The War in Ukraine

2,484 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Some of her views are controversial (and I do not share them), yet she never claimed anything like this. Judenräte ≠ all Jews. 

“Wherever Jews lived, there were recognized Jewish leaders, and this leadership, almost without exception, cooperated in one way or another, for one reason or another, with the Nazis. The whole truth was that if the Jewish people had really been unorganized or leaderless, there would have been chaos and plenty of misery but the total number of victims would hardly have been between four and a half and six million people.” 

4 hours ago, mseth said:

One corridor will be opened from the capital Kyiv to the city of Gostomel

?? It's the most dangerous route in Ukraine because there is a military airport there which the fascists are trying to capture.

If you know shit about the country, shut the fuck up.

P.S. I am a very bad keyboard warrior and do not deserve the title. I take the issue too emotionally. Eric7 and mseth do it more professionally. Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

“Wherever Jews lived, there were recognized Jewish leaders, and this leadership, almost without exception, cooperated in one way or another, for one reason or another, with the Nazis. The whole truth was that if the Jewish people had really been unorganized or leaderless, there would have been chaos and plenty of misery but the total number of victims would hardly have been between four and a half and six million people.” 

I don't see here any blame on the victims, it is just the statement of fact that any collaboration with the enemy is unacceptable.

The westerners did not learn a shit from the Holocaust, but Ukrainians did. And this is why Putin will make war crimes, but not a genocide. No way.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

?? It's the most dangerous route in Ukraine because there is a military airport there which the fascists are trying to capture.

If you know shit about the country, shut the fuck up.

P.S. I am a very bad keyboard warrior and do not deserve the title. I take the issue too emotionally. Eric7 and mseth do it more professionally. Sorry about that.

And d***k**f. Read and understand my complete f** post.

7 hours ago, mseth said:

And d***k**f. Read and understand my complete f** post.

The trouble with Eichmann was precisely that so many were like him, and that the many were neither perverted nor sadistic, that they were, and still are, terribly and terrifyingly normal. 

Hannah Arendt was hated for saying the truth: the evil is not Putin, Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Un etc. The evil is you (plural).

It's not all Russians, it's just Putin, nobody supports this war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/07/world/europe/russia-letter-z-ivan-kuliak.html

There are Z stickers on the backs of cars and commercial vehicles, and one talk show pundit recently appeared wearing a T-shirt with a large white Z on it.

Some corporate logos and newspaper names that contained a Z manipulated the letter to highlight it. An advertising campaign using billboards in large cities featured a large Z created out of a black and orange ribbon, the St. George ribbon, which is a symbol of the Russian military.

It is not uncommon for vehicles dedicated to a military campaign to display a readily identifiable mark — U.S. Army vehicles used to repulse the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait were painted with a big white chevron, for example. To see it spread among civilians is another matter.

The DRK's readiness team is next door with Caritas staff looking at the recently vacated retirement facility. It was slated for a complete renovation, but it looks like it will get another use.

2 cheerleaders, 1 appeaser - at least by my count.

Maybe I should buy a program. You can't tell your autocrat-fellators from your horse paste peddlers without a program...

11 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

2 cheerleaders, 1 appeaser - at least by my count.

Maybe I should buy a program. You can't tell your autocrat-fellators from your horse paste peddlers without a program...

Dry your eyes buddy.
Just because someone says things you don't like doesn't make them a cheerleader, just as pointing out reasons for something happening isn't the same as supporting it.

I understand how you struggle with that concept however.

2 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Is anyone thinking of liquidating their portfolio and/or withdrawing  shit ton of cash?

No, but we stay pretty liquid all the time. If a ground war comes to Germany, cash will not be as important as food stocks and vegetable seeds. I'm not even there yet.

Anyway, looks like no-ones going to be cold after all... unless they can't afford the insane prices of course.

Wall Street Journal - Germany Says It Won't Stop Buying Russian Energy Despite Moscow’s War in Ukraine

Bloomberg - Germany Signals Opposition to Ban on Russian Energy Imports

From the Bloomberg article:
"Germany relies on Russia for more than half of its gas and coal supplies and more than a third of its oil. To compensate for lost Russian gas, the country would need deliveries from the world’s entire 600-vessel fleet of liquefied natural gas tankers, business lobby DIHK estimates."

The decision to turn away from nuclear power was and still is, utterly insane.

6 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Is anyone thinking of liquidating their portfolio and/or withdrawing  shit ton of cash?

No. Terrible time to sell. I raised some cash a couple of months ago when the markets were up. Tempting to invest some of it now but I won't.

Oh of course it's a terrible time to sell, but an alternative is the obliteration of the companies in which I hold stock. Worst case scenario, of course, so I'm just trying to figure things out. And, if you don't start taking out cash now, when you might actually need it, there won't be supply.

Anyway, stocking up on food and other tangible goods is likely the more useful. Maybe invest in a 1000 gallon gasoline tank.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I think liquidating Putin is a better idea, but if you want to be sure buy gold.

4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I think liquidating Putin is a better idea, but if you want to be sure buy gold.

Little late to buy gold. Over $ 2k.

15 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I'm South Asian. My family have a good supply of gold...