The War in Ukraine

2,790 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Namu said:

Peace soon is necessary for many reasons - for example to avoid a global hunger crisis ( what some of you would call whataboutism).

Tell that to Zelensky who said he'll only consider truce negotiations once Russian forces will be pushed back into Russia (not sure whether he included Crimea into that).

This could change quickly. If those new long range weapons are as effective as said, and come in great number.

If they can eliminate russian artillery with those weapons, then russians will flee quickly. Either that or risk air attacks, which could cost them hundreds of planes.

Culture clash. French males must never, ever, ever be seen to lose face. If you want to achieve anything you have to let them (the enemy) come out of it smelling of roses. No matter what bastards they actually are.

12 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61691816

Ukraine's foreign minister has hit out at French President Emmanuel Macron after he said it was vital that Russia was not humiliated over its invasion.

Typically French, they've probably surrendered to Russia already...

More like they obviously have some sense, trying to not make it more difficult for him to come to the negotiating table.

Putin s not gonna negotiate with anyone. There s only one way this is going to end for him personally.

He s numb. Difficult to believe he has actual feelings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61702862

Another Russian General killed in Ukraine...

Russian state media have confirmed the death of one of Moscow's top generals during heavy fighting in Ukraine's eastern Donbas region.

Maj Gen Roman Kutuzov was killed leading an assault on a Ukrainian settlement in the region, a reporter with the state-owned Rossiya 1 said.

12 hours ago, jeba said:

More like they obviously have some sense, trying to not make it more difficult for him to come to the negotiating table.

Putin has zero credibility, remember he said he was not going to invade the Ukraine, I am amazed the French President and the German Chancellor are still talking to him no one else wants to.

13 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

the death of one of Moscow's top generals

Been hearing this a lot. I wonder how many top generals they have.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Probably a lot, but not as many as Venezuela!

https://theconversation.com/venezuela-what-chavezs-mentor-told-me-about-the-countrys-castro-inspired-road-to-ruin-80249

This might explain why Venezuela has more active military generals than the NATO alliance countries combined: it now boasts more than 4,000 generals, up from fewer than 50 in 1993.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They probably have a lot of lower ranked Generals, hoping they don't get promoted...

Merkel makes first major interview after the Ukraine invasion ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61727450https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61727450

She says, 

"I don't have to blame myself for not trying hard enough," she said. "I don't see that I have to say 'that was wrong' and that's why I have nothing to apologise for."

I tend to give her some of the benefit of the doubt, if Germany had refused Nordstream 2 and bought LPG Gas from around the world, Gas prices would have been much more expensive for Germany for the last 10 years or so, If she had done that a lot of people would be complaining how expensive Gas is.

With the benefit of hind sight, yes it was a mistake to become to reliant on Russia, But who could see Russia invading the Ukraine in the last years ???

Of course we should have got more eco energy, and become less reliant on Gas. But I guess we all see now how difficult it is to switch to eco energy in the short to medium term.

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I tend to give her some of the benefit of the doubt, if Germany had refused Nordstream 2 and bought LPG Gas from around the world, Gas prices would have been much more expensive for Germany for the last 10 years or so, If she had done that a lot of people would be complaining how expensive Gas is.

Nordstream 2 has never been in operation, and the gas prices were not expensive. 

The only reason for this project was Grexit: Germany getting gas directly from Russia without transit via "unreliable" countries, some of them is Ukraine, the others are EU members. 

This is Germany and Merkel: to exploit the EU only to serve its own interests, fuck the others. 

This war gave me some sympathy for Brexit. I will not cry if the EU falls apart, Germany (and France) betrayed it. 

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

... exploit the EU only to serve its own interests, fuck the others. 

This is universally applicable to each and every country of the EU. No one joined Europe for altruistic reasons.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

This is Germany and Merkel: to exploit the EU only to serve its own interests, fuck the others. 

The Nordstream 2, can pipe Gas to other EU country's as well, its not only for Germany - how is that fuck the rest ???

German is the largest net contributor to the EU, that money is distributed to other EU nations, how is that fuck the rest of the EU  ???

19 hours ago, yesterday said:

German is the largest net contributor to the EU, that money is distributed to other EU nations, how is that fuck the rest of the EU  ???

This is how German imperialism works: fuck the EU, pay peanuts to claim "but we are the net contributor to the EU". 

In 2012 Germany refused to increase inflation in the Eurozone to help indebted Greece, but instead it borrowed it the money. 

Germans know how to manipulate to make them look good. 

A draft bill submitted to the Russian State Duma calls for repealing the resolution of the Soviet Union State Council “On Recognising the Independence of the Republic of Lithuania”.

The bill was drafted by a member of the United Russia party, Evgeny Fedorov.

In the explanatory note, Fedorov said the Russian Federation was recognised as the legal successor of the Soviet Union. He also noted that in March 1991, a referendum was held in Russia, expressing support in preserving the Soviet Union as a single state.

But in September the same year, the Soviet Union State Council, chaired by Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, adopted a resolution “On Recognising the Independence of the Republic of Lithuania”. Fedorov claimed the resolution was illegal.

https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-english/19/1714852/russia-s-duma-mulls-revoking-recognition-of-lithuanian-independence

This red flag will be ignored in the West again, Russia is directly threatening a NATO country.