The War in Ukraine

3,110 posts in this topic

The U.S. has uncovered "credible information" that Russian forces "are creating lists of identified Ukrainians to be killed or sent to camps," and that Russian troops will "likely use lethal measures to disperse peaceful protests," according to a recent letter to a U.N. high commissioner, sent by a U.S. ambassador.

The undated letter—published by The Washington Post on Sunday and written by Ambassador Bathsheba Nell Crocker, U.S. representative to the Office of the United Nations, and addressed to U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet—warns of a potential "human rights catastrophe" in the coming days.

"I would like to bring to your attention disturbing information recently obtained by the United States that indicates that human rights violations and abuses in the aftermath of a further invasion are being planned," Crocker wrote. "These acts ... would likely target those who oppose Russian actions, including Russian and Belarusian dissidents in exile in Ukraine, journalists and anti-corruption activists, and vulnerable populations such as religious and ethnic minorities and LGBTQI+ persons.

"Specifically, we have credible information that indicates Russian forces are creating lists of identified Ukrainians to be killed or sent to campus following a military occupation. We also have credible information that Russian forces will likely use lethal measures to disperse peaceful protests or otherwise counter peaceful exercises of perceived resistance from civilian populations."

Here

I'm wondering if these are the people who are being taken to Russia now or if those are just random people.

I do wonder, even when it comes from our side, if "credible information"  is a euphemism for propaganda?!?

38 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm wondering if these are the people who are being taken to Russia now or if those are just random people.

I expect they are sending ethnic Russians, whatever that is (those for whom Russian is the first language?) to Russia, and filming this inflow of refugees as proof they are saving their people from the Nazi terror.

11 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I expect they are sending ethnic Russians, whatever that is (those for whom Russian is the first language?) to Russia, and filming this inflow of refugees as proof they are saving their people from the Nazi terror.

This is neither religious nor ethnic conflict, nothing like Israel-Palestine, India/Pakistan or Rwanda, or Yugoslavia in the 1990s. There is no such thing as "ethnic Russian". Part of my family comes from Russia, I guess this makes me Russian enough in the eyes of Putin, cursed his name will be. 

The closest description of the political situation would be pre-WWII Austria: there were Deutschnationale who embraced a single pan-Germanic state and a union with Germany, and there were Austrian fascists who wanted an independent Austria. 

Hitler killed German nationalist political movements in Austria, and Putin did the same with Russian nationalist politics. After this war nobody would ever like any sort of union with Russia. 

15 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

There is no such thing as "ethnic Russian".

You are so full of it.

There are millions of ethnic Russians who fled Russia and Belarus to go live in Ukraine.

I didn't say this was an ethnic conflict. All I was doing was speculating about the people being sent to Russia, and for what they might be used (propaganda).

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

You are so full of it.

There are millions of ethnic Russians who fled Russia and Belarus to go live in Ukraine.

Maybe lost in translation.

Putin's court poodles have sentenced Alexey Navalny to another nine years in a maximum security prison for fraud. Going by what seems to be Kremlin's habit of accusing their opponents of things they do themselves, this presumably makes Putin and Co fraudsters. But how else could a former KGB officer amass such wealth?

Jailed Kremlin critic Alexey Navalny found guilty of fraud and sentenced to another nine years in prison

(Jan 2021) Navalny makes allegations of Putin wealth ahead of protests

Alexei Navalny, President Vladimir Putin’s most prominent critic who was jailed at the weekend, on Tuesday (19 January) released a video* in which he and his allies alleged that an opulent palace belonged to the Russian leader, a claim the Kremlin denied.  ...  Navalny and his anti-corruption foundation published what they said were previously unseen photographs and detailed 3-D visualisations based on floor plans of the lavish interior along with a paper trail they said proved the 100 billion-rouble ($1.36 billion) Black Sea palace ultimately belonged to Putin. ... Navalny said in the video that it was time for Russians to force a change in leadership. “Stop waiting and spending our lives and our taxes on the enrichment of these people,” he said. “Don’t be silent!”

* Navalny's video in English: Putin's palace. The story of the world's biggest bribe.

Short DW News video about the Navalny video: Navalny reveals investigation into ‘Putin's Palace’

Vladimir Putin owns £500m superyacht moored in Italy, Alexei Navalny allies claim

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Here

It's all very disturbing. Last night on German TV a Ukrainian woman still in Ukraine spoke about a friend who was evacuated to Russia with her 13 year old daughter and a load of other refugees. She had told her on the phone that the Russians were separating the older kids (also the 13 year old daughter) from their mothers, though allowing the mothers to keep the very young kids with them. She hasn't heard from her since, so it's possible that her phone was taken away from her. If any of this is true, it's extremely disturbing. 

