The War in Ukraine

2,641 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Standard shells are not guided, and are quite accurate

GPS can be jammed, its standard for higher value targets. Only costs about 15000 pounds - not much to help protect a 15 million tank

Yet a man with an anti-tank missile launcher on his shoulder can take it out!

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Yet a man with an anti-tank missile launcher on his shoulder can take it out!

Most modern anti tank missiles are guided, normally by IR, not GPS

Very very modern tanks ( mostly) not the ones the Russians have. Detect IR missiles at range and release smoke around them to confuse the IR system, causing the missile to miss

As said most Russian tanks are old and do not have this protection, that's why missiles are effective. If these missiles were used against tanks with these protections they would be much less effective

Tank M-84 Smoke Screen Demonstration - YouTube

2 hours ago, theGman said:

No, so why do we continue to buy shite from China? If we expect India to boycott Russian gas because of Ukraine then we should boycott Chinese goods because of the Uyghars.

Collective hypocrisy has always been an inconvenient truth. Hopefully, the generations following us will be able to right those wrongs and see themselves as global citizens rather than just arbitrary tribal members.

56 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We should. And I suspect China is nervous at the prospect. China has a heck of a lot more to lose from even a partial westen boycott on its goods. The Chinese will be seething with the Russians over all this as it has reinvigorated the western democracies. Such unity of purpose has not been seen since WWII.

Unfortunately, we (in the west) are too finely integrated into China’s economy to be able to stop in an instant. I believe that while China will do its utmost to maintain trade, the Nationalism inherent in the communist party will be doing all it can to prevent a second Century of Humiliation. Like many other societies, China’s memories of historical humiliations are at best, lightly buried. This will in all likelihood cause them to seek greater diversification of markets and strengthening ties with the “enemies of their enemies”.

A point to the cheap shyte products from China that floods our markets. It’s there because our demand for it is sufficiently high for them to make substantial profits. They can and have the ability to produce high quality products, but we don’t want to pay for them.

On 3/28/2022, 7:35:26, French bean said:

The Indians also buy a lot of Russian military hardware and are having problems with the Chinese and the Pakistanis along their border.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

India has massive problems if it boycotts Russian goods.

It has Pakistan as its neighbour and most of Indias military hardware comes from Russia.

Don't forget the Chinese.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Most modern anti tank missiles are guided, normally by IR, not GPS

I never suggested they were GPS guided, makes no sense, if you can see the target but are they not wire guided with the operator directing it via a monitor?

Whatever I can't help wondering if with expensive technology countering even more expensive technology if future wars will ultimately be fought man to man with air riffles and pistols.

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I have read in a few places that only 60% of Russian rockets are exploding on impact and the rest are duds.

It's such a corrupt shithole that the high explosive was probably removed and sold on the black market, leaving the "inventory" in tact (on paper). It's like their "well maintained" vehicles with the cheapest of cheap Chinese tyres bursting on contact with asphalt roads. It is deliciously ironic how Putin's own corruption is in no small part responsible for the terrible state of the Russian armed forces. Corruption trickles right down to the night watchman.

Seems Russia is retreating from Kiev and Chernihiv! They are probably afraid of being caught off guard and losing lots of troops. Seems south Ukraine will now be the main focus.

They are getting ready to split the country in 2, but if Ukraine's government keeps pushing them hard, they might have to give back most of what they took.

I still think Russians will settle with 1-2 regions and an agreement not to join NATO. If they get desperate, they will settle with holding Crimea and the NATO card.

My Georgian neighbor, who speaks fluent Russian, is in charge of helping three families get settled here.  I’m a retired SLP and mentioned to her that I have teaching skills.  I also assumed some Ukranians would arrive knowing English but not German.  Through her I am meeting a 13 yo and her mother tomorrow; they arrived in Konstanz on March 8th.  The girl needs help with English for the gymnasium and the mother needs emotional support (can’t speak German).  I’ve just received a text saying “Thank you for support.  It is very important for us.”  A family with an 11 yo will be in touch shortly. I feel so strange right now, as in overjoyed to be able to help by doing something, and so sad that it’s needed for such a horrible reason.  😢 now after receiving some more texts from the mother, but I’ll pull myself together before tomorrow.  Yes  @HH_Sailor it’s what we do.   

One of my relatives is head of social security of Algarve, in Portugal. She said the trickiest part so far is convincing Ukranians to vaccinate, as nobody will take them if they aren't vaccinated.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Seems Russia is retreating from Kiev and Chernihiv! They are probably afraid of being caught off guard and losing lots of troops. Seems south Ukraine will now be the main focus.

That's one way of saying it. Here's another -

Russian Forces Driven Away From Kyiv

From the BBC.

On talks:

• Russia's deputy defence minister Alexander Fomin has said Russia will "drastically reduce combat operations in the Kyiv and Chernihiv areas in order to boost mutual trust"

Or as Mike Melga says moving troops to another area and stemming their losses. Ukraine should no way trust them.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

It's such a corrupt shithole...

On 24/03/2022, 07:46:11, jeba said:

That is a remarkably perspicacious post.

Quote function still misbehaving...

46 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They have taken Mariupol. If they take Odessa, Ukraine is screwed as far as shipping goes.

If they leave Kiev, Ukraine can concentrate forces in the south. TBH, militarely speaking, this is a blunder from Russia, unless they are really on the edge of losing.

Unsure if a Ukranian victory means much for Taiwan's defense strategy. If China makes a naval blockade, US can't deliver missiles, as they are doing now with Ukraine. What seems convincing is that missiles and drones are the way to go.

Pretty sure Taiwan will order more soon.

(Repeated gang) rape has always been part of war. Utterly, utterly harrowing.

Ask the Yugoslavs how many were actually prosecuted.

Men in uniforms. Or even just at the gendarmerie (there s a whole other story).

Animals. What happens to their amygdala in war ?