was over 50 at the time.

This needed blood, urine and stool sample...

He took around 15 minutes to get to the punchline.

Wish I could find a youtube of it...

Anyroad up
Back on topic

:huh:

20 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Makes you wonder, given the vast sums, why you could not build solar and wind farms at a huge rate

Because before you can apply for a permit, you first need to have an environmental impact study to rule out that some toads may be inconvenienced.

When I first arrived in Germany, I went to the local bank, opened an account, and said can I get loan until my first pay check arrives. they said NO, in a blunt way. They would not give me a bank card until I had got paid, but still no loan.

Found out later, that an English guy had opened an account with the bank, borrowed 20000 DM, and left the country the next day.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

When I first arrived in Germany, I went to the local bank, opened an account, and said can I get loan until my first pay check arrives. they said NO, in a blunt way. They would not give me a bank card until I had got paid, but still no loan.

You were lucky.

I applied for an account with the Volksbank here after a couple of months here and only wanted it because I´d just got a job and until then we´d been using the wifes account,which although she was away from Germany for damn near 20 years she had no problem getting and they even offered her a dispo.

They said yes I could have an account which would only become active when the first lohn was paid in.But I would not get an EC card until after the 2nd lohn went in and until then I would physically have to go to the bank and withdraw money over the counter if I wanted it.

So basically told them to fuck off and went to kreisparkasse who gave me an account and got an EC just over a week later.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

When I first arrived in Germany, I went to the local bank, opened an account, and said can I get loan until my first pay check arrives. they said NO, in a blunt way.

Normally, you would ask your employer for an advance payment, which can then be deducted from your salary at once or partially spread over some months.

I came in 2005 to Germany. Showed the bank my contract with a triple AAA company (did not start yet) and received the bank card and credit card in the next few days. No issues.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Normally, you would ask your employer for an advance payment, which can then be deducted from your salary at once or partially spread over some months.

I came in 2005 to Germany. Showed the bank my contract with a triple AAA company (did not start yet) and received the bank card and credit card in the next few days. No issues.

In 1989 things were different in Germany ...

I got used to paying for everything with the debt card in the UK, it worked just fine.

I drove to Munich, in 1989, the card would work to buy petrol on the Autobahn, but almost no where else, no Gas stations in towns

I went to buy everything I needed from one of the big sports shops in Munich, went down stairs to pay, they would not accept any of my cards, without me showing my passport ( and taking a pic of it ), I could not pay at restaurants or for food without cash.

One car I bought they insisted I took 30,000 DM in cash or they would not let me have it, that took some organising  ...

Things are thankfully very different now, but Germany has always seemed slow with technology, I heard that even today, alot of companies still prefer the use use a FAX machine rather than email etc  

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-four-out-of-10-companies-still-use-fax-machines/av-58219722

I end up transferring money from the UK  to Germany, in the initial weeks, because my company would lend me money but wanted quite a high interest rate for the loan, if I remember right