The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, bramble said:

You're a spiteful git. How about criticising the lack of Israeli support for Ukraine for a change? 

This is not how criminal liability works. You buy Russian gas and oil, and that money is used for war to kill Ukrainians. Not Sweden, not Israel, not the Falkland islands. You

And to your defense, you do nothing but play beleidigte Leberwurst

36 minutes ago, optimista said:

Think we need to see his comments in a wider historical context.

You mean, the culture of never being wrong. Even when nuclear bombs fall on Berlin, they will blame Ukrainians for not surrendering, never themselves. 

23 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

This is not how criminal liability works. You buy Russian gas and oil, and that money is used for war to kill Ukrainians. Not Sweden, not Israel, not the Falkland islands. You

Still no mention of Israel then.

7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I didn't vote Merkel nor the SPD - the parties that are resposible for the oil and gas deals with Russia. I personally never trusted Putin. And what has the Falkland Islands got to do with anything? 

Again, what is Israel doing for the Ukraine? 

12 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

And to your defense, you do nothing but play beleidigte Leberwurst

In the beginning I was really and truly sympathetic to Melnyk's deploring and arguments, but in the meantime his constant wining and criticism is turning me and a lot of other people off his person (not the Ukraine).  Most western countries including Germany are doing the best they can under the circumstances. 

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

You mean, the culture of never being wrong. Even when nuclear bombs fall on Berlin, they will blame Ukrainians for not surrendering, never themselves. 

Another stupid anti-German comment from you. Personally, I'd prefer the Kremlin with Putin wiped out. 

6 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Still no mention of Israel then.

Well, he did. He defended Israel because they aren't buying Russian oil or gas. 

58 minutes ago, bramble said:

Another stupid anti-German comment...

Disagree. I think this is exactly what the Russians will say based on Kelin s statements thus far. The mechanism is plain to see.

3 hours ago, bramble said:

And what has the Falkland Islands got to do with anything? 

Just another small country you can put a blame on like you did to Israel. Antarctica also. Did Antarctica help Ukraine? No. 

Some reality for you:

1653665990614.jpg.727d055042bc8f1dd78589

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Just another small country you can put a blame on like you did to Israel. Antarctica also. Did Antarctica help Ukraine? No. 

You're off your rocker. At least you're good for a laugh. 

1 hour ago, bramble said:

You're off your rocker. At least you're good for a laugh. 

He's even funnier in the 9€ train ticket thread mansplaining to people in Germany how it works.

Hmm, seems we do have moderation after all, both the post by yorkeau with the German sell out comment and my question in response have gone missing!:huh:

On 5/30/2022, 8:18:57, keith2011 said:

Hmm, seems we do have moderation after all, both the post by yorkeau with the German sell out comment and my question in response have gone missing!:huh:

"For my friends, everything. For my enemies, the law".

The Energy Ministry announced Monday that it has begun preparing new tenders to explore offshore for natural gas, in an effort to help maintain Europe’s supplies as the continent weans itself off Russian energy.

As Western countries sanction Russia over its invasion of Ukraine and look for alternative energy sources, Israel has worked to position itself to become a key supplier using deposits in the Mediterranean Sea.

“Israel is helping Europe to diversify its energy sources,” Energy Minister Karine Elharrar said in a statement.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-to-issue-new-gas-exploration-bids-in-reversal-amid-europe-supply-crunch/?fbclid=IwAR0oMSP62UpFwCh5xW8stKTp-XEnyhY-EfJcWaz9OjytJTwuBI7AkTC0Xtw

It is a rather long-term shoot. I expect this war to take years if not the whole decade. Only the death of Putin will stop it, and unfortunately, he will live longer and die naturally. 

Israel does not have many gas reserves, but enough to supply several southern EU countries such as Greece, Cyprus, and Italy. 

On 30.5.2022, 20:50:54, john g. said:

Simon Jenkins with a controversial piece in the Guardian calling for the end of sanctions on Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/30/eu-forget-sanctions-russia-ukraine-food-energy-prices#comment-156746556

From that link:

Sanctions may have harmed Russia’s credit-worthiness, but the 70% surge in world gas prices alone has supercharged its balance of payments. Its current account trade surplus, according to its central bank, is now over three times the pre-invasion level. At the same time, sanctions are clearly hurting countries in western and central Europe who are imposing them.

It is already blockading the Black Sea ports, from which millions of tons of Ukrainian grain are normally shipped to the outside world. This blockade has seen cereal prices rise 48% on their 2019 base, devastating markets, particularly across Africa. This in turn has increased the value of Russia’s own massive grain exports

Millions of innocent people across Europe and far from its shores will suffer as food and energy prices soar. Supply lines are disrupted. Trade links collapse. The victims are overwhelmingly the poor.

The objective – to compel Russia to withdraw its forces from Ukraine – has patently not been achieved. Military aid has been far more effective in that respect. But the harm done to the rest of Europe and the outside world is now glaring. The EU should stick to helping Ukraine’s war effort and withdraw economic sanctions against Russia. They are self-defeating and senselessly cruel.

Why are these obvious truths not discussed broadly? You hardly hear them in the media unless you specifically search for them.

Yes, let's appease Putin yet again and throw the brave Ukrainian people to the wolves. Who needs freedom anyway?

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Yes, let's appease Putin yet again and throw the brave Ukrainian people to the wolves. Who needs freedom anyway?

26 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

@El Jeffo, yeah, and let's let Putin create this precendent, that resource blackmail works!

Any substantial counterarguments? Like pointing out where Jenkins is wrong?