The War in Ukraine

2,484 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Little late to buy gold. Over $ 2k.

I know I almost left it too late as well although it may still go higher (hoping).

Just now, kaffeemitmilch said:

I'm South Asian. My family have a good supply of gold...

Want to sell some?

38 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I'm reading that police are stopping people in Russia to check their phones for anti-war messages or posts. Crikey.

Moscow police ‘stopping people to go through their phones’ amid anti-war protests | The Independent

They are. But the tech savvy know how to get rid of stuff.  And VPNs are operating and Telegram messaging is alive and well.  So many people actually do know what is going on.  ✈️s full of tech sector folks are departing daily for Tbilisi and Yerevan, where everyone speaks Russian.  Amazingly he hasn’t yet stopped the outflow, but this brain drain can’t be good for Russia.  An interesting factoid is that to entice programmers to stay put he has said they won’t be conscripted. Apparently that doesn’t seem to be working out well.

8 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

he has said they won’t be conscripted

Who would believe anything he says? We're talking about Trump's twin here.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Who would believe anything he says? We're talking about Trump's twin here.

Exactly.  They know better.  My source on the ground told me that.  😏  They’re leaving instead. 

EDIT: There will continue to be plenty of exodus until he stops it, as people fear.  So Armenians and Georgians who live in Russia are now exiting.  He’s a f***ing master at disrupting people‘s lives.  

What a load of shit -

“I want to address mothers, wives, sisters, brides and girlfriends of our soldiers and officers who defend Russia during the special military operation” Putin said in the address.

"I emphasize that conscript soldiers are not participating in hostilities and will not participate in them. And there will be no additional call-up of reservists."

The Russian president also said he was sending special respect to the women of his country, adding "I understand how you’re worrying for your beloved ones. You may be as proud of them as the whole country is".

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What a load of shit -

Sure is. And if he’s not conscripting then why are tech sector people being told they won’t be conscripted?  

On the way to our band practice room,  I always go past one of the smaller refugee camps in town. They also do initial intake.
For the past year, I only saw Africans (men) and what could have been Syrians (men, a few women/families) there.

Since a week ago, obviously Eastern European women and children (and a few men) are lining up there, quietly, unhappily talking among themselves.

Quite a few cars ranging from in moderately good to pretty beat up shape with Ukranian plates are parked outside. That was a long car trip.

I still cannot believe I am not in a movie. 

The United Nations has banned its staff from referring to the situation in Ukraine as a “war” or “invasion”, in a move to balance political sensitivities as powerful member state Russia cracks down domestically on those who use the words.

Instead, UN staff have been instructed to use the terms “conflict” or “military offensive” to describe Russia’s invasion of its neighbour, which has killed hundreds of civilians and forced two million to flee the country.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/united-nations-bans-staff-from-using-war-or-invasion-regarding-ukraine-1.4821438

5 hours ago, AlexTr said:

The DRK's readiness team is next door with Caritas staff looking at the recently vacated retirement facility.

I attended an weekly English-speaking group this morning - we meet in a room at a nearby DRK building.

Whilst winding up the session our leader/chairman asked if we knew anyone who spoke Russian (or Ukranien) as the DRK was looking for translators to assist when the expected influx of homless arrive.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

If I remember rightly, a war has to be officially declared to be considered a war. The same happened in 1982 when Argentine soldiers landed on the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas. It was called a conflict at first and only upgraded once prisoners were taken to protect their rights under the Geneva Convention.

Since 1945, developments in international law such as the United Nations Charter, which prohibits both the threat and the use of force in international conflicts, have made declarations of war largely obsolete in international relations,[1] though such declarations may have relevance within the domestic law of the belligerents or of neutral nations. 

Europe isn't as afraid of Russia as it was.

To be sure, most military experts say that Russia will eventually subdue Ukraine’s army. Russia’s military, at 900,000 active duty troops and 2 million reservists, is eight times the size of Ukraine’s. Russia has advanced fighter planes, a formidable navy and marines capable of multiple amphibious landings, as they proved early in the invasion when they launched from the Black Sea and headed toward the city of Mariupol.

And Western governments that have spoken openly about Russia’s military failings are eager to spread the word to help damage Russian morale and bolster the Ukrainians.

But with each day that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy holds out, the scenes of a frustrated Russia pounding, but not managing to finish off, a smaller opponent dominate screens around the world.

The result: Militaries in Europe that once feared Russia say they are not as intimidated by Russian ground forces as they were in the past.

the rest of the article

30 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

But with each day that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy holds out, the scenes of a frustrated Russia pounding, but not managing to finish off, a smaller opponent dominate screens around the world.

The result: Militaries in Europe that once feared Russia say they are not as intimidated by Russian ground forces as they were in the past.

When you compare the Russian war against the Ukraine to the west's campaign in Irag and Afghanistan, at least the initial invasions, then it seems slow ponderous and not very effective, particularly as they are located right next door to one another. So no wonder it is indeed giving the Ukrainians hope, if not for a victory, perhaps at least a stalemate maybe possible and then  they can make it very difficult for the Russians to retain anything they take. That is my hope at least and the fact we have had a rude wake call to drastically reduce our dependence on Russian energy.

Lisa, a Ukrainian woman who escaped Kyiv and is currently in western Ukraine and who also asked that her last name not be used for safety purposes, appeared Monday on Don Lemon Tonight, where she spoke about the effectiveness of the disinformation campaign that the Russian government is currently running on its citizens. Lisa said that her parents live in Russia, and believe the propaganda they are fed on a daily basis. Even her own evidence wasn’t enough to convince them that the Russian military is doing anything wrong.

“They can’t believe that Russians are doing anything wrong. They can’t believe that Russians are hitting civilian buildings,” Lisa said, later adding, “Even when I show the photo of my own neighborhood, which is rocket-launched, they still … they — I can’t understand how it happens.”

The Russian government has recently cracked down on independent journalism and free speech even more than normal in an attempt to spin its own narrative about the war that it started, and Lisa said her parents believe what the government is telling them.

“They really believe what they see on TV more,” Lisa said. “Of course they are afraid for my own safety and for their grandchildren, but I’ve heard from them that even things like Ukrainian army is shooting its own civilians. But who serves in the Ukrainian army? Those who have their homes and their families here.”

Lisa said that even before the war, her parents and other Russians laughed at Ukrainians who took the threat of invasion seriously.

“She told me that Russians are laughing at that panic,” Lisa said. “They believe that Ukrainians are just crazy, that Russia will never attack. So it was just one week before the invasion.”