The War in Ukraine

3,069 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

In Germany using the white "Z" symbol in connection with support with the war in Ukraine is now going to be a criminal offence: 

https://www.morgenpost.de/politik/inland/article234930793/Bundeslaender-Benutzen-von-russischem-Z-Symbol-strafbar.html

Berlin. Several federal states have announced criminal consequences for the public use of the Russian "Z" symbol. The Latin letter is used by supporters of the war in Ukraine.

Berlin's Senator of the Interior, Iris Spranger (SPD), told the Tagesspiegel: "If the context to war is established with the use of the white Z's, as it can be seen on Russian military vehicles, then of course that means advocacy of the war of aggression. That would be a punishable offence, and we would intervene immediately."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Men, women and children being slaughtered in Europe (again) and we still have people who think we can morally afford to fund the war(crimes).

2 hours ago, bramble said:

In Germany using the white "Z" symbol in connection with support with the war in Ukraine is now going to be a criminal offence: 

Sucks to be Zorro...

I think the Z stands for zlo (evil/wrong in Ukrainian) 

President Selenkyi was interviewed by the Economist and this is what he said.

„Die Deutschen würden „manchmal“ helfen, so der ukrainische Präsident weiter. Als besonders tatkräftig nimmt er die deutschen Politiker offenbar nicht wahr: Diese würden „versuchen, sich an die Situation anzupassen, während sie sich entwickelt“. Und zudem würden sie schauen, „wie sich die Situation auf ihr eigenes Land auswirkt“.

Der ukrainische Präsident Wolodymyr Selenskyj hat Deutschland vorgeworfen, den Ukraine-Krieg aus einer kühlen, ökonomischen Perspektive zu betrachten und zudem bei allen Hilfen mehr auf die Auswirkungen im eigenen Land bedacht zu sein.

Allerdings machte Selenskyj den Briten Komplimente. Diese würden voll und ganz hinter der Ukraine stehen. „Großbritannien ist an unserer Seite. Es führt keinen Balanceakt aus.“

https://www.msn.com/de-de/nachrichten/politik/die-deutschen-machen-einen-fehler-sie-machen-oft-fehler/ar-AAVzjBr?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1891c8f32e7e44b9906c64997d2c3be6

I personally find it very strange that there is absolutely no criticism of Angela Merkel and the CDU regarding the Ukrainen crisis, Nord stream 1 and 2 to give but one example.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying " Never put all your eggs in one basket" 

43 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

I personally find it very strange that there is absolutely no criticism of Angela Merkel and the CDU regarding the Ukrainen crisis, Nord stream 1 and 2 to give but one example.

There is a good article about how the Ukrainian Ambassador was trying to tell that to all officials. The result was the same treatment I sometimes get here on TT: gaslighting for not being polite enough. 

https://zeitung.faz.net/fas/politik/2022-03-27/41f792f983a7d40d510f0151b5206881/?GEPC=s3y

Als Melnyk aus der Kantine kommt, stürzen sich die Moderatorinnen auch auf ihn. Seine Ehefrau sieht zu, wie ihr Mann höflich seine Forderungen in die Kameras spricht, zum hundertsten, zum tausendsten Mal. Wie die Parlamentarier sich zunicken, wichtig an die Krawatten fassen. Wie Christian Lindner durch die Glastür kommt, einen Blick auf Melnyk wirft und schnell wieder abbiegt. Wie Rolf Mützenich wortlos am Botschafter vorübergeht. „Er leitet alle meine Mails nur weiter“, sagt Melnyk.

1 hour ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

There is a lot of truth in the old saying " Never put all your eggs in one basket" 

I'm very critic of Merkle in many topics. She did great in some topics, but foreign policy was a disaster, as well as climate change. Closing nuclear power stations without an alternative is just plain stupid, for example.

After 9 years in Germany, I still feel it's an extremally organized country, where state services work very well (yes, compared with Portugal!) but I started realizing top politics is as bad as other 1st world countries. Merkle just disguised the problem.

On 27/03/2022, 14:17:53, French bean said:

Talking of aerial footage, I watched this of a reconnaissance patrol using a drone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60878703

I'm totally gobsmacked by the Russians. I was in the RAF not the army and when we deployed we ALWAYS cammed up our vehicles or put them under some form of cover, not a leafless tree in winter. Here are the Russians parking their vehicles up in exposed positions without any camouflage. FFS they can't even be asked to hide the tank tracks left in the field. No wonder the Ukrainians are destroying so many vehicles.

Interesting footage. I am surprised artillery can be this precise.

A little bit "whataboutism" for the keyboard warriors amongst us: The majority of countries are not morally outraged about the war in Ukraine. I am sure they are all deranged afterall for such an important struggle who would not want to risk their energy and food supply? Well apparent the vast majority of human beings:

https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2022-03/westmaechte-ukraine-krieg-globaler-sueden-sanktionen

The ostensible unity in the United Nations obscures the fact that the vast majority of states in the global South have a very different perception of the conflict. Small and medium-sized states in Asia, Africa and Latin America do share a fundamental unease about Russia's incursion as an example of a powerful state overriding the interests of its smaller neighbor. But much stronger is the rejection of being drawn into a conflict perceived as a European problem. The Western portrayal of the war as a global challenge is not convincing, because in the struggle between the world's great powers, smaller and medium-sized states in the global South have little to gain and much to lose. Especially since many states in the global South have concrete interests in prosperous relations with Russia.

India and Vietnam, for example, obtain a large proportion of their armaments from Russia. Such extensive arms cooperation is the result of decades of partnerships. They cannot be replaced lightly. Once established, weapons systems require spare parts and maintenance, which are also sourced from Russia. Like many other countries in the global South, India imports much of the fertilizer essential for agriculture from Russia (and Ukraine). Wheat from both countries is a staple food in the Middle East and North Africa. Russian gas accounts for about one-third of Turkey's consumption, and 80 percent of Turkey's wheat imports come from Russia. In energy-hungry Bangladesh, Russia is building a nuclear power plant together with India, which the West refused to finance.

...Moreover, Vladimir Putin's attack is hardly fit for moral outrage. And who can blame the people? After all, innocent people continue to die in Syria, Yemen, Ethiopia, Myanmar and Mozambique as a result of organized armed violence. The fact that Ukraine, a European country, is now affected, that the European security architecture has proven to be unstable, does not make an epochal change.

@Namu Of course it is seen as a European problem but that doesn´t make it the right attitude.

Should the Uyghars be seen as an Asian problem only or the Taliban and so on?

24 minutes ago, Keleth said:

@Namu Of course it is seen as a European problem but that doesn´t make it the right attitude.

Should the Uyghars be seen as an Asian problem only or the Taliban and so on?

No, so why do we continue to buy shite from China? If we expect India to boycott Russian gas because of Ukraine then we should boycott Chinese goods because of the Uyghars.

1 hour ago, Namu said:

A little bit "whataboutism" for the keyboard warriors amongst us: The majority of countries are not morally outraged about the war in Ukraine.

The words "demonstrably false" apply here.

20220329_090749.jpg

1 hour ago, theGman said:

No, so why do we continue to buy shite from China? If we expect India to boycott Russian gas because of Ukraine then we should boycott Chinese goods because of the Uyghars.

We should. And I suspect China is nervous at the prospect. China has a heck of a lot more to lose from even a partial westen boycott on its goods. The Chinese will be seething with the Russians over all this as it has reinvigorated the western democracies. Such unity of purpose has not been seen since WWII.