The War in Ukraine

3,071 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, French bean said:

The league of Nations was gutless and toothless and WW2 had started by the time the Russians attacked Finland and so no one was really taking heed of it.

So is the UN. 

 

I was skeptical when many Africans said that the UN and the International Criminal Court only persecute black people, so these must be just another colonization tool. 

 

I was wrong, they were right.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I was skeptical when many Africans said that the UN and the International Criminal Court only persecute black people

 

I didn't know Slobodan Milosevic was a black man.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

 

I didn't know Slobodan Milosevic was a black man.

 

They do indeed tend to be able to prosecute leaders of smaller, weaker, poorer states. These have tended to be in Africa.

 

Anyway, here's an article about another town the Russians left. There are a few examples of Ukrainians talking to relatives and friends in Russia who are adamant that the outside news is fake, and even if the invasion isn't great, it's because the Ukrainians brought it upon themselves.

 

‘Barbarians’: Russian troops leave grisly mark on town of Trostianets | Ukraine | The Guardian

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Verbot der Ausstrahlung in Deutschland
Anfang Februar 2022 teilte die Kommission für Zulassung und Aufsicht der Landesmedienanstalten (ZAK) mit, dass „Veranstaltung und Verbreitung des Fernsehprogramms RT DE“ in Deutschland untersagt worden sei, da keine medienrechtliche Zulassung vorliege.

 

Thanks that is good to know, though I bet they can still get it via some P2P website same as I can get Test Cricket. Of course that also works 2 ways so I would guess that if anybody  in Russia is interested they should be able to view western media over the internet anonymously if they really wanted to!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

 

They do indeed tend to be able to prosecute leaders of smaller, weaker, poorer states. These have tended to be in Africa.

 

They even failed to prosecute Augusto Pinochet and released him for "health reasons".  So at the end Chile had to change their Constitution to be able to prosecute him locally, however he died before a conviction was given.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

They even failed to prosecute Augusto Pinochet and released him for "health reasons".  So at the end Chile had to change their Constitution to be able to prosecute him locally, however he died before a conviction was given.

Pinochet wasn't black :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krieg said:

They even failed to prosecute Augusto Pinochet and released him for "health reasons". 

Someone who Thatcher supported and considered a friend.

Surprise fucking surprise.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Krieg said:

To be fair, some Russians living in Germany have received undeserved hate and ran into unfair problems.  My buddy is married to a Russian and she has being living in Berlin for 20+ years.  Her bank account was blocked just for being Russian, no time was provided to do anything.  And their teenager son's account was blocked as well because his mother is Russian.  The boy is German and born here.

Her German account was blocked or her Russian account she had in Germany was blocked?

I´ve not heard of anyone having a German account blocked "just for being Russian".

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Her German account was blocked or her Russian account she had in Germany was blocked?

I´ve not heard of anyone having a German account blocked "just for being Russian".

 

It has been happenning.  But it turns out if the person is either an EU citizen or a Russian with permission to live here, it should not affect them.  Some of this was done by the bank's in a panic.  And should be reversed as soon as you can prove these things.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Her German account was blocked or her Russian account she had in Germany was blocked?

I´ve not heard of anyone having a German account blocked "just for being Russian".

 

 

German account.

 

https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/kontensperrung-durch-banken-bei-russischen-staatsbuergern-198785.html#:~:text=Manche%20Kreditinstitute%20haben%20auch%20schon,Staatsb%C3%BCrger%20in%20bestimmten%20F%C3%A4llen%20verboten.

 

https://www.cicero.de/innenpolitik/sanktionen-gegen-russische-burger-die-situation-hat-mich-sehr-erschuttert

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

 

It has been happenning.  But it turns out if the person is either an EU citizen or a Russian with permission to live here, it should not affect them.  Some of this was done by the bank's in a panic.  And should be reversed as soon as you can prove these things.

 

You need to be registered in Germany to open a German account.   AFAIK.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, French bean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/05/motorcade-of-shame-outrage-over-pro-russia-displays-at-berlin-rally

Looks like it was a rally asking for the Russians in Berlin not to be persecuted but got hijacked. There have been reports that many Russians in Germany only watch Russian state broadcasts so really Germany needs to counter these broadcasts first amongst the Russian diaspora.

