The War in Ukraine

2,654 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Hungary election: Viktor Orban's victory hailed by Putin

Anyone know what’s really happening in Hungary? Is the population pro Putin too?

This is probably part of the reason:

The 58-year-old Orban skilfully exploited the concerns of Hungarians in view of the war in Ukraine. The prime minister used the opposition's criticism of his loyalty to warlord Vladimir Putin to counterattack: he accused his opponents of wanting to drag the country into the conflict, while he was the only guarantor of peace.

The total dependence on Russian gas that he had pushed for over the last decade became an argument for re-election, and a less submissive attitude towards Moscow became a threat to the country's national security and energy supply.

He thus killed two birds with one stone: he reassured the population, already unsettled by the price hikes of recent months, and positioned himself for the future, assuming that the EU would soften its tough stance towards Moscow in the longer term. Hungary would be waiting in the wings as a loyal partner to take advantage of the opportunities that would arise.

deepl-translation from: https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/international/parlamentswahl-orban-gewinnt-wahl-in-ungarn-unseren-sieg-kann-man-von-bruessel-aus-sehen/28224836.html

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

These are brutal animals we are dealing with here.

9 hours ago, French bean said:

A bunch of thugs led by a thug.

11 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Russian "soldiers" are nothing more than criminal scum

It´s shocking to see how you´re painting all with the same brush. That´s borderline hate speech.

lol, hate speech against murdering thugs. I better not criticise the SS either, eh Jeba? I'm sure there was one or two good apples in it!

You know Jeba, there a lot of incidences when people decided to appease or placate the Thugs. They thought they could work with them or not do anything to antagonise, that they would be able to get on with their own lives. Many Jews would be subservient to Nazis hoping they would survive only to be killed later. History has shown time and again the best action is to stand up early, not to do so leads to far more destruction and loss of life. Placating and trying to talk to Putin is seen by him as a sign of weakness. There are plenty of interviews with those that have worked with him as well as those who have criticised him to provide enough evidence of that. The young soldiers fighting in the Ukraine have only known Putin as their leader, they have only seen strong controlling leadership and the removal of those that stand in the way. Those that carried out these abhorrent acts wouldn't have your education or awareness, they only know one thing and that is to do well in Putin's Russia you have to be strong and callous.

16 hours ago, optimista said:

So now we have atrocities. How will NATO be able to stand by and not intervene ?

Yugloslavia... Afghanistan... Iraq... regime change.

Because in those conflicts the intervening side had more gun/weapons and could basically flatten the other side with very little threat to a bad outcome in the home country.

If they started hanging people in the streets, I'd be very surprised in Nato decided to actually intervene.

I think Putin has decided he can't win a war over such a large front, and will now take Donabas/Lugansk and create a buffer zone to Ukraine. Then sue for peace, still thinking he was right. Hopefully he will die off naturally before another 10 years passes and the military of Russia is rebuilt and round three kicks off.

2 hours ago, scook17 said:

Hopefully he will die off naturally ...

It could be a long wait... ;)

I saw an interview with a Bucha local by the BBC. He said the Russians had actually behaved quite 'normally' until a few days before they withdrew. So, the killings, on the face of it, seem to have been a sort of 'fuck you' before they were basically forced to leave.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I saw an interview with a Bucha local by the BBC. He said the Russians had actually behaved quite 'normally' until a few days before they withdrew. So, the killings, on the face of it, seem to have been a sort of 'fuck you' before they were basically forced to leave.

It's a policy change on the highest level. 

A Kremlin paper justifies erasing the Ukrainian identity, as Russia is accused of war crimes

Written by Timofei Sergeitsev in RIA Novosti, the rhetoric in the editorial — entitled "What Russia should do in Ukraine" — is inflammatory, even by the usual Russian state media standards.

It claims the word "Ukraine" itself is synonymous with Nazism and cannot be allowed to exist.    

"Denazification is inevitably also De-Ukrainianization,"  Sergeitsev writes, stating that the idea of Ukrainian culture and identity is fake.

A prominent scholar whose career has been spent studying historical genocide said he felt sickened by reading the article — but he was also convinced that the Kremlin is using it to justify atrocities in Ukraine to the Russian people and the military.

If you can read Russian, this is the original article:

https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

It basically accuses all Ukrainians to be Nazis, and that everyone should be "denazified". 

It is a very clear declaration of intent, but the Germans will fund the Russian war up until the end, up until its defeat. And then, 2 days before Russia surrenders they will stop buyin Russian gas and oil to claim "we have never ever supported this". 

5 hours ago, optimista said:

It could be a long wait... ;)

1962, so 69 this year. Not going to be there at 79 IMHO.

8 hours ago, scook17 said:

I think Putin has decided he can't win a war over such a large front, and will now take Donabas/Lugansk and create a buffer zone to Ukraine.

I find it strange that when Putin wanted Crimea he went in and took only Crimea.

Yet this time certain posters on here say Putin only wants Donbas but have no explanation for why he tried to take the rest of Ukraine.

Can anyone who is half-intelligent enlighten me as to why he would go about it as he has done as he could have quite easily overpowered Donbas before the Ukrainians could put up much resistance.

33 minutes ago, scook17 said:

1962, so 69 this year. Not going to be there at 79 IMHO.

I think your maths is 10 years off there, either that or he has been lying about his age as well.:)

41 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I think your maths is 10 years off there, either that or he has been lying about his age as well.:)

ROFL. Typo. Yes 1952, not 1962.

In October 2022, he will be 70, which curiously is 10 years younger than Biden.

Reminds me of that old soviet time where every few years the soviet union seemed to have a new president.

After Brezhnev, perhaps what many consider the golden age of the soviet system, they never lasted more than a few years until Gorbachev.

Gorbachev, born 1931 and still alive, is critical of the west's expansion and of Putin's direction.

Some conscripts to the Russian war effort from the Donbas region are turning on their commanders and refusing to fight on, after being handed antiquated rifles designed in the 19th century, and forced to drink from ponds littered with dead frogs.

here

‘Motorcade of shame’: outrage over pro-Russia displays at Berlin rally

A rally in Berlin that was organised to draw attention to growing hostility towards Russians in Germany but included demonstrators supportive of the invasion of Ukraine has drawn sharp criticism from politicians and diplomats.

About 900 protesters in a 400-strong motorcade took part in the demonstration on Sunday that culminated in a gathering at the Olympic Stadium. Cars were draped in the Russian flag, and one bore the symbol “Z”, meant to signify solidarity with the Russian war. Participants reportedly sang patriotic Russian songs.