The War in Ukraine

3,103 posts in this topic

To be fair, some Russians living in Germany have received undeserved hate and ran into unfair problems.  My buddy is married to a Russian and she has being living in Berlin for 20+ years.  Her bank account was blocked just for being Russian, no time was provided to do anything.  And their teenager son's account was blocked as well because his mother is Russian.  The boy is German and born here.

20 minutes ago, Krieg said:

To be fair, some Russians living in Germany have received undeserved hate and ran into unfair problems.  My buddy is married to a Russian and she has being living in Berlin for 20+ years.  Her bank account was blocked just for being Russian, no time was provided to do anything.  And their teenager son's account was blocked as well because his mother is Russian.  The boy is German and born here.

Of course they shouldn't block their account, but a lot of them are not that innocent. I have several russians in my company and either they avoid the topic or they are supporting Putin. It's time to put pressure on them, so they call their relatives in Russia and start changing things.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

There have been reports that many Russians in Germany only watch Russian state broadcasts so really Germany needs to counter these broadcasts first amongst the Russian diaspora.

Given that Russia is blocking or censoring all non state news, how come Germany is not blocking Russian broadcasts? I believe the Russian TV broadcaster in the UK has been closed down in response to Russia doing the same to the BBC, why not here?

30 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Of course they shouldn't block their account, but a lot of them are not that innocent. I have several russians in my company and either they avoid the topic or they are supporting Putin. It's time to put pressure on them, so they call their relatives in Russia and start changing things.

Dude, they are still likely as innocent or you and I. Just being supportive of him but having no real effect on the war doesn't make you guilty. There are non-Russians who are supportive, and their accounts are not being blocked. They can receive personal hate, fine, but having services blocked for being supportive civilians in a foreign country? We use Russian gas. Someone on my street drives a Lada. Come on.

44 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Who do you think is funding this War?

Germany and the EU to the tune of 800M euros per day.

31 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Given that Russia is blocking or censoring all non state news, how come Germany is not blocking Russian broadcasts? I believe the Russian TV broadcaster in the UK has been closed down in response to Russia doing the same to the BBC, why not here?

Verbot der Ausstrahlung in Deutschland
Anfang Februar 2022 teilte die Kommission für Zulassung und Aufsicht der Landesmedienanstalten (ZAK) mit, dass „Veranstaltung und Verbreitung des Fernsehprogramms RT DE“ in Deutschland untersagt worden sei, da keine medienrechtliche Zulassung vorliege. RT DE musste nach dieser Entscheidung die Ausstrahlung seines Fernsehprogramms über Live-Stream im Internet, über die eigene App und über einen weiteren Eutelsat-Satelliten einstellen.[54] RT hatte argumentiert, dass die Organisation TV-Novisti für RT DE im Dezember 2021 in Serbien eine Lizenz für die Kabel- und Satellitenübertragung erhalten habe und berief sich auf ein Übereinkommen des Europarats, das die freie Ausstrahlung grenzüberschreitender Fernsehprogramme vorsieht. Allerdings wiesen europäische Medienrechtler darauf hin, dass eine europaweite Ausstrahlung nach diesem Übereinkommen nur dann rechtlich zulässig sei, wenn sich auch der gesamte Sitz des Senders im Zulassungsland – in diesem Falle in Serbien – befände. De facto betreibe aber RT DE sein Redaktionsbüro in Berlin.[83] Am 9. Februar 2022 legte RT DE Berufung gegen die Entscheidung ein[84] und setzte sich über das Verbot hinweg, indem es auch nach der Erklärung weiter sendete.[10] Seit dem 3. März 2022 ist die ursprüngliche Website von RT DE nicht mehr uneingeschränkt erreichbar.[85]

Als Reaktion auf das Verbot erteilte die russische Regierung am Tag danach der Deutschen Welle (DW) in Russland ein Sendeverbot und annullierte allen DW-Mitarbeitern die Akkreditierungen. Anders als in Deutschland ist diese erforderlich, um in Russland als Journalist tätig zu sein. Des Weiteren drohte das russische Außenministerium damit, die Deutsche Welle auf die Liste der „Ausländischen Agenten“ zu setzen und Sanktionen einzuleiten gegen „Vertreter deutscher staatlicher und öffentlicher Strukturen, die an der Einschränkung der Ausstrahlung von RT beteiligt“ waren.[86]

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(Fernsehsender)#Verbot_der_Ausstrahlung_in_Deutschland

11 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Dude, they are still likely as innocent or you and I. Just being supportive of him but having no real effect on the war doesn't make you guilty. There are non-Russians who are supportive, and their accounts are not being blocked. They can receive personal hate, fine, but having services blocked for being supportive civilians in a foreign country? We use Russian gas. Someone on my street drives a Lada. Come on.