 

What a sad state of affairs in Germany, and biased reporting by the UK's Guardian.

Title: "Motorcade of shame’: outrage over pro-Russia displays at Berlin rally"

According to the article "Organised to draw attention to growing hostility towards Russians in Germany, but..."

And it's the "but" part which is then used to suggest the protest was in support of the war.

 

Turns out, according to the article, that "at least one" of the demonstrators in the 400 cars, decided to display the Z flag. Wholly inappropriate and they were removed by police.

I would assume 'at least one' would have said '10 or more' or similar wording if this had been commonplace.

The other, presumably around 399 cars had either no flag, various Russian and German flags. It's their nationality, so for me this is hardly surprising there are some flags.

Likely there were others who supported the war, but the vast majority of Russians who live in the west, see this as Putin's disaster for Russia.

Of course with any gathering, you get the ones who hold views which do not agree with the majority.

Anyone who is brave enough to protest back in Russia is thrown in prison, and the rest listen to the zombie TV, so for the most part don't believe what the rest of the world says.

 

Yet this protest aimed at highlighting racism is deliberately twisted into a shown as a pro-russian war rally in order to generate some interesting headlines and ignore the issue being highlighted, or was simply not reported at all.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Keleth said:

That example is the VTB Bank which is a Russian bank.

Which will be sanctioned today/tomorrow I believe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, scook17 said:

 

What a sad state of affairs in Germany, and biased reporting by the UK's Guardian.

Title: "Motorcade of shame’: outrage over pro-Russia displays at Berlin rally"

According to the article "Organised to draw attention to growing hostility towards Russians in Germany, but..."

And it's the "but" part which is then used to suggest the protest was in support of the war.

 

Turns out, according to the article, that "at least one" of the demonstrators in the 400 cars, decided to display the Z flag. Wholly inappropriate and they were removed by police.

I would assume 'at least one' would have said '10 or more' or similar wording if this had been commonplace.

The other, presumably around 399 cars had either no flag, various Russian and German flags. It's their nationality, so for me this is hardly surprising there are some flags.

Likely there were others who supported the war, but the vast majority of Russians who live in the west, see this as Putin's disaster for Russia.

Of course with any gathering, you get the ones who hold views which do not agree with the majority.

Anyone who is brave enough to protest back in Russia is thrown in prison, and the rest listen to the zombie TV, so for the most part don't believe what the rest of the world says.

 

Yet this protest aimed at highlighting racism is deliberately twisted into a shown as a pro-russian war rally in order to generate some interesting headlines and ignore the issue being highlighted, or was simply not reported at all.

Interesting article about the mixed feelings in Greece re Russia and Ukraine. Quite a few Greeks like Putin and Russia for historical reasons:

https://www.voanews.com/amp/in-greece-russia-sympathies-die-hard-despite-ukraine-war-/6481936.html

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krieg said:

 

You need to be registered in Germany to open a German account.   AFAIK.

I guess I should have added, and not a Putin oligarch.  Block first.  Then ask questions.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keleth said:

That example is the VTB Bank which is a Russian bank.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Nowhere in that article does it say VTB.

 

No, it was German banks, Deutsche Bank, Sparkassen, Postbank, that suddenly restricted the accounts of German residents who just had the bad luck to have a Russian passport, see here:

 

Edit: I see that @Krieg already told you that it was German banks and you still posted that. Why?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Yep sorry it was one of the link off of that page...

VTB Bank (Europe) - Wo ist mein Geld? Überweisungen kommen nicht an. (anwalt.de)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I was skeptical when many Africans said that the UN and the International Criminal Court only persecute black people, so these must be just another colonization tool. 

I think black should be replaced with poor then that´s about right.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone is located to the west of Munich (Fürstenfeldbruck). I dropped a bunch of stuff off to this place tonight which they needed:

https://www.brucker-helfen-der-ukraine.de/

 

Lots of volunteers sorting stuff ready for shipping to the distribution centre here or medicine etc onward to Ukraine.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now