The War in Ukraine

2,654 posts in this topic

Well why should he, it's his wife's side of the family and perhaps he doesn't get on with the in laws. (sarcasm folks)

4 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

It seems that more high-ranked officers are being moved nearer to the front because of low morale-

Maybe that's why so many high-ranking officers are being killed, probably by their own troops...

I have read a more credible explanation: Putin is angry at the generals that lied to him about successes.  Since they can't lie indefinitely, once he found out the army is losing he sent them to the frontline "to get direct control over the troops". 

In fact, it's a punishment. 

Talking of aerial footage, I watched this of a reconnaissance patrol using a drone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60878703

I'm totally gobsmacked by the Russians. I was in the RAF not the army and when we deployed we ALWAYS cammed up our vehicles or put them under some form of cover, not a leafless tree in winter. Here are the Russians parking their vehicles up in exposed positions without any camouflage. FFS they can't even be asked to hide the tank tracks left in the field. No wonder the Ukrainians are destroying so many vehicles.

To be honest, a 250€ IR IR camera can spot them easily. Camouflage is no longer helpful in all occasions. One more reason tanks are useless.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

To be honest, a 250€ IR IR camera can spot them easily. Camouflage is no longer helpful in all occasions. One more reason tanks are useless.

Military vehicles have been covered in infra red reflective paint for over 40 years, I suspect camouflage can be made from IRR material as well.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Yer but you do everything that helps no matter how tiny.

Tanks are not useless just they´re not at all suited to an urban environment.

3 hours ago, French bean said:

Military vehicles have been covered in infra red reflective paint for over 40 years, I suspect camouflage can be made from IRR material as well.

I don't think that paint helps in broad daylight.

58 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't think that paint helps in broad daylight.

It won't if it's green paint and the vehicle is on grey tarmac. It helps if the vehicle is under cover in woods or generally rural areas. The paint is only a part of camouflage and only really works in conjunction with other things such as cam nets, natural vegetation and not being placed in an exposed position. The IRR itself only works if an IR camera is used but again the vehicle itself has to be the same temperature as the atmosphere around it. An example would be a hot engine on a freezing day will always show up.

11 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60839787

Aerial video footage shows Russian soldiers shooting unarmed man with his hands raised

Fucking animals. It's one thing to shell a blind target and hit civilians without aiming at them (still a war crime though) but another to shoot a man dead in cold blood like that. That's murder of a man in front of his young son. I cannot imagine how that poor little boy will deal with what has happened. I am absolutely enraged by this.

7 hours ago, French bean said:

You are mixing reflective near infra red (NIR) cameras with thermal cameras.

NIR Cameras emit IR light and see the reflection. They are active sensors.

Thermal cameras don't give a shit about that reflective paint, because they measure the radiated heat. They are passive sensors. The only way to stop a thermal camera is to completely insulate the tank, which is impossible because it generates too much heat.

Tanks are a symbol of power but they are too expensive for such poor performance. And somehow Germany decided to invest tens of billions more into them...

On 25/3/2022, 22:15:09, Chelski said:

" Brig Tom Foulkes also has an explanation as to why so many Russian generals are getting killed on the front line: "This sounds to me like a deliberate and highly successful sniper campaign which could degrade the Russian command structures."

War in Ukraine: What Ukraine is getting right

I don't think this is the case or, better, this is not the real cause. The problem is that high rank official are on the frontline, probably due to the big problems Russia army is having with communications. 

The new east-west iron curtain is starting to drop. It's been clear for decades that China would lead a new counter-block. Interesting as countries like India, who have tens of millions of people working in western countries, still have deep ties with Russia and are aligning with Russian propaganda.

So this Putin's speech is not working only in Russia and China. It's working in many other key countries and even in far-left audience in the west.

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

The new east-west iron curtain is starting to drop. It's been clear for decades that China would lead a new counter-block. Interesting as countries like India, who have tens of millions of people working in western countries, still have deep ties with Russia and are aligning with Russian propaganda.

So this Putin's speech is not working only in Russia and China. It's working in many other key countries and even in far-left audience in the west.

My home town in the UK has a very large Indian / Pakistani community and it use to be said "Don't do business with them because they will just screw you to the ground" They have no scruples when it comes to business and making money hence why they are doing a deal to buy cheap Russian oil. The Indians also buy a lot of Russian military hardware and are having problems with the Chinese and the Pakistanis along their border. Modi doesn't really give a shit about Indians in the west, only about domestic issues and looking after No1.

I forgot China, whilst the West are concentrating on Russia they will continue their agenda of expanding in the S. China Sea.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

They have no scruples when it comes to business and making money hence why they are doing a deal to buy cheap Russian oil.

Most countries don´t, not even Turkey, a NATO member. Which is why the sanctions won´t stop the war, which is one of the reasons why your fellow leftist e.g. Sarah Wagenknecht opposes them (in German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMMeqC8fuY). I´d never have thought I´d share her views. If you are in favour of freezing (and deliberately risking a recession with all the consequences e.g. for unemployment) Ukraine, why not for all those other countries suffering from war (Yemen, Western Sahara, Ethiopia, Libya and others)? You´d also have to sanction e.g. Saudi Arabia for supporting the war in Yemen or Morocco for suppressing Polisario (against UN resolutions) and not lift the sanctions against Venezuela (as she claims in the video I linked, this is happening in view of the need for Venezuelan oil - haven´t checked if that´s true). You´d be sanctioning forever.