They can have real effect. Tell their families back in Russia how it's really like!

I've seen Facebook posts from Russian friends describing how they try to convey the truth to family back home, only to be told in no uncertain terms that they are mistaken, that Putin is correct to target the Nazis in Ukraine etc. etc. It's going to be very difficult getting through to a population that has been fed propaganda for so long. The Germans didn't believe they were in the wrong either. Even after the war many didn't accept their guilt.

16 hours ago, Keleth said:

I find it strange that when Putin wanted Crimea he went in and took only Crimea.

Yet this time certain posters on here say Putin only wants Donbas but have no explanation for why he tried to take the rest of Ukraine.

Can anyone who is half-intelligent enlighten me as to why he would go about it as he has done as he could have quite easily overpowered Donbas before the Ukrainians could put up much resistance.

He wants all of Ukraine, he just can't take it. He wanted all of Ukraine all the time, but his economic advisors said in 2014 that the price would be too high. He listened. 

Now he did not listen to anyone. It seems he sees that his time is running out, so he decided to do this anyway. 

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

She had time to revoke her Russian citizenship and apply for the German one. A colleague of mine did it in 2014 (after 8 years in Germany): he saw fascism coming, he said his friends in Russia became zombies. 

Nothing unfair here: you are "not interested in politics" = you pay the price. This is a very moderate price for what Russians do in Ukraine. Germany could have her deported, for example. 

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

She had time to revoke her Russian citizenship and apply for the German one. A colleague of mine did it in 2014 (after 8 years in Germany): he saw fascism coming, he said his friends in Russia became zombies. 

Nothing unfair here: you are "not interested in politics" = you pay the price. This is a very moderate price for what Russians do in Ukraine. Germany could have her deported, for example. 

What kind of fascism is this?

3 minutes ago, kiplette said:

He is an extremist.

Or he's mega pissed off that his country has been invaded and his countrymen are being killed.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

What kind of fascism is this?

Classic textbook fascism, as invented in Italy. 

47 minutes ago, john g. said:

Timely reminder of how disgusting war is: the siege of Sarajevo remembered thirty years on this week.  (And forty years ago this  week , by the way , Galtieri sent his conscripts to the Falklands/Malvinas )

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60983643

The most disgusting is not the war, but the apologists, those who think "as soon as the rockets do not hit my house, I do not care". 

These ones are disgusting:

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

He is an extremist. 

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I've seen Facebook posts from Russian friends describing how they try to convey the truth to family back home, only to be told in no uncertain terms that they are mistaken, that Putin is correct to target the Nazis in Ukraine etc. etc. It's going to be very difficult getting through to a population that has been fed propaganda for so long.

Like trying to talk to people who still believe that Trump won the election, Querdenker, etc.

I wonder how much longer the Russian Ambassador to the UN can sit there and deny what's going on let alone peddle the lies that the Ukrainians are fabricating evidence. Just look at his posture during the meeting of the Security Council yesterday. He must surely know from the evidence coming from so any different sources what's going on. Does he have the guts to resign I wonder.

26 minutes ago, French bean said:

I wonder how much longer the Russian Ambassador to the UN can sit there and deny what's going on let alone peddle the lies that the Ukrainians are fabricating evidence. Just look at his posture during the meeting of the Security Council yesterday. He must surely know from the evidence coming from so any different sources what's going on. Does he have the guts to resign I wonder.

Nebenzya knows what's real and what's not. He's got no qualms. Putin's kept him on since the beginning, and he was deputy foreign minister before this. He's benefited greatly from the money, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

They can have real effect. Tell their families back in Russia how it's really like!

I agree they could change a few minds, though in many cases, like murphaph mentioned, they'll be ignored and accused of being simpletons influenced by liberal media. But my main point is they still have a right to an opinion, however, distasteful, so unless they're super rich and financially tied to big dirty Russian money or represent Russia in an oficial capacity, you can ridicule them, but you can't really persecute them. I even think it's unfair for amateur athletes and musicians to be banned from participating (even though many of them do support Poo-tin).

25 minutes ago, French bean said:

Does he have the guts to resign I wonder.

Why? He is doing his job very well: Russia is still a UN and Security Council member. 

For comparison: USSR was kicked out of the League of Nations one month after the invasion of Finland. 

The league of Nations was gutless and toothless and WW2 had started by the time the Russians attacked Finland and so no one was really taking heed of it.