3 hours ago, bramble said:

It's all very disturbing. Last night on German TV a Ukrainian woman still in Ukraine spoke about a friend who was evacuated to Russia with her 13 year old daughter and a load of other refugees. She had told her on the phone that the Russians were separating the older kids (also the 13 year old daughter) from their mothers, though allowing the mothers to keep the very young kids with them. She hasn't heard from her since, so it's possible that her phone was taken away from her. If any of this is true, it's extremely disturbing. 

Sounds like the separation of Mexican refugee, ah, illegal immigrant kids from their parents and their trafficking for adoption purposes in the US... :(

I was curious about what is happening on Crete regarding Russia as we are friendly with  a Russian family who visit our village every year and there are plenty of Russians who visit Crete and buy properties. Or simply come for the weather on holiday.

I don't think we will neet our Russian friends this year when we return for a few months at the end of April..

https://www.crete.pl/en/news_2621_Rzad_Grecji_uderza_w_bogatych_Rosjan.html

7 hours ago, Metall said:

Sounds like the separation of Mexican refugee, ah, illegal immigrant kids from their parents and their trafficking for adoption purposes in the US... :(

They were also doing this in the former DDR and there was no war. It has been revealed since the wall came down that small children were taken away from their families and adopted out to parents deemed loyal to the regime. Newborn born babies were taken from their mothers, who were told that their babies were stillborn. 

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

I was curious about what is happening on Crete regarding Russia as we are friendly with  a Russian family who visit our village every year and there are plenty of Russians who visit Crete and buy properties. Or simply come for the weather on holiday.

I don't think we will neet our Russian friends this year when we return for a few months at the end of April..

https://www.crete.pl/en/news_2621_Rzad_Grecji_uderza_w_bogatych_Rosjan.html

Although I condemn what Putin has ordered and what the Russian army is doing in the Ukraine, I do try to tempura my anger to those groups. The average person in Russia is probably un aware about what is going on in the Ukraine. 

The crete.pl says it only affects the rich / oligarchs so not sure how it will affect your Russian people, still flights are not allowed at the moment from Russia, maybe they would have to fly to a third country first.

3 minutes ago, bramble said:

They were also doing this in the former DDR and there was no war. It has been revealed since the wall came down that small children were taken away from their families and adopted out to parents deemed loyal to the regime. Newborn born babies were taken from their mothers, who were told that their babies were stillborn. 

A lot of this went on in Ireland too, mostly with unmarried mothers, but not always.  If somebody felt that the mother or parents weren't capable, the baby was taken away and they were told it had died.  In other cases, they were persuaded to give the baby up for a better life. 

17 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Although I condemn what Putin has ordered and what the Russian army is doing in the Ukraine, I do try to tempura my anger to those groups. The average person in Russia is probably un aware about what is going on in the Ukraine. 

The crete.pl says it only affects the rich / oligarchs so not sure how it will affect your Russian people, still flights are not allowed at the moment from Russia, maybe they would have to fly to a third country first.

I read a Cretan newsletter sometime this morning and it reports flights from Russia are banned also for normal tourists.

I also read Crete usually receives about 125,000 Russian tourists a year and about 100,000 Ukrainians.

I phoned a friend in our Cretan village a few minutes ago and he told me electricity costs have gone up 70 per cent there in the past few weeks.

16 minutes ago, Tap said:

A lot of this went on in Ireland too, mostly with unmarried mothers, but not always.  If somebody felt that the mother or parents weren't capable, the baby was taken away and they were told it had died.  In other cases, they were persuaded to give the baby up for a better life. 

Magdalene Launderettes. Forever a stain on the Catholic church and complicit goverments.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I read a Cretan newsletter sometime this morning and it reports flights from Russia are banned also for normal tourists.

I also read Crete usually receives about 125,000 Russian tourists a year and about 100,000 Ukrainians.

I phoned a friend in our Cretan village a few minutes ago and he told me electricity costs have gone up 70 per cent there in the past few weeks.

All direct flights to Europe and USA are banned from Russia at the moment, the planes are not allowed to enter USA or European airspace.  But that does not stop you from flying from Russia to one of the middle eastern countries like, QATAR or UAE,  or even Israel  etc etc and then change flights to get to Crete, of course its stupid, because if you are going for the Sun, the UAE etc have enough of it anyway.

If you are not an  oligarch, I think you can still get into the EU that way, but more hassle, If you are an oligarch, I do not think you can enter Europe or USA

4 minutes ago, yesterday said:

If you are not an  oligarch, I think you can still get into the EU that way,

Yes, but how do you manage to pay your way,  given that your credit cards won't work and you can't make payments by bank transfer?

On 21/03/2022, 12:28:22, arsenal21 said:

Nobody is going to argue that Nazi Germany should have kept fighting.

No but in Jebas ideal world they wouldn´t have had to fight.They would be allowed what they want and to run the holocaust as they wanted because less people would have died than actually died stopping them.