The War in Ukraine

3,073 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

With that argument you could stop globalization altogether. No more trade with China (Tibet), Saudi Arabia (Yemen, Kashoggi), Brazil (genocide on indigenous people,

How bad would that be?

Since the end of the European Empires where raw materials were sourced from the colonies for manufacture in industrial infrastructure of Europe and the US for sale  to the world, modern globalisation has been detrimental to most people around the globe it  merely moves business and jobs to where it can be most cheaply run.

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

How bad would that be?

I would want to try it. And trust me, the majority of voters wouldn´t either. Voters in developed countries, that is, because it would mean waving goodby to prosperity.

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

I would want to try it. And trust me, the majority of voters wouldn´t either. Voters in developed countries, that is, because it would mean waving goodby to prosperity.

Prosperity? How much has the west borrowed from China? We not only buy huge quantities of manufactured goods from them they lend us the money to do so!

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Typo! Should read "would not", of course.

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Prosperity? How much has the west borrowed from China? We not only buy huge quantities of manufactured goods from them they lend us the money to do so!

And so? Would you want to stop that?

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

And so? Would you want to stop that?

Do you think such an unhealthy dependency on unfriendly authoritarian nations should continue for what at best will only be a temporary prosperity? We will have to pay the bill sometime!

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Do you think such an unhealthy dependency on unfriendly authoritarian nations should continue for what at best will only be a temporary prosperity?

It´s partly unavoidable. We may escape that on energy via renewables, but unfortunately, god buried our precious natural resources in the soil of lots of unfriendly authoritarian nations (to use the words of Volker Pispers).

4 hours ago, jeba said:

It´s partly unavoidable. We may escape that on energy via renewables, but unfortunately, god buried our precious natural resources in the soil of lots of unfriendly authoritarian nations (to use the words of Volker Pispers).

True enough but that does not mean all the added value industry using those natural resources needs to move away from the customer base to countries where the labour is cheap and the incentives and taxation are maybe attractive. That however is the model of current globalisation and is what launched China on the way to world economic domination!

The hits are coming closer:

Energy costs too high: Arcelor-Mittal stops production at two German sites
The steel company is shutting down plants in Bremen and Hamburg because they are no longer economically viable. There is already short-time work at other sites.

deep-translation from https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/industrie/stahlhersteller-zu-hohe-energiekosten-arcelor-mittal-stellt-produktion-an-zwei-deutschen-standorten-ein/28653048.html

So much for we´ll just have to wear warmer clothing. That stupid argument makes my blood boil.

16 hours ago, jeba said:

Not exactly. Solar panels can be made in Europe, either with local resources or from African/south American resources. China dominates PV production because they subsidize it, to control world market.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

The hits are coming closer:

So much for we´ll just have to wear warmer clothing. That stupid argument makes my blood boil.

Steel production was expected to be affected, it is an industry completely dependent on gas and we are still far from developing methods to use alternative energy sources in their processes.   And steel production alone is responsible for 7% of the global CO2 emissions.   So maybe something good will come out of this at the end.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Steel production was expected to be affected, it is an industry completely dependent on gas 

So it's fine then? I tell you what: I expect a lot more to be affected. Hopefully those bigmouths who were calling for sanctions will lose their jobs first.

27 minutes ago, jeba said:

So it's fine then? I tell you what: I expect a lot more to be affected. Hopefully those bigmouths who were calling for sanctions will lose their jobs first.

So we have to appease to Putin, we know.  All hail the new Führer. 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Better go out and buy a new jumper:lol:

On the other side the EU is not going to be handing over large sums of money to Russia anymore,  this is in effect self sancans on Russia. Lets see how long they last without all that money.

Looks like we will be seeing the Northern lights in summer time this year as Putin burns all that gas in the artic and has to  shut down the oil wells, once stopped its very difficult to restart them, so he will have to re dig them, and without the Western experts helping, I wish him very bad luck.

Hope not many people lose there jobs, we need to look after each other

48 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Better go out and buy a new jumper:lol:

No need for that. I´m heating with electricity from my PV-system (which generates enough to give some away to my neighbour to heat one of her rooms via extension cable). Cyprus is allowing you to use the public grid as battery. The excess I´m generating and feeding into the grid in summer I can get back in winter. Mindboggling that it doesn´t work that way in Germany as well.

48 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Lets see how long they last without all that money.

Very long. Russia´s public debt is only 16% of GDP (makes every Western nation envious). And much longer than those Germans who will lose their jobs.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

You know that Cyprus has very mild winters in comparison.

I do. That's a big part of the reason why I'm living here. As is the fact that it has 320 sunny days per year.

On 9/3/2022, 12:04:08, yesterday said:

Ukraine war: Russia to keep key gas pipeline to EU closed

Ukraine war: Russia to keep key gas pipeline to EU closed - BBC News

now we are in the sh*t

This is a good move. The oil crisis in Europe in the 1970s sparked the development of more fuel-efficient cars, the blackmailing did not work for Arabs, and now Israel is establishing diplomatic relationships with the countries that originally created that crisis. The Arabs understood that customer is the king and not vice versa, now UAE and Saudia are rich. 

Russia did not learn from history and tries the same blackmailing it did to Ukraine for decades (ever since I remember myself)

I am happy they are so stupid to do this. Best shooting in the leg of the 21 century.

On 9/3/2022, 12:28:29, MikeMelga said:

Not exactly. Solar panels can be made in Europe, either with local resources or from African/south American resources. China dominates PV production because they subsidize it, to control world market.

The Chinese make them in Europe, too. Even when the Germans do not consider Ukraine to be in Europe, it still is. Ukraine has a lot of rare metals relevant for solar panels, so the Chinese are (or at least were) building solar panels in my area. No need for African resources, there are a lot in Europe. 

Just need to kick the Russians out. 

On 31/08/2022, 14:39:31, jeba said:

Anything of substance to say?

That´s just an assumption. Let´s see whether it´s correct, I say.

Why is it that you have such faith in Habeck´s  et al. narrative? There is no harm in testing whether his suggestion was insincere. There will not be flowing less gas than zero - as it is now.

See here https://www.bbc.com/news/58888451

A short section of it 

The Kremlin has said that "technological problems" caused by Western sanctions are preventing Russia from supplying gas via the Nord Stream pipeline. It says a leak has been detected in a turbine.

But a spokesperson for the EU told the BBC the sanctions regime does not affect the technology needed for the transport of gas into Europe.

Siemens Energy, which produces the gas turbines, said these type of leaks "do not normally affect the operation of a turbine".

"This doesn't seem like a legitimate reason to close a pipeline", says Ben McWilliams, an energy policy expert at Bruegel. "I'm as confident as I can be that this is Putin's latest move to manipulate gas prices and put pressure on Europe's energy systems."

Gazprom has also said missing documents have prevented certain gas turbines being maintained - but Siemens Energy has rejected the suggestion it failed to provide the relevant paperwork.

So why do you believe, Mr Putin rather than Siemens ???
What Putin is really saying, remove all the sanctions and then we will supply the EU with Gas. Its bad for Germany to be so dependant on one supplier in general, and Germany need more energy diversification anyway. Its just common